No timeout?

SchadyHawk

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they call time out before sending him out there? Reminded me of the Ohio State game where the kick seemed unnecessarily rushed. Maybe he still misses but at least give him the time to setup

soje

Reaction score
SchadyHawk":1az5yc6n said:
Why wouldn't they call time out before sending him out there? Reminded me of the Ohio State game where the kick seemed unnecessarily rushed. Maybe he still misses but at least give him the time to setup

I was wondering the exact same thing. Before the FG attempt, there was still plenty of time on the clock to:

1) run one more running play
2) If it's a TD, we win.
3) If it's not a TD, we let the clock run to 1 second and call time out
4) kick FG

The way it was executed, after we missed the FG, Arizona still had time to run a passing play for first down and a Hail Mary. Unnecessary risk.

drewba

Reaction score
My guess is that by kicking with several seconds left, if there was a bad snap, Ryan could eat the ball and call timeout, giving them another chance.

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
Forgive me if I am wrong but this was a regular season game in which we both had possession in OT already. FG wins regardless right?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I thought they would've got it down to 0:02 and called T.O. Even so, SH has to nail that. And it was a shocker of a kick.

mrt144

Reaction score
drewba":25pabhqo said:
My guess is that by kicking with several seconds left, if there was a bad snap, Ryan could eat the ball and call timeout, giving them another chance.

That is a bad way to look at it though,

Take the worst possible outcome (okay, bar the block and return of a TD, but that ends the game either way with a loss in either scenario) a miss or bobbled snap as time runs out. Take best possible outcome, a made FG. The what if of a bobbled snapped recovered is so low that the value of the upside barely factors or compares to taking it down to zero.

We saw how close AZ did get with the scant time they had. Being able to rekick a bobbled snap is already unlikely and wouldn't outweigh the possibility of a hail mary play at the end, like we almost saw.

Taking a kick at 0 elminates as much downside risk as possible while kicking with time only increases upside a fraction of a percent.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahawks4eva":rmscpsde said:
Forgive me if I am wrong but this was a regular season game in which we both had possession in OT already. FG wins regardless right?

Correct. It was sudden death.

soje

Reaction score
mrt144":3k3qy9ns said:
drewba":3k3qy9ns said:

That is a bad way to look at it though,

Take the worst possible outcome (okay, bar the block and return of a TD, but that ends the game either way with a loss in either scenario) a miss or bobbled snap as time runs out. Take best possible outcome, a made FG. The what if of a bobbled snapped recovered is so low that the value of the upside barely factors or compares to taking it down to zero.

We saw how close AZ did get with the scant time they had. Being able to rekick a bobbled snap is already unlikely and wouldn't outweigh the possibility of a hail mary play at the end, like we almost saw.

Taking a kick at 0 elminates as much downside risk as possible while kicking with time only increases upside a fraction of a percent.

Do the Seahawks need a clock management coach? Pay me 200k a year and I'll solve all their problems in that area, only using common sense and the algebra I learned back in 3rd grade.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'm thinking Pete may have asked Hauschka and Hauschka waved off the TO? In that situation you ask your kicker what he wants and tee it up for him. Didn't work this time.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
If you ask me I say PC should have called time out right before the snap, tell his snapper to snap the ball anyway and let Haush get a free practice shot. It's worked against him. Why not for him?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The what if on a bobbled snap becomes much more likely if you don't have a good LS.

Maybe that played into it.

Frankly, it should not have had to come down to that.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1dlg1gq4 said:
The what if on a bobbled snap becomes much more likely if you don't have a good LS.

Maybe that played into it.

Frankly, it should not have had to come down to that.

Even if with our current LS, the odds of a bobbled snap, not a bad snap that is caught and placed by Ryan are still very very small. It seems like small insurance but it's giving the other team way more upside to defeat you than taking it down to zero, especially in a Tie as most common adverse outcome.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Everything was so unnecessarily rushed at the end. Call TO, get everyone relaxed, in position and then you're ready to go.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Pete said that if things didn't look right on the kick he was going to call the timeout be he felt everything looked good. As horrible as we were I'm happy with the tie!

TwilightError

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2ho8x4s5 said:
Everything was so unnecessarily rushed at the end. Call TO, get everyone relaxed, in position and then you're ready to go.

This. Not doing that was just plain stupid, unexplainable, and maybe cost us the game.

Latest posts