Game Plan vs. 49ers

NINEster

Reaction score
Figured we should start a constructive discussion on our upcoming game to take minds off our losses.

Seahawk O vs. 49er D:

Looking to see how the 49er CBs will match up on the Hawk WRs, and whether they'll go zone or man coverage. Will a spy be used on Wilson? Who will cover Jimmy Graham? Will Tartt play more than Bethea?

Will the Hawks go more 22 or 23 personnel or more 11 and 12? Is Wilson ready to resume the zone read?

Seahawk D vs. 49er O:

49ers will have to run the ball better than last week and find a way to get the ball into TEs hands in order to have success. Gabbert will have to make some downfield throws too. Not holding my breath he gets them to the WRs a lot.

Will the Hawks stack the box like other teams? Run blitz?

X-Factors:

Wilson's downfield throws to Lockett.
49er RBs in the passing game.
Hurry up tempo by Chip Kelly.
Lockett on returns.
Jonathan Ryan versus Bradley Pinion.

Turnovers will be huge.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Bevell doesn't gameplan. That is way too complex for his little mind

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Long developing run plays from shotgun with no fullback, up the gut. Then short screens behind the marker then punt. Jon Ryan's leg will win us this game! :sarcasm_off: :pukeface:

2_0_6

Reaction score
NO bubble screens.
NO read option attempts with a gimpy Russ.
NO 3rd down passes to C-Mike.

Fade

Reaction score
Game Plan?

Well based on recent games.

Offense

1) Leave Jimmy in to block. Do not send him out on routes. Especially in the red zone. He is the ultimate decoy, worth every penny. Also leave him 1-on-1 to block DEs because he is a really good blocker.

2) Continue to run the ball into loaded boxes, even if it isn't working. Keep doing it.

3) Misdirection, and counter runs are not allowed, must remain stubborn, and predictable at all times in the running game.

4) 3rd and manageable. Go empty, because you don't want to allow the pass rush to hesitate, and think the Hawks may run the ball, it is much more suitable to have the pass rush pin their ears back, and make a beeline right for your QB. (Especially when he is injured.)

5) RB screens don't exist. Why would you want to use a pass rusher's aggressiveness against them anyway?

6) Be afraid of the end zone, so once you get close, don't go vertical and attack the end zone w/Jimmy down the seam, instead go horizontal with bubble screens, and kick the field goal.

7) Always commit a procedural penalty every drive, because 1st & 10 is too easy. 1st & 15 is more optimal.

8- "They'll never see it coming". This strategy is best implemented when you have momentum and are putting together a good drive. Last week was the Alex Collins special. This week, stay tuned. It's called "They'll never see it coming" for a reason.

9) Zone Read. Even when your QB is no threat to run.

Defense

1) Sit back in a 3 Deep Zone, and have the underneath defenders lose track of the TE, and the backs coming out of the backfield.

2) Do not put Sherm on the other teams best receiver on 3rd down. We don't want the best ball hawk in the modern era getting INTs. Let's instead have him be the $15M decoy for the defense.

3) Commit an off-sides penalty when it's 3rd & 10. 3rd & 5 is more optimal.

4) No exotic looks, or coverages, you may confuse the QB and have him throw a pick.

Special Teams

1) Run the ball out of the end zone no matter what. I mean who wants to start at your own 25? When you can start at your own 15.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Based on what Pete said in his presser, we're going to ramp up our ground game. The O line will be getting extra attention this week.

On a side note, I see the usual knee-jerk reactionists on here making critical comments after a loss. I find the snide remarks about empty sets, bubble screens and whatnot mostly amusing myself, but I really get a kick out of it after watching Philly destroy the Bears last night with pretty much the same offensive philosophy. Empty sets, bubble screens and explosive downfield plays were used to destroy Chicago. And that's no coincidence since Bevell and Doug Pederson are from the same coaching tree. These plays work ... they have worked to the tune of the Hawks winning 65% of their games over the last 4 years. Solidify the line and tighten up the execution of the plays and we're butter

HawkinNY

Reaction score
We will look like trash for 3 and a half quarters. Maybe we will win. But it's not looking good.

Remember when the def scored points? Seahawks will break the record for the least amount of takeaways for a season this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Chuck it in the air and pray that Lockett is somewhere in the balls general area...

Sign37now

Reaction score
How do you make a game plan when your QB is consistently on his back?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So if we lose this one will people jump off the Bevell bandwagon?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2kbjzvkn said:
I don't know if you've ever played sports, but you win as a team and you lose as a team. And I personally enjoy how we've been winning as of late.

nash72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nuolxg1o said:
TwistedHusky":nuolxg1o said:
I don't know if you've ever played sports, but you win as a team and you lose as a team. And I personally enjoy how we've been winning as of late.

You also win and lose due to coaching. We have a talented team and it's nice we win a good but but its a shame that so many wins were left on the table due to poor coaching and that includes a Super Bowl. It's baffleing how anybody can back Bevell at this point.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's not baffling at all when you keep things in perspective. He's an important cog in a team that finds itself among the NFL elite the last 4 years.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Fade":dtwr1rv9 said:
Game Plan?

Well based on recent games.

Offense

1) Leave Jimmy in to block. Do not send him out on routes. Especially in the red zone. He is the ultimate decoy, worth every penny. Also leave him 1-on-1 to block DEs because he is a really good blocker.

2) Continue to run the ball into loaded boxes, even if it isn't working. Keep doing it.

3) Misdirection, and counter runs are not allowed, must remain stubborn, and predictable at all times in the running game.

4) 3rd and manageable. Go empty, because you don't want to allow the pass rush to hesitate, and think the Hawks may run the ball, it is much more suitable to have the pass rush pin their ears back, and make a beeline right for your QB. (Especially when he is injured.)

5) RB screens don't exist. Why would you want to use a pass rusher's aggressiveness against them anyway?

6) Be afraid of the end zone, so once you get close, don't go vertical and attack the end zone w/Jimmy down the seam, instead go horizontal with bubble screens, and kick the field goal.

7) Always commit a procedural penalty every drive, because 1st & 10 is too easy. 1st & 15 is more optimal.

8- "They'll never see it coming". This strategy is best implemented when you have momentum and are putting together a good drive. Last week was the Alex Collins special. This week, stay tuned. It's called "They'll never see it coming" for a reason.

9) Zone Read. Even when your QB is no threat to run.

Defense

1) Sit back in a 3 Deep Zone, and have the underneath defenders lose track of the TE, and the backs coming out of the backfield.

2) Do not put Sherm on the other teams best receiver on 3rd down. We don't want the best ball hawk in the modern era getting INTs. Let's instead have him be the $15M decoy for the defense.

3) Commit an off-sides penalty when it's 3rd & 10. 3rd & 5 is more optimal.

4) No exotic looks, or coverages, you may confuse the QB and have him throw a pick.

Special Teams

1) Run the ball out of the end zone no matter what. I mean who wants to start at your own 25? When you can start at your own 15.

Bevell is studying this and taking notes. Nailed it, Jon Ryan's leg is our most potent weapon. Hell why not just punt on 3rd and short now and then, get tricky like that! :sarcasm_off:

mikeak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ywm98c5m said:

That bandwagon has been on fire since The Superbowl play..... if people haven't gotten off yet then they are hopefully remembered by their family and friends.