Trade Rawls for a LT?

beastalamode

Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe the browns might bite if we packaged him with a 2nd rounder. Joe Thomas is the piece that makes us the super bowl fave. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
B

beastalamode

Reaction score
As far as why I would want to unload Rawls:

1. High ceiling: He has the potential to be a top 5 rb in the league.

2. He's under contract through next year only. That means he will want an extension after this year correct? Do we really want to shell out big money to the rb position with a qb like Russ on our team? I sure don't.

3. We need a LT. See the turnstile/ flag machine that is Bradley Sowell.

OP
OP
B

beastalamode

Reaction score
Not necessarily with the browns, I just used them as an example. there's gotta be some team out there with a decent LT that would be interested in Rawls.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Crowell and Duke Johnson are doing pretty well for the Browns this year. Don't see them trading a premier LT for a currently injured RB.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
My guess is that Rawls has near 0 trade value. Left tackles are one of the NFL's most sought after commodities. RB's are a dime a dozen.

McGruff

Reaction score
beastalamode":2pbot8ju said:
As far as why I would want to unload Rawls:

1. High ceiling: He has the potential to be a top 5 rb in the league.

2. He's under contract through next year only. That means he will want an extension after this year correct? Do we really want to shell out big money to the rb position with a qb like Russ on our team? I sure don't.

3. We need a LT. See the turnstile/ flag machine that is Bradley Sowell.

1. So, why trade a top 5RB? That makes no sense.

2. He's actually under club control for 2 MORE seasons. He's got a three year deal, but he would be an RFA after the 3rd year, and we could keep him for cheap.

3. Not gonna argue #3, cause its true. But there is a better way to address it than trading a young ascending cheap talent for an old, declining expensive stop gap.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Nobody is trading a good left tackle for an injured second year undrafted running back.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No.

We don't have cap room. It's pointless to keep repackaging this 'trade for a LT' dream. Even if we found a willing partner. It can't happen.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No one wants Rawls. He's a guy who had small sample size of really good games, but his injuries will keep teams away. Not to mention Cleveland already has a really solid RB core of Crowell and Duke Johnson. They need a QB, I doubt we give them Russell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If the Browns are going to trade Thomas, and they have been for a good 2-3 years now.........they want high draft picks, not an injured unproven RB to go along with their own stable of unproven RB's.

I also think we'd have a VERY hard time fitting Thomas's salary under our cap. Right now we have 5.5M of cap space, and Thomas is making over 8M this year. So even at a pro-rated amount it might not be possible without restructuring a couple contracts.

Fade

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1wz8a7in said:
No.

We don't have cap room. It's pointless to keep repackaging this 'trade for a LT' dream. Even if we found a willing partner. It can't happen.

Actually the Seahawks have the cap room after week 7.

Joe Thomas would cost around $5M the rest of the way, and Seattle has around $6M. Last year btw Seattle had under $1M most of the season last year, so there is precedent for Seattle to push themselves right up against the cap.

What we don't know is the Browns asking price. They may be asking for two 1st rounders, which no one will do.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Fade":16ilxq23 said:
Attyla the Hawk":16ilxq23 said:
No.

Actually the Seahawks have the cap room after week 7.

Joe Thomas would cost around $5M the rest of the way, and Seattle has around $6M. Last year btw Seattle had under $1M most of the season last year, so there is precedent for Seattle to push themselves right up against the cap.

What we don't know is the Browns asking price. They may be asking for two 1st rounders, which no one will do.

Well if it's a 1 first rounder, which is what is reported, Hawks have a history there, albeit, play makers, but they may be swayed... That said, Cable would reject it I'm sure as it would hurt his feelings somewhat a lot.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I read somewhere that we're at 30 million in cap space next year, so paying a premier LT isn't out of the question.

I have no problem trading a 1st rounder for Thomas. I just don't know how much impact bringing him in halfway through the season would have. He's a smart veteran but still integrating yourself into a new offense isn't always easy.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawks46":3tmpjoh5 said:
I read somewhere that we're at 30 million in cap space next year, so paying a premier LT isn't out of the question.

I have no problem trading a 1st rounder for Thomas. I just don't know how much impact bringing him in halfway through the season would have. He's a smart veteran but still integrating yourself into a new offense isn't always easy.

We probably just tell him something like.. See that back with the 3 on it.. don't let anyone hit it.

Fade

Reaction score
I would propose in week 8.

LT Bradley Sowell
2017 1st round Pick
2019 Conditional 1st round pick - Conditional on the Seahawks winning a Superbowl in '16, '17, or '18. If not it reverts to a 3rd round pick.

Bradley Sowell gives them a stop gap LT for the rest of the year, another 1st round pick to hasten their rebuild, and a good chance at another 1st rounder, at worst they get another 3rd rounder.

Seattle gets a premier LT in his thirties, at an affordable price for the next 2.5 years. 2016 -$5.18M, 2017 -$10M, 2018 -$10M.

THE BIG POINT
----------------------
If Seattle is going to spend a 1st rounder on a LT in the upcoming draft, you might as well spend it now on a known quantity in Joe Thomas. A 1st round LT in 2017 can't help you now, and there is no guarantee a rookie will be any good anyway. (See Tom Cable, and his track record with Offensive Tackles.)

As an additional note, and why it makes a lot of sense is Seattle has no major free agents in 2017 to spend cap on. C-Mike, Luke Willson, and the Kicker are their big Free Agents. Mike B, & Kam may get extensions this upcoming off-season, but that will lead to them having lower cap numbers in 2017, or at worst the same.

This is not a move that only helps the Seahawks for the rest of this year, but for the next 2.5 years. ('16-'17-'18.)

BOTTOM LINE
--------------------
This move fits under the salary cap. The only question is the Browns may be asking for a king's ransom, and Seattle are weighing / thinking they might be able to get away with Sowell at LT, and still win a Superbowl.