What really pisses me off

ivotuk

Reaction score
Is when defensive (or offensive) playes see a ball on the ground, and just stand around. I've seen a lot of that from this team this year, on both sides of the ball. Meanwhile, other teams players dive on the ball or pick it up and run.

I've seen it on our offense on a couple of poorly thrown, behind the LOS balls. It hits the ground, and everyone stands around an looks at it, except for players on the other team. This is what is meant by "wanting it more."

When did this team become so lackadaisical about a ball on the ground? Considering how badly referees call games sometimes, they should NEVER assume a ball is dead.

sutz

Reaction score
I suspect this will be a hot topic in this week's film study. Certainly doesn't jive with Pete's "It's all about the ball" philosophy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Other than that cheap TD yesterday on the Fitzpatrick fumble, I really haven't noticed what you're talking about.

But overall yes I could use a little more ball hawking and wild dog mentality on both sides of the ball. The D is obviously playing very well, but still IMO aren't up to the 2013 insane crazy wild dogs hunger of that defense, thus less turnovers.

But it's getting better as the season goes along, hopefully that'll continue.

byau

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2ya1d7t1 said:
fenderbender123":2ya1d7t1 said:
I've noticed a lot of Cam Newtoning as well.
.gif or it didn't happen

Don't have any .gif abilities, but been noticing something similar.

Just from what I recall, I'd venture that guys are really trying to become experts at tackling. Not a big surprise, it's what Pete preaches, especially the rugby tackle

What I've noticed, the side effect is that guys are going for the tackle, not the ball

And in fact except for Kam, it seems they are going for the tackle, and not the HIT

The defense is really good at stopping plays and keeping teams off the scoreboard for the most part, but over the last few years this D has turned into a great tackling team. Not as much of a great hitting team nor a great turnover team.

In the 2014-15 SB run the team briefly got back to hitting, I think in the Philly game. But definitely went away from it again 2015-2016. And I see it again this year too

rcaido

Reaction score
I haven't really notice this happening, can you give another example when this happened?

For me & i think its related, its when we have a big lead, we tend too not put our foot down our opponents throat. I hate the idea of letting the gas pedal down just because we got the game won. Probably reason why no effort to get the ball at that time. It happen in the 49ers game too.

Watching the Stealers last night or other teams like the Patriots/Tards, they always try to run-up the score.

nrayorr

Reaction score
I wasn't very pleased with that fumble either. When I played I was taught to play until the whistle blows. That is what I teach when I coached my pop warner team. I was very surprised about that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":60k3vvia said:
Other than that cheap TD yesterday on the Fitzpatrick fumble, I really haven't noticed what you're talking about.

But overall yes I could use a little more ball hawking and wild dog mentality on both sides of the ball. The D is obviously playing very well, but still IMO aren't up to the 2013 insane crazy wild dogs hunger of that defense, thus less turnovers.

But it's getting better as the season goes along, hopefully that'll continue.

Agreed. It seems like we don't try to rip any balls out anymore. Although to be fair, when we do it's invariably called an incomplete pass 5 yards later. I can understand the frustration but they have to keep trying. I see more home run hits than trying to force fumbles.

Watching the replay on this one, the ball bounces right to the Jets WR. I don't think anyone would've gotten it had they really ran for it, but bodies on the ground might've tripped the guy up. In another thread, I put this one on Wright as he ran right by a guy with the ball after no whistle was blown.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
byau":196xlujj said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":196xlujj said:
fenderbender123":196xlujj said:
.gif or it didn't happen

Just from what I recall, I'd venture that guys are really trying to become experts at tackling. Not a big surprise, it's what Pete preaches, especially the rugby tackle

What I've noticed, the side effect is that guys are going for the tackle, not the ball

And in fact except for Kam, it seems they are going for the tackle, and not the HIT

The defense is really good at stopping plays and keeping teams off the scoreboard for the most part, but over the last few years this D has turned into a great tackling team. Not as much of a great hitting team nor a great turnover team.

In the 2014-15 SB run the team briefly got back to hitting, I think in the Philly game. But definitely went away from it again 2015-2016. And I see it again this year too
I presume by "Cam Newtoning" he means shying away from diving on a bouncing ball. Hence my skepticism, and call for evidence.

kobebryant

Reaction score
ivotuk":29ppvz9r said:
I've seen it on our offense on a couple of poorly thrown, behind the LOS balls. It hits the ground, and everyone stands around an looks at it, except for players on the other team. This is what is meant by "wanting it more."

Do you have any examples you can cite to back up this assertion with?

byau

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1mpzl1tz said:
byau":1mpzl1tz said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":1mpzl1tz said:
fenderbender123":1mpzl1tz said:
.gif or it didn't happen

I presume by "Cam Newtoning" he means shying away from diving on a bouncing ball. Hence my skepticism, and call for evidence.

Missed that. Agree with you there then, I haven't seen them shy away for the ball. Lackadasically standing by and not going for the ball vs shying away is two different things.

If we're talking about the "standing by and not going for the ball", that's more my point. The focus seems to have moved from going for the ball to going for the tackle (not even going for the hit)

Interestingly catching up on some interviews and news, Sherm's commentary about how he got that interception almost confirms this. He basically said to himself to heck with coverage, I'm turning my head to make a play on the ball. And he did. That's something that's been missing.

I remember another play from Sunday, while watching the slo-mo. It was a tackle or a sack by Wagner and he had the offensive guy well under control and wrapped up, and his positioning was such that it looked like he could have easily wrenched the arms or tried to punch the ball but he didn't.

Let's hope that Sherm's commentary and getting some INT reminds the guys to go for the ball.

mrt144

Reaction score
Given the overall emphasis on not lighting dudes up when the play stops, it doesn't seem indicative of anything other than a fluke play where everything but the whistle suggested it was a done deal. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I remember Lockette doing something like that in the SB.. ok sorry.

Smellyman

Reaction score
This is a perception vs reality thing. I haven't noticed this at all.

Either some examples or its not true.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Shead was trying to knock the ball out on a couple pass receptions when it was a gang tackle situation , it just didn't come out though

sc85sis

Reaction score
Wrap up first then help is supposed to arrive to help strip the ball. Whiff on a tackle and it could be bad news.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
byau":28oufc1y said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":28oufc1y said:
fenderbender123":28oufc1y said:
.gif or it didn't happen

Good observation. I agree with you. I'd rather have a good tackling team. It will pay dividends when they face guys like Gurley, etc who don't fall down at just hits. While it's not highlight material, it prevents opponents from making a bigger play. The Seahawks tackled better while the Jets didn't. The announcers spoke about it quite a bit yesterday and it was one of the reasons the Seahawks won yesterday's game.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":et0lqz6a said:
Wrap up first then help is supposed to arrive to help strip the ball. Whiff on a tackle and it could be bad news.
Except when youd see Earl in the first few games launch shoulders first at open air. Tackle first .

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Latest posts