Looking back at when we hired Jeff Ireland in summer of '14

silverandgold

Reaction score
I remember when we briefly hired Jeff Ireland as our draft consultant and people where snickering how our team made a mistake and how it will be the downfall our golden era. I literally prayed that our team would rid this man considering he was a terrible GM for the dolphins and honestly was scared of what is to come. A few weeks later the Seahawks parted ways with Ireland less than a month of hiring him. I felt overjoyed. Now a couple seasons later we are now a shadow of our former selves and it wasn't Ireland who did this, it was a OC we had since PC came to town. I find it ironic yet sad that we managed to save our selves of doom from laying off Ireland yet we still managed to slink down to the bottom of the food chain. And it was from an enemy from within, a double edged sword that planned to backfire on us. :( :cry: :229031_banghead: :cussing:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I was just thinking we needed another thread about Bevell.

Kudos for also bringing Jeff Ireland into the "sky is falling" version of Seahawks.net though.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3378au81 said:

Kudos for also bringing Jeff Ireland into the "sky is falling" version of Seahawks.net though.

I am not a sky is falling guy, but I do think when you play the first two games in the fashion we did that questions have to be asked. This is doubly so as this is a pattern. Slow season and slow game starts are correctable, and offensive strategy is the correction. Our OL is our OL, like it or not.

As an example, when you have a player that tends to make the same mistakes over and over again, you don't let that player continue game after game and just say, "he will eventually get better". No, you immediately begin working with that player to correct the issue. This is a problem that has hurt us for several years, and it is getting worse. It needs to be addressed if we want another Lombardi. Wild carding every year is not going to get it done, and there is no excuse for it with this level of talent on the roster.

I'm not saying "fire Bevell", as I am not sure this doesn't come from the top. It is an issue of inherrent strategy that needs to be addressed. One or two games is totally understandable, but even in the games we win we have an issue with slow starts, which says to me that the1.)gameplan did not fit the opponent. 2.) the other team is just simply better than we are. 3.)Our players have been trained to come out slow and focus on finishing.

1 can be fixed with adjustment.
2 can be fixed with luck or a superior strategy to maximize mismatches and misdirection
3 can be fixed with a change in practice philosophy.

All three happen in an NFL season, so we need to have answers and not just complaints. "we will do better next time" is nothing but words unless the root cause of the issue is addressed.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":77m6emfc said:
theENGLISHseahawk":77m6emfc said:

I am not a sky is falling guy, but I do think when you play the first two games in the fashion we did that questions have to be asked. This is doubly so as this is a pattern. Slow season and slow game starts are correctable, and offensive strategy is the correction. Our OL is our OL, like it or not.

As an example, when you have a player that tends to make the same mistakes over and over again, you don't let that player continue game after game and just say, "he will eventually get better". No, you immediately begin working with that player to correct the issue. This is a problem that has hurt us for several years, and it is getting worse. It needs to be addressed if we want another Lombardi. Wild carding every year is not going to get it done, and there is no excuse for it with this level of talent on the roster.

I'm not saying "fire Bevell", as I am not sure this doesn't come from the top. It is an issue of inherrent strategy that needs to be addressed. One or two games is totally understandable, but even in the games we win we have an issue with slow starts, which says to me that the1.)gameplan did not fit the opponent. 2.) the other team is just simply better than we are. 3.)Our players have been trained to come out slow and focus on finishing.

1 can be fixed with adjustment.
2 can be fixed with luck or a superior strategy to maximize mismatches and misdirection
3 can be fixed with a change in practice philosophy.

All three happen in an NFL season, so we need to have answers and not just complaints. "we will do better next time" is nothing but words unless the root cause of the issue is addressed.
Big picture. You bring up patterns ... well, the Hawks have habitually gotten it together mid season en route to the playoffs. Freaking out about it after Game 2 when we're 1-1 and tied for first place in the division goes against the grain of said pattern that you seek.