Maxwell's gonna be burnt toast.......

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
It's funny seeing this guy in media talking about how he had to leave for the green! LOL, I can't help but believe Russ is going to test him early and often!!! I was never sold on Byron but was impressed with his business skills and how he scammed the Eagles out of all that cash! IMO, he did OK for us because he benefitted from the guys around him! I wouldn't be surprised if Russ shreds him and his lack of protection costs Miami the game! "Would you like burnt Max-E with your eggs?"

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I thought he did a pretty good job. I would have liked to see him stay, but not at the price he got. Can't fault a guy when the difference in income is that great between teams offers. I liked Tate as well, but there was no way we could afford to pay that much for either of them. We are serviceable opposite Sherm with Kam and Thomas, just keep Simon on the bench lol.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He's a system player who would still be playing great if he was on this Defense. I don't blame him for taking the cash, because on his own he was never going to see that much money based on his skills. Wish he was still playing opposite Sherman, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maxwell was another one of those "always is position guys that couldn't get his head turned around quick enough." The guy should have lead the league in the interceptions the last year with Seattle just based on the balls that hit him in the back alone.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Maxwell is fine. I definitely don't fault him for getting paid somewhere else and I find his honestly in addressing it with the media refreshing. That said, I expect Lockett is going to fly by him a couple times Sunday, if he doesn't flagrantly foul to stop him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I actually admire Maxwell for being honest and not insulting our intelligence with the usual free agent BS about how he always dreamed of playing for <insert new city, coach and team>.

Just say it, "I left cause Philly gave me a boatload of cash."

hawker84

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":1yys6rbz said:
Maxwell did well for us. Don't understand the hate just because he's not a Seahawks anymore.

I agree, best CB we've had opposite Sherman since Sherman's been here. He was definitely not a cover corner, but he was a playmaker, strip, tip, break up a pass every now and then. Hopefully Shead will step up his game this year because TS looks terrible and Lane is better in the nickel then outside. Not sure how much they'll test him Sunday since he knows our offense, but we'll see.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannyBKelly/status/773234094180175872[/tweet] ....... always appreciated Byron's game.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
hawker84":3stvflvq said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":3stvflvq said:
Maxwell did well for us. Don't understand the hate just because he's not a Seahawks anymore.

I agree, best CB we've had opposite Sherman since Sherman's been here. He was definitely not a cover corner, but he was a playmaker, strip, tip, break up a pass every now and then. Hopefully Shead will step up his game this year because TS looks terrible and Lane is better in the nickel then outside. Not sure how much they'll test him Sunday since he knows our offense, but we'll see.
Make him chase PRich on go routes several times in a row, and then when he's good and gassed suddenly unleash the Lockett Rocket. Byron has seen neither of those burners before.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I wish we still had him as our #2. Best CB2 in the Sherman era.

Eagles gambled, and thought he could be CB1 even with weak safeties/pass rush. He was burnt in absolutely epic fashion regularly. Probably one of the worst contracts for performance in some time. Can't doubt his reasons however, leaving for cash. He capitalized on a market in dire need of CBs. Hell, we paid Cary Williams 7m!

That said, he should be embarrassed (while laughing all the way to the bank). No one wants to be that guys that plays like hot garbage on a beast contract. He feels closer to washing out than being a baller.

Largent80

Reaction score
Maxwell benefited from being in the Hawks system and has failed since leaving. Not much else to say. He's really nothing special when he is on his own.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
This reminds me a lot of the discussion about Alex Rodriguez. Say what you will about steroids, but the guy was a five tool player on the Mariners, then he left for the Rangers because their GM believed one player was worth $252 million dollars. Then all of Mariner-dom started screaming about a lack of loyalty coming from a guy who grew up in Florida, whose actual ties to Seattle were tenuous at best. Rodriguez and Maxwell are very similar, in that, if they had turned down the money they would need to have their heads examined.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3voadssb said:
This reminds me a lot of the discussion about Alex Rodriguez. Say what you will about steroids, but the guy was a five tool player on the Mariners, then he left for the Rangers because their GM believed one player was worth $252 million dollars. Then all of Mariner-dom started screaming about a lack of loyalty coming from a guy who grew up in Florida, whose actual ties to Seattle were tenuous at best. Rodriguez and Maxwell are very similar, in that, if they had turned down the money they would need to have their heads examined.

How so? I don't see anybody criticizing him for leaving.

Largent80

Reaction score
Maxwell probably regrets leaving here. I know if I were him, I certainly would after what he has endured and knowing the Hawks could really use him right now.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Maxwell is a very solid #2 corner. I was sad when I left. Schneider really wanted him to stay. I remember reading that in some article. Hawks and Eagles were in a bidding war starting with $6 million annually. The Hawks maxed it at $8 million and then the Eagle cashed in it at $10 mill, the rest was history.

seabowl

Reaction score
The best copy and paste I have ever seen on this board was the one of Maxwell with a smile on his face while on the Hawks using Direct TV and the one with him with a bewildered look while with the Eagles subscribing to cable. It was awesome. If anyone can post that again I would appreciate it.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3778lbuj said:
It's funny seeing this guy in media talking about how he had to leave for the green! LOL, I can't help but believe Russ is going to test him early and often!!! I was never sold on Byron but was impressed with his business skills and how he scammed the Eagles out of all that cash! IMO, he did OK for us because he benefitted from the guys around him! I wouldn't be surprised if Russ shreds him and his lack of protection costs Miami the game! "Would you like burnt Max-E with your eggs?"

He scammed nobody. He was given a big contract for having a couple of good seasons in Seattle. Everyone on this board would've done the same thing.