DeShawn Shead: PFF top-rated CB for Week 1

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
There are still 2 games left tonight, but as of now DeShawn Shead has PFF's highest grade among all NFL CB's in Week 1 with a near ridiculous grade of 90.7. A grade of 85+ is considered All-Pro level. It wasn't a small sample size either, as Shead started and played every defensive snap for the Seahawks. Nice job, DeShawn.

PFF: When a cornerback comes out of a game with 53 snaps of action having allowed just 3 receiving yards, he has had a pretty good game. That’s exactly what Shead managed, breaking up one pass, laying a hit on Miami’s Arian Foster to break up another, and making a nice tackle for no gain on a receiver screen.

(FWIW, and perhaps quite surprisingly, Justin Britt and Garry Gilliam both had excellent grades in the upper 70s themselves)

kearly

Reaction score
He had a great game though it is a slight surprise given how rarely Shead was targeted. Obviously that means he was doing his job, but he wasn't given a ton of chances to make plays so I'm surprised he ended at #1.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
He has continued his stellar play from the preseason and surprised me somewhat that he can be a star and not "just a guy."

Lane and Sherman were also phenomenal.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Cool, can't wait until Cleveland/Jax/Tennessee/SF/Detroit throw $60M at Shead next year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2264i0qr said:
Cool, can't wait until Cleveland/Jax/Tennessee/SF/Detroit throw $60M at Shead next year.

At some point I'd imagine teams will realize that guys haven't exactly killed it after leaving Seattle (with regard to DBs).

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I believe we can give Sheed a First or Second Round tender next year, which is awesome. Or use that as leverage to sign him to a long-term extension if we choose to.

For what it's worth, Carroll said he thought Lane's plays were probably even more impressive than Shead's.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
hawknation2016":12lc4fts said:
I believe we can give Sheed a First or Second Round tender next year, which is awesome. Or use that as leverage to sign him to a long-term extension if we choose to.

For what it's worth, Carroll said he thought Lane's plays were probably even more impressive than Shead's.

Yes, he is a RFA.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
When I watch Shead, the thing that amazes me is his recovery ability. He often looks beat and comes flying in for a breakup. I don't know if he's baiting QBs or what, but quite often I go from oh shit to wooooo when watching him.

I think the 3 starting CB's gave up like 50 yds total yesterday? Hell of a day for them.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
They HAD to play great to cover for ET. You know ET wasn't plaing worth a damn the last few games last year and now a full step (or two) off the plays yesterday. Maybe he has gotten old and tired??????

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Marlin Man":1mhfr952 said:
They HAD to play great to cover for ET. You know ET wasn't plaing worth a damn the last few games last year and now a full step (or two) off the plays yesterday. Maybe he has gotten old and tired??????

I recall he had a game like this at the beginning of last season against San Diego. Because they don't really tackle much in practice, it may take him a little time to get back up to speed. Eventually, he was playing at a really high level.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He's a free agent next year, we got him to stay for this year at a very low price at $760k. If we win the Superbowl, Shead will be one of the underrated story.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":6ila43ai said:
He's a free agent next year, we got him to stay for this year at a very low price at $760k. If we win the Superbowl, Shead will be one of the underrated story.

Restricted Free Agent
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... ead-10429/

If they gave him a 2nd Round tender next year, Shead would get around $2.5 million, unless a team wants to give us a 2nd Round pick. They could also give him a 1st Round tender for about a million more.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
hawknation2016":zqapw5ik said:
theincrediblesok":zqapw5ik said:

Restricted Free Agent
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... ead-10429/

If they gave him a 2nd Round tender next year, Shead would get around $2.5 million, unless a team wants to give us a 2nd Round pick. They could also give him a 1st Round tender for about a million more.

I Hope they keep him long term, get it worked out JS.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
He's an intense competitor and looked like a pro bowler on Sunday. Extremely excited about our DBs with him starting.

Another great example of the UDFA success story here. Out of Portland State no less too. He had to overcome a lot to get where he is. PCJS sure have a knack for finding these hungry warriors.