Perspective for the blame game

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Don't know how to embed Vines... but watch this via the link below.

blob:https://vine.co/ea48e82b-570e-47ec-af7e-1e85643010ba

It's a four verticals play. The Rams blow the coverage vs Luke Willson across the middle and he is as wide open as Kenny Stills in week one. Russell throws down the sideline to Tyler Lockett for a downfield completion instead.

The play works because they get the yardage. It was a TD left on the field though -- all RW has to do is look at Willson. This is the perfect situational play call vs this defense and it should've been a massive six point play.

Laloosh

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1nt8qwuf said:

It's a four verticals play. The Rams blow the coverage vs Luke Willson across the middle and he is as wide open as Kenny Stills in week one. Russell throws down the sideline to Tyler Lockett for a downfield completion instead.

The play works because they get the yardage. It was a TD left on the field though -- all RW has to do is look at Willson. This is the perfect situational play call vs this defense and it should've been a massive six point play.

Yeah, not sure I'd make the claim that it has too much bearing on the blame game but I saw this one when going back through the game and it was obvious that Russ was looking for the home run ball. I was in the middle of typing something similar up for another thread before I was pulled into a conf call but they must have thought that they were going to be able to pick on that corner.

Every one of our deep passes was to the left, against that corner. Not a single deep pass to the middle (not all that common anyway) or to the right. The rams were playing a LOT of single high and 2 deep safeties, leaving the middle of the field WIDE open in a lot of our 11 and 21 personnel looks. They faked a fair amount of blitzes but the seam, slant and short cross were wide open on a lot of plays.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Graham also had outside contain on just a LB down by the goal line. All Russell had to do was check to an inside route and it's an easy TD. Millen talked about it yesterday.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Laloosh":3m48c7lp said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3m48c7lp said:

Yeah, not sure I'd make the claim that it has too much bearing on the blame game but I saw this one when going back through the game and it was obvious that Russ was looking for the home run ball. I was in the middle of typing something similar up for another thread before I was pulled into a conf call but they must have thought that they were going to be able to pick on that corner.

Every one of our deep passes was to the left, against that corner. Not a single deep pass to the middle (not all that common anyway) or to the right. The rams were playing a LOT of single high and 2 deep safeties, leaving the middle of the field WIDE open in a lot of our 11 and 21 personnel looks. They faked a fair amount of blitzes but the seam, slant and short cross were wide open on a lot of plays.

I think the point about the "blame game" is RW could have made better reads and made Bevell look like a genius. I couldn't play the vine either.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Can't watch the vine, but if it's the same play I'm thinking of someone's posted a GIF of it yesterday. It might be the angle, but it looks as though the safety makes a good play as Russ throws it to Lockett immediately. Had he looked at Luke right away, the safety would have went that direction.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh had the beginning of this play in a .gif. You could see Willson running away uncovered as the camera follows the deep safety who catches up to Lockett on what was still a nice gainer. There were some drops too that would've figured into the game, but that's football. Good find though English.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've been plenty willing to lay things at Wilson's feet - both successes and failures.

aawolf

Reaction score
Looks to me like the linebacker was covering Willson and Aaron Donald was a half second away from a sack when he let the ball go. Not sure if there is blame on Wilson here.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FWIW I just want to make it clear -- I'm not suggesting we pile on Russell Wilson here.

I just wanted to highlight at a time when we have people saying, 'they should've done this, they should've done that' -- there were clear examples like this one where just a fractionally different decision or a split second extra in the pocket and SEA scores points on big plays.

So really, there's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":29q0xcdd said:
FWIW I just want to make it clear -- I'm not suggesting we pile on Russell Wilson here.

I just wanted to highlight at a time when we have people saying, 'they should've done this, they should've done that' -- there were clear examples like this one where just a fractionally different decision or a split second extra in the pocket and SEA scores points on big plays.

So really, there's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Its a strange one to bring up, because clearly Wilson's decision was a good one, just not necessarily the best one. Be interested to see how many more times Wilson was in that set or similar and missed a better target.

Seems the whole group is misfiring.

ARhawk

Reaction score
Russ froze the safety in the middle of the field so that throw to Lockett was possible. Willson appears to be WIDE open because the single safety follows the ball. If he'd thrown it to Willson, he might've gained more yards, but he would have to beat the safety for it to be a touchdown.

Now, if Russ looked the safety over in Locketts direction and then threw it to Willson, it probably would have been a touchdown.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Looked like it was going to Lockett no matter what, Wilson keeps his eyes in the middle to fool the safety real quick then turns his head to Lockett immediately.

We don't use TE's enough for some reason. Bevell needs to get the TE's involved in the passing game. I don't know if it's Pete's fault that we don't use them enough, but I know Cable had great success with Zach Miller when they were with the Raiders. Bevell had alot of usage for them from 2008-2010, but 2006-2007 both times under 500 yards all with the Vikings.

The last time Bevell had an offense only scored 3 points was in 2010 with Brett Favre at the helm against Greenbay.

mrt144

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2b93v1rz said:

So Wilson is guilty of making less than optimal successful plays. Darn. Hope Bevell helps him see that in the film room.

Laloosh

Reaction score
StoneCold":2xmfe4l9 said:
Laloosh":2xmfe4l9 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2xmfe4l9 said:

I think the point about the "blame game" is RW could have made better reads and made Bevell look like a genius. I couldn't play the vine either.

Not that it was English's intent (which he clarifies is not the case in a later post), just seems like mentioning the "blaming" invites more emphasis on it than on the actual plays, calls, Wilson's reads, etc. I'm not a fan talking Bevell to death so I'm hoping that this particular thread, doesn't turn into one of "those".

I've seen a lot of plays that would have worked out nicely given better blocking, better reads by the QB or a RB not being faced with blocking a DT 1:1 resulting in a sack. I enjoy reading thoughts on all of it. Simply suggesting that the title invites derailing. It's not an accusation or a criticism, just feedback.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Laloosh":24bncyvc said:
StoneCold":24bncyvc said:
Laloosh":24bncyvc said:
theENGLISHseahawk":24bncyvc said:

Not that it was English's intent (which he clarifies is not the case in a later post), just seems like mentioning the "blaming" invites more emphasis on it than on the actual plays, calls, Wilson's reads, etc. I'm not a fan talking Bevell to death so I'm hoping that this particular thread, doesn't turn into one of "those".

I've seen a lot of plays that would have worked out nicely given better blocking, better reads by the QB or a RB not being faced with blocking a DT 1:1 resulting in a sack. I enjoy reading thoughts on all of it. Simply suggesting that the title invites derailing. It's not an accusation or a criticism, just feedback.

I'm guilty of allowing hyperbole to skew my comment, as I intended what English clarified and as I've said in other posts during the .Net meltdown. On any play their are 7 or 8 things that could have been just a bit different and change the result. Bevell makes mistakes, Pete makes mistakes, RW , Kam, Marsh even Jeff Fisher. My comments and I believe English's post is push back against the over reaction that we need a major overhaul and will never win another Superb Owl unless we do. Doesn't mean everything is fine. We need the Oline to gel for this season to get going. Could Pete and John have made different decisions and used some of the money they spent on Harvin, Graham or even Jamarcus Webb, to build a better Oline? Yes, but who wasn't psyched when we got Harvin? Who didn't do a little Happy Dance when we got Graham? Harvin was a disaster and Graham hasn't worked out as well as we'd hoped, mostly due to injury (his numbers were quite good last year and getting better). Let's revisit this after 8 games. I will clean and disinfect my rectal thermometer to take the temp of .Net at that time.