Should we Blitz More?

RW92

Reaction score
It was a great win going into the bye week. And hopefully we will heal and be ready for the rest of the season.

The next game is at home against a strong Atlanta team. If there is an early watershed moment for this season it will be that game. If the Hawks win that one in stellar fashion, they are truly on their way.

But I still feel at times that we need to blitz more on true passing downs. If we play soft zone on Atlanta the outcome could be disappointing. I know Reed was out today and he was sorely missed. Rubin still has difficulty creating an interior push when he is in. I just don't see anything positive from him at this time.

Which brings me to my original question. Should we play Clark more in this game with situational blitzes? And second what is the forum's opinion on Quinton Jefferson? I think he could play an asset as the season progresses. If given time he could be a young player that will continue to develop.

In any event, savor the win, and hopefully Russell will get a visit from Mr. Miyagi to heal his knee.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
only if it's Wags,, he's a beast on blitzes, otherwise we just seemed to get burned.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
NO. Blitzing is what gives up the Julio Jones type plays.

A lot of people don't realize this... playing zone is how you get interceptions. Why? Because the eyes of the secondary are on the QB, and defenders can see the route concepts coming at them. They can anticipate and jump routes leading to big hits and turnovers. See SB 48.

Blitzing gets pressure on the QB, but leaves you much more vulnerable to a big play if the pressure does't get there in time... or the QB hits the proper quick outlet pass. This is what Manning an Brady excelled at.

Its a trade-off. The Hawks don't bring pressure much, but rarely give up the big play (Julio Jones style). We force other QB's into check-downs. This can be frustrating to us fans early in the game as other teams dink and dunk down the field... but it is sign that our defense is taking away the big play. However, when our offense gets a lead, and the other team is forced to push the ball downfield, the TO's... "come in bunches". It has been the hawks defensive game plan for the last 6 years. We should understand it by now. It works.

One thing I think our defense does pretty well, but could be better at is: ALWAYS SHOW PRESSURE. That is... always give the appearance that you are blitzing on every down (even when your are not). By giving the appearance of pressure, you make the QB nervous presnap. Often, upon sensing a blitz, the QB will audible out of the original play. Thus, the defense is dictating to the QB and making the offense react.

What do QB's "check to" when the think there is pressure coming? Quick 3 step routes, fade/fade-stop, short swing routes, or screen/draw. By making the offense react, the defense has just cut the offensive playbook in half, into more predictable passing concepts.

And even better, by not actually bringing the blitz... the defense drops into their 8 man zone (from a blitz look) and all 8 pair of eyes are on the QB ready to jump the quick 3 step routes, fades, screen/draws etc... That's when the TO's happen.

That's how good defense works. This is a good defense. Don't need to change it. Just need to play it properly and be assignment correct.

"Its all about us...not them."

Mick063

Reaction score
My only issue with the defense is that the linebackers drop a little too deep in zone coverage for my liking.

Delayed routes by backs out of the backfield have always been a pain in the ass for the Seahawks. I noticed today that after Forte hurt them, they installed Marsh as a Forte spy within a zone concept. The first time I have ever noticed Seattle effectively address their habitual weakness of allowing running backs to kill them in the passing game when using zone coverages.

For past examples, the Patriot's Shane Vereen in the Super Bowl was a killer when Seattle had their two score lead in the fourth quarter. The Ram's Bennie Cunningham has historically been a 3rd down converting machine as a receiver out of the backfield, although he wasn't used as much in the 2016 LA opener.

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
One last thought on this topic. As we peruse through this bye week and I scan the talent we have, I was thinking how would the "46" Defense look with this team. Constant pressure, disguised at various times would be quite the nasty coming out of the restful week. A change that could propel us to Texas come February. The talent is there, even with Mike Morgan on the mend. Give me your thoughts on this as we wait for the Falcons next week.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
The key is not to blitz more.

It needs to be done very selectively; and when it's on, it needs to get home.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Richard caught some flak in his first season as defensive coach, but one thing he wasn't criticized for was his timing with blitzes. He's good at that, and he knows whom to blitz (Wagner) and where.

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
Well it worked against Atlanta. If it worked once, I say do it again with feeling. I read that the Seahawks blitzed more than any game it quite some time. 39% of the defensive plays were disguised blitzes.

The only thing that I would like to see more from our guys is when they do blitz, if you can't get to the quarterback at least jump in the air as he throws to alter the path of his throw. Too many times I see our guys blitzing with their arms down instead of extended at that last instance to try and alter the pass or maybe even block the throw if lucky enough. Otherwise best defensive performance and speed I've seen on defense since the SuperBowl year.

Good luck this Sunday boys. And coach Richard "Keep on Keepin' On. Don't let up the pressure that you created last week. Bring home a win on Sunday Night.

RussB

Reaction score
Saw in an article that so far into the 2016 season seahawks have been the most successful team when they blitz. They had the highest sack percentage when blitzing. To me it seems like whenever they come out in that double a gap they always disrupt plays very effectively i want to see that double a gap formation some more.