Why has offense regressed since the bye week?

RussB

Reaction score
Im starting to think they lost rhythm after the bye. The jets as bad as they are at this time still have a pretty good D line a decent secondary. Offense looked explosive against them also against the niners, then they struggled against a falcons D that lets face it, isnt that great, just average. Then of course what happened today really needs no explanation

Wtf is going on? I honestly think they would have struggled to move the ball against the same jets team today, it seems like they have gone away from whatever was working before. Or just plain and simple lost momentum. Baldwin is also not making as many plays as he used to after the bye , jimmy G also.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RussB":1peefk6m said:
Im starting to think they lost rhythm after the bye. The jets as bad as they are at this time still have a pretty good D line a decent secondary. Offense looked explosive against them also against the niners, then they struggled against a falcons D that lets face it, isnt that great, just average. Then of course what happened today really needs to explanation

Wtf is going on? I honestly think they would have struggled to move the ball against the same jets team today, it seems like they have gone away from whatever was working before. Or just plain and simple lost momentum. Baldwin is also not making as many plays as he used to after the bye , jimmy G also.

The offense struggled last week?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RussB":23r84lhk said:
Im starting to think they lost rhythm after the bye. The jets as bad as they are at this time still have a pretty good D line a decent secondary. Offense looked explosive against them also against the niners, then they struggled against a falcons D that lets face it, isnt that great, just average. Then of course what happened today really needs to explanation

Coaching isn't consistent or we wouldn't keep seeing the same issues appear randomly throughout the year.

There are highs and lows every year with the offense but almost every year the defense is a rock, ever wonder why?

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2glhze4e said:
RussB":2glhze4e said:

Yeah, to me it seemed like they did a little. I know the scoreboard said otherwise but they didnt look as explosive.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3kx4e5ow said:
RussB":3kx4e5ow said:

Coaching isn't consistent or we wouldn't keep seeing the same issues appear randomly throughout the year.

There are highs and lows every year with the offense but almost every year the defense is a rock, ever wonder why?
Could it be

seahawks-bears-football.jpg

This guy?

mrt144

Reaction score
The O Line is a litmus test for opposing D Lines. If we look foolish they're good, if not then the opposing team should invest more in the D Line. It seems simple and crude but it seems to hold.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RussB":occjkl6r said:
Hawkpower":occjkl6r said:
RussB":occjkl6r said:

Yeah, to me it seemed like they did a little. I know the scoreboard said otherwise but they didnt look as explosive.

I suppose.

I just think the easy narrative right now is to go ballistic on the offense, but last week we were all blasting the defense after the 3rd quarter implosion.

I just think fans on this site are knowledgeable enough to not fall into that trap.

12thbrah

Reaction score
This is the first elite defense we have faced all season. Its pretty obvious Russ has almost zero mobility and because of that he no longer can cover up for our deficiencies on the o-line.

Rob12

Reaction score
They honestly haven't looked good all year.

We're tied with the damn Chicago Bears for fewest points scored in the NFC.

18.5 PPG. This offense hasn't been in a rhythm all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How are the Cardinals 'Elite'??

This is the same defense that NE with a backup QB just ABUSED and then so did a near hapless Buffalo.

Just because we lost or tied with them does not make them good. We lose games when we cannot score enough points.

Which means we have a few more Ls coming. Because there is no way we will be able to score more than 20 against NE and there is no way NE is scoring less than 20 IN New England. I imagine a few more teams that put up pinball #s would give us fits too.

The only way we beat Atlanta, which puts up really great #s even on good defenses, is because Atlanta has a terrible defense. But teams with a great offense and mediocre or even slightly good defense? They will eat us for lunch.

Not because our defense cannot hang, because eventually, they are going to tire after watching our incompetent OC checking boxes and punting for a full half.

This is going to be like the year the Ravens won the SB with that great defense, but bear in mind they changed more rules to make it harder for a defense to win since then. This team is going to have to win knowing its offense is almost an anchor it has to ask the defense to drag behind it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2o6f646q said:
RussB":2o6f646q said:

Did you watch the 2nd half. That's now 7 straight quarters of struggle.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RussB":3givwj0a said:
NFSeahawks628":3givwj0a said:
RussB":3givwj0a said:

Could it be
seahawks-bears-football.jpg

This guy?

Gross. Yes.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Rob12":32wzcep7 said:
They honestly haven't looked good all year.

We're tied with the damn Chicago Bears for fewest points scored in the NFC.

18.5 PPG. This offense hasn't been in a rhythm all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really concerning. 18.5 ppg is not going to get it done in the playoffs. It's truly a testament to our remarkable D that we're 4-1-1.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go check the schedule.

It has more to do with us playing crappy teams.

One of which we lost to btw.

NINEster

Reaction score
mrt144":3148fnbj said:
The O Line is a litmus test for opposing D Lines. If we look foolish they're good, if not then the opposing team should invest more in the D Line. It seems simple and crude but it seems to hold.

My guess:

1) Really good DL/average LBs seems to negate Cable's zone run scheme better than say, good DL with better LBs
2) Really good DL gets the kind of push that makes Wilson uncomfortable more and maybe struggle to see better downfield

What else makes sense really?

Rams, Dolphins are never in the running for top 5 NFL defense week in and week out.

Cardinals have always had good DL and LBs....and DBs.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Arians planned a defensive game like he would for any regular team, with a regular pocket-passing QB.

This is something that wouldn't normally work, because if you commit too much rush toward Wilson, you're likely to get burned as he spins out and makes a running pass (or runs himself). It worked today because Russ is either can't or won't scramble quick enough to squeak out of the collapsing pocket.

Our offensive line is not good enough to protect a pocket passer. So plays never had a chance to develop.

The oline tried to make up for their inadequacy by holding blatantly, getting caught, then putting the offense in difficult yardage situations.

On top of that, we probably could have run the ball more. Only 11 attempts in regulation (around 30 pass attempts), and a couple of those were 3rd and long type situations. It seemed, at times, that Bevell was calling plays like we were down by 10 points with a minute left in the game, even though we were only down by three and it was still the first half.

mrt144

Reaction score
NINEster":2st94wpx said:
mrt144":2st94wpx said:

My guess:

1) Really good DL/average LBs seems to negate Cable's zone run scheme better than say, good DL with better LBs
2) Really good DL gets the kind of push that makes Wilson uncomfortable more and maybe struggle to see better downfield

What else makes sense really?

Rams, Dolphins are never in the running for top 5 NFL defense week in and week out.

Cardinals have always had good DL and LBs....and DBs.

Not as a whole unit no, but their D Lines are absolutely the best aspects of their respective teams.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Our offense has never been there. We've had some offensive success against sub-par defenses, but it was not sustained for a whole game. This confuses me, because between Baldwin and Graham we have a good receiving core. Our role players are also top notch in Kease, Richardson, and Lockett. Even if the Seahawks offensive line is not the best, there is no excuse for this kind of performance.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Russell is hurt, Our tackles are awful, and our OC doesn't call plays situationally very well.

Largent80

Reaction score
We simply have a hard time sustaining drives. Especially on 3rd down. We had 2 friggin first downs the entire first half.

Latest posts