Long and Laurinaitis factors on Ram defense

kf3339

Reaction score
Since we are playing the Rams this week, I noticed that there run defense on week one was abysmal. I mean it was hard to believe they even knew what run defense looked like as a real NFL team.

This got me thinking that letting both Long and Laurinaitis go this last off season may have led to weakening their run defense. Both were not great pass rushers at this point, but seemed to still be more than capable run defenders. Perhaps the Rams miss-played their hand making these cuts and are regretting it as we speak.

All I know is that if that Ram run defense shows up Sunday against us we are going to rush for 150-200 yards without any problems.

We shall see.......

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kf3339":2h92j9cu said:
Since we are playing the Rams this week, I noticed that there run defense on week one was abysmal. I mean it was hard to believe they even knew what run defense looked like as a real NFL team.

This got me thinking that letting both Long and Laurinaitis go this last off season may have led to weakening their run defense. Both were not great pass rushers at this point, but seemed to still be more than capable run defenders. Perhaps the Rams miss-played their hand making these cuts and are regretting it as we speak.

All I know is that if that Ram run defense shows up Sunday against us we are going to rush for 150-200 yards without any problems.

We shall see.......

With Russell gimpy, they are going to stack the box and dare us to throw.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1h57js6e said:
kf3339":1h57js6e said:

We shall see.......

With Russell gimpy, they are going to stack the box and dare us to throw.

Let's hope so. There secondary is really bad.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I think that is overstated.

Certainly their veteran presence will be a void. But remember, they played without Robert Quinn last year (who is healthy this year). If anything, that's an upgrade in talent at the end. Long kind of struggled to make an impact for them last season and his contract was sizeable. Honestly, I think those two were kind of like our Hawthorne/Bryant type of players. And their young talent are now 3rd and 4th year pros. It was time for them to step up (or in Donald's case step off).

Ogletree is a much better LB than Laurinaitis. That is a very big upgrade for them. And he is playing at an extremely high level already.

They did struggle against SF. The niners have a pretty stout power run game. And I think while LA has a lot of talent on the DL -- I don't think they are particularly stout against a power scheme. They seem to be missing the run stuffing role player types.

kobebryant

Reaction score
While they've certainly moved on to better talents than Long and Laurenaitis, there's a certain element of intangibles, veteran leadership and accountability that left with them.

When your HC is as weak as Fisher, it is important to have a character like Chris Long around. I think we saw that lack of direction manifest itself on Monday in not only the performance, but the emotional meltdown as well.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Don't forget about jenkins and mcleod. That is a lot of talent to lose from the back end.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":11cz0uae said:
Don't forget about jenkins and mcleod. That is a lot of talent to lose from the back end.

You're right. I didn't even think about adding those two to the mix. Four starting vets is a lot to replace no matter if it's ability, veteran leadership or in-game adjustments by the defense on the field.

We shall see soon enough.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":1rcdll7f said:

We shall see.......

Wow, Long has laryngitis?........er uh um never mind.

Seriously though, I think you may be right, but I wouldn't put it past Fisher to have them back to playing some hardnose Run Defense this Sunday.....Though even if they do, I believe that with the talented Rock Pounders on our Roster, we are still going to get in a few really good runs on them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1f2ua25c said:

Those are bigger losses. Although McDonald seems to have accounted well for himself. But their secondary is pretty weak overall.