Could RW's ankle injury make the Seahawks offense better?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Just a thought here, you know the adage "overcoming difficult situations make you stronger"?

Well, I thought if Russell continues to have limited mobility maybe it will cause Bevell and gang to focus more intently on specific passing situations, quick routes, and slants, etc. I think this is inevitable with our offensive line but perhaps this will sure up Russell's comfortability in those situations.

Maybe the Seahawks find something that works? My guess is that there will be more of a balance of run and pass this week, but I'm optimistic and oddly looking forward to what the offensive game plan is for this Sunday.

A

Anonymous

I thought Bevell called a lot of these things to start the game, but the execution wasn't there from the offense. I think, however, that at times Russell doesn't know how good he actually is from the pocket so limited mobility might cause him to take the game over from the pocket, which I like. I like Russell from the pocket. Against a hungry Rams-team playing in LA for the first team we need to be sharp though.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Danish Hawk":1ko62h8z said:
I thought Bevell called a lot of these things to start the game, but the execution wasn't there from the offense. I think, however, that at times Russell doesn't know how good he actually is from the pocket so limited mobility might cause him to take the game over from the pocket, which I like. I like Russell from the pocket. Against a hungry Rams-team playing in LA for the first team we need to be sharp though.

Exactly, he might see that he feels better just standing there and that he can still be very efficient from the pocket. (see week 1 game winning drive)

I have no doubt Russell could take a game over standing in the pocket, it's just that he's never been able to do that due to our situation.

I'd almost prefer the pass plays to go more down field instead of just horizontally to the sideline. I know I'm probably not going to convince Bevell otherwise, but it would be nice. I'd really love to see a quick TE slant when Jimmy or Luke are lined up right next to the line. I'm pretty confident that would be successful more times than not. Basic play but tough to defend.

Seymour

Reaction score
Russell is fine. There is no mobility problem. He got his heel stepped on and it's sore but look to that last drive and see little to no mobility problems.
Business as usual for the offense.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I posted in another thread about the possibility that Russ will play better from the pocket and trust his arm more, and that his teammates will be more inspired to play their best if he's playing through a painful injury.

Smellyman

Reaction score
This Oline would get him killed. He needs his mobility.

Not to mention he is the most dangerous player in the league because of his mobility. Being able to do both makes Wilson...Wilson. The run game is great because of the read option threat. Big reason why they didn't miss a beat between Lynch, Rawls and Michael.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Smellyman":8zlrbus6 said:
This Oline would get him killed. He needs his mobility.

Not to mention he is the most dangerous player in the league because of his mobility. Being able to do both makes Wilson...Wilson. The run game is great because of the read option threat. Big reason why they didn't miss a beat between Lynch, Rawls and Michael.

I can definitely see both sides of the coin and I agree, I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of his current situation. I suppose the title is somewhat misleading.

Maybe not better overall but better given the circumstances.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Well I think we can guess that the read/keep option is gone for this week, maybe I'm wrong.

So that means the Rams won't have to respect his keep as much.

Which means the blocking up front better be on point.

I could see this game becoming a kicker's dream...10 punts, 6 field goals.

mrt144

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2tksi4d6 said:
Well I think we can guess that the read/keep option is gone for this week, maybe I'm wrong.

In the ultimate trickster coyote move, I imagine we do nothing but read option since they won't expect it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If they rely on Russell to throw it 45 times like last week, their d line will feast. We have got to establish the run this week. Pound that rock, leave russell out of harms way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3kmgwz7s said:
Well, I thought if Russell continues to have limited mobility maybe it will cause Bevell and gang to focus more intently on specific passing situations, quick routes, and slants, etc. I think this is inevitable with our offensive line but perhaps this will sure up Russell's comfortability in those situations.

Isn't this what we always try and do against the Rams, and it never works?

The Rams D manhandles our O-line and small WR's. The teams that destroy the Rams are teams that do what the Niners did Monday night, run the ball right down their throat. But that takes an O-Line and tempo that I don't think we're there yet with our O-line, so me thinks this will be another super frustrating close game into the 4th quarter cause our offense can't get anything going.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1mfw1z7n said:
I posted in another thread about the possibility that Russ will play better from the pocket and trust his arm more, and that his teammates will be more inspired to play their best if he's playing through a painful injury.
Hopefully especially the offensive line.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1dkyktom said:

It could shut down our running game. We might see a pocket-passing game on Sun.

GO HAWKS!

lobohawk

Reaction score
Expect the run game to take a hit without the RO in play. Even when Russell doesn't keep the ball, it benefits the RBs. You can see the impact tracing back to the improvement in the run game when they first implemented it.

mrt144

Reaction score
lobohawk":1xeeca4h said:
Expect the run game to take a hit without the RO in play. Even when Russell doesn't keep the ball, it benefits the RBs. You can see the impact tracing back to the improvement in the run game when they first implemented it.

On the other hand some Read Option passes...those might be on the table.

Mick063

Reaction score
Dan Marino was a statue. He was often the least sacked quarterback in the league.

Reduced mobility will do wonders for Wilson. I'm talking for the short term to get his head in the right place. There is a time and place for his improvising, but not every passing down. When forced to process quickly, he has been spectacular.

Bevel is complicit in limiting Wilson with play calling that works horizontally as opposed to vertically. Seattle is trying to use Lockett like the Rams are using Austin and they are getting similar results.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Plenty of teams find success without the read option. We did very well at the end of last season mixing up the run and short passes.

We need to mirror what we did end of last year. Bevell seemed to do OK when he was forced into a game plan that fit our OL and personnel. A few 10 to 15 yd passes in the middle relaxes pressure on the OL, making it easier for the run and some longer developing passing plays.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mick063":2l5s9mis said:
Dan Marino was a statue. He was often the least sacked quarterback in the league.

Reduced mobility will do wonders for Wilson. I'm talking for the short term to get his head in the right place. There is a time and place for his improvising, but not every passing down. When forced to process quickly, he has been spectacular.

Bevel is complicit in limiting Wilson with play calling that works horizontally as opposed to vertically. Seattle is trying to use Lockett like the Rams are using Austin and they are getting similar results.

I'd temper my expectations for the outcome of being thrown into the crucible of adversity without the one of the things that makes RW special, especially behind that ugly line.

It could do wonders for him but it could also be a horrible shit show. Here's hoping for the former.