The Elephant in the Room.....

Cyrus12

Reaction score
.....why is Tharold Simon still on this team?? How did he beat out Burley for a spot and is there anyone out there in FA that may come up on the radar. IMO he is a bigger liability than Cary Williams was and that is saying a lot. So what do the coaching staff see in him that warrants a roster spot, or is he just buddies with Sherman and company and they did not want to upset the herd?

Rule

Reaction score
Cyrus12":24kq0j4b said:
.....why is Tharold Simon still on this team?? How did he beat out Burley for a spot and is there anyone out there in FA that may come up on the radar. IMO he is a bigger liability than Cary Williams was and that is saying a lot. So what do the coaching staff see in him that warrants a roster spot, or is he just buddies with Sherman and company and they did not want to upset the herd?
If the 'buddies with Sherman' theory holds true, than theoretically Lambert would've made it via Kam. I don't think it's soley that.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Coaches and teammates were pretty high on him through camp, and he came out of the preseason uninjured. So I'm guessing those may be the answers to your question.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I am thinking more along the lines of hopeful for development of what they believe his potential to be. Hopefully, they end up being right rather than getting burned by what we the fans see as a major liability.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1ei9ifm5 said:

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, or in this case a lousy cornerback, but this move is stunning.

I would like to hear an explanation why he is still on this team (non coach speak) .

....and for the record I usually agree with most of the moves that JS/PC make, and it's hard to argue with their success rate, but no one ever bats 1000, except Father Time. Just think they struck out with this move unless they cut this guy before the season starts.

It's a lot like the Jennings/Josh whatshisface situation, where they hold onto the guy that sucks and get rid of the better of the 2 players, and the player they hold onto continues to stink it up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kobebryant":19rzj0gl said:
Coaches and teammates were pretty high on him through camp, and he came out of the preseason uninjured. So I'm guessing those may be the answers to your question.
That's great all but when do all of these great things they are talking about translate to on the field game days? ....and how much poor play is going to be enough?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Prior to his injury in 2014, wasn't Simon one of the more effective CBs in the league?
Someone posted some stats reiterating that fact in a recent thread. All I can say is, hopefully what we see is not what we get.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Maybe they just believe in Sherman, Lane and Shead so much that they don't really value CB depth as much anymore. Especially with Elliott being a capable back-up and Powell looking like Shead 2.0

If Simon is the very last CB it could mean that they keep him for upside. To be honest Simon still has more upside than any CB we let go.

TatupuIsRRRR

Reaction score
Maybe they just believe in Sherman, Lane and Shead so much that they don't really value CB depth as much anymore.

You so silly and funny, this made the pee come out. Yes Pete and John just don't care that's it you silly!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":377z133e said:
Prior to his injury in 2014, wasn't Simon one of the more effective CBs in the league?
Someone posted some stats reiterating that fact in a recent thread. All I can say is, hopefully what we see is not what we get.

He's only played 11 total games, including just 5 starts plus his disastrous super bowl. Maybe someone has some bizarre sabermetric or skewed PFF totals, but from the eye test, effective does not describe his performance to date.

Another example perhaps of the coaches seeing what they want to in a player and not the reality factor.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I'm not as down on Simon as most seem to be. His high ceiling still intrigues me.
Maybe the Hawks are holding onto him try to trade to another intrigued team? I'd prefer to see his career take off as a Seahawk. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised. Let's go, Simon! We need all your potential on full display opposite Sherman. You got this.

nash72

Reaction score
I have a feeling that he's probably a pretty good player in practice, but it hasent translated onto the field during actual games.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1w5xinpe said:
Maybe they just believe in Sherman, Lane and Shead so much that they don't really value CB depth as much anymore. Especially with Elliott being a capable back-up and Powell looking like Shead 2.0

If Simon is the very last CB it could mean that they keep him for upside. To be honest Simon still has more upside than any CB we let go.
A small statistical sample size is often misleading......

During and ever since XLIX he has been an epic failure on game days. I honestly cannot remember him making a standout good play during a game. His body of work on game days isn't the least bit impressive. If I'm an opposing coach or QB my eyes would light up and we are throwing often to whomever #27 is covering.

This isn't an indictment on Simon the person, as I'm sure he is a peach of a guy, it's just the man isn't good at playing defensive back at the the NFL level.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1vnakyog said:
I'm not as down on Simon as most seem to be. His high ceiling still intrigues me.
Maybe the Hawks are holding onto him try to trade to another intrigued team? I'd prefer to see his career take off as a Seahawk. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised. Let's go, Simon! We need all your potential on full display opposite Sherman. You got this.
Even *allas wouldn't trade for him and they may have the worst secondary the NFL.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
No matter what us 12's think, I don't see any reason to question John and Pete! The track record speaks for itself!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
At what point does "potential" become "unfounded hopes" or "incorrect projection of talent?"

Honest question, because I think we're past that point with Simon, but others don't. To me, Simon has as much potential as, for example, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, and we dumped the latter, but kept the former.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's safe to say that the dude hasn't been healthy enough to put together a season of work, and therefore is always having to come back from some sort of ailment.

I think that hasn't helped him a bit, but maybe the coaches see him work so hard on that aspect of it. The problem is that the team has a need for him to be what his potential is (or is perceived to be). The unfortunate part is that some other player is not here because of it. I'm certainly not making excuses for the guy but the coaches obviously see something we don't as fans.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is usually something people refuse to acknowledge even though everyone has to see it.

Most of us are pretty clear on the Simon concerns.

To me, the real elephant in the room is how average the defense looks, how thin the depth and how it feels like we are shifting the focus to offense as the means to win games.

Which in this decade has not often really been a pathway to successful SB victories.

It does sell tickets though.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1j4taxlp said:
Grahamhawker":1j4taxlp said:

He's only played 11 total games, including just 5 starts plus his disastrous super bowl. Maybe someone has some bizarre sabermetric or skewed PFF totals, but from the eye test, effective does not describe his performance to date.

Another example perhaps of the coaches seeing what they want to in a player and not the reality factor.

In the other thread I mentioned that in 2014 prior to his shoulder injury his stats allowed were actually better than Shermans. Now it was a small sample size, but he showed what the coaches see in that short stretch. He started 5 games and prior to the injury was allowing a sub 50% completion % and his QBR against was like 40. Once he hurt his shoulder he fell off dramatically.

Now I wouldn't have kept him on the roster personally because his availability for games has been atrocious. Basically the only season he has been available was 2014 and we are going into year 4.

Latest posts