Players we haven't re-signed or let go

dogorama

Reaction score
With Oakland coming up tonight I am reading an article on "Field Gulls" this morning where the author posed 5 Qs to Levi Damien of Silver and Black Pride. One of them concerned Bruce Irvin and it got me to thinking about players we haven't re-signed or let go. It's easy to say that it was strictly a financial decision but it has to be more than that because we are willing to spend money on core players. To tell you the truth, I haven't been really disturbed by any of them, but I am sure there are other opinions out there.

This talks about Irvin but please feel free to list your own:

"Q: Bruce Irvin. I think in Seattle we sort of had these big expectations after the draft and then those expectations changed and then it was sort of a mishmash where you never really knew what you were going to get out of Irvin despite his obvious talents. What do you expect him to do in the Raiders defensive scheme? How has he looked in training camp and preseason?

A: From the looks of it, his job will be very similar to what he did in Seattle. He will be a pass rushing outside linebacker first and foremost. So far, he has not shown a whole lot. He has been a bit of a liability against the run and hasn't really been a terror as a pass rusher either. Even with Khalil Mack consistently seeing double teams on the other side, Irvin hasn't made a lot of noise. Though he did have some good looking rushes in camp, thus far it hasn't translated to the field. We'll see if that changes come the regular season."

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/8/31/127 ... hi-osemele

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Although he certainly had some great moments as a Seahawk, Irvin was a player I always had that (brings thumb and index finger an inch apart) feeling he was "this close" from being a top tier talent at the position. He had the speed and athleticism but he's always had bouts of inconsistency where he would flat out disappear some games. He never fully realized his potential here which is a shame.

He certainly was no bust for us, but Irvin is one of those players you feel could have given you more, and more often but didn't.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Aros":5x065ddm said:
Although he certainly had some great moments as a Seahawk, Irvin was a player I always had that (brings thumb and index finger an inch apart) feeling he was "this close" from being a top tier talent at the position. He had the speed and athleticism but he's always had bouts of inconsistency where he would flat out disappear some games. He never fully realized his potential here which is a shame.

He certainly was no bust for us, but Irvin is one of those players you feel could have given you more, and more often but didn't.

Agreed. Bruce was good, but I think he could have been so much better.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":lhuke1zj said:

That sums it up really well. When he was good, he was GOOD. But those times came in spurts and you never knew when he was going to disappear.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing how things work out for Russell Okung over in Denver. When he was here he often showed flashes of being a very good, even pro bowl level LT when he could stay healthy. However his last season I felt like even when playing healthy he took a step back and never flashed the potential he had before. Was that because he was actually playing hurt? Was it because of the poor LG play from Britt right next to him? Or will he just be one of those guys that never realizes his full potential?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkFan72":2t7ywe7f said:
That sums it up really well. When he was good, he was GOOD. But those times came in spurts and you never knew when he was going to disappear.

Maybe he's saving his best stuff for Atlanta some day. :stirthepot:

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
DJrmb":3nxyph7y said:
I'm interested in seeing how things work out for Russell Okung over in Denver. When he was here he often showed flashes of being a very good, even pro bowl level LT when he could stay healthy. However his last season I felt like even when playing healthy he took a step back and never flashed the potential he had before. Was that because he was actually playing hurt? Was it because of the poor LG play from Britt right next to him? Or will he just be one of those guys that never realizes his full potential?

He better play his butt off this year because he has zero guaranteed money in his contract. Dumb.

http://deadspin.com/russell-okungs-self ... 1765937936

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":y1r3iflo said:

I'll echo Greg and 72, really spot on post Aros.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I've always thought Mebane was one of the most underrated Seahawks ever. Yes, ever.
With all the hype of the LOB, he was the anchor of a pretty amazing run stopping defense for a time. I think we will miss him more than anyone.