Top rated preseason rookies per PFF

SirTed

Reaction score
What kind of effect does this rating (assuming a true reflection of Hunt's play) have on our roster cuts?

A lot, if not all of the roster projections that I have seen have Hunt slipping to the practice squad, but if he continues to play well, I don't think the Hawks can afford to try to stash him, because he'll get snatched.

So, then that means that there has to be another perhaps costly cut somewhere. Obviously, this is a good problem, but if Hunt isn't ready to be the starter, but is a top performing rookie, there will be ripples. Thoughts?

McGruff

Reaction score
SirTed":3c546tpe said:
What kind of effect does this rating (assuming a true reflection of Hunt's play) have on our roster cuts?

A lot, if not all of the roster projections that I have seen have Hunt slipping to the practice squad, but if he continues to play well, I don't think the Hawks can afford to try to stash him, because he'll get snatched.

So, then that means that there has to be another perhaps costly cut somewhere. Obviously, this is a good problem, but if Hunt isn't ready to be the starter, but is a top performing rookie, there will be ripples. Thoughts?

I think any team that honestly considers PFF is stupid.

But even if they do, do do it in a vacuum is highly stupid. Gargantuanly Stupid. Hunt dominated low level competition. So what? Any team that tries to grab him will have to do so at the expense of their own regular roster, for a guy who has played 3rd and 4th string reps?

Now, I'd love to see Hunt get some reps against quality competition, but I think that will come next year. he's got to grow and little and get stronger in order to challenge.

SirTed

Reaction score
McGruff":1twe7uda said:
SirTed":1twe7uda said:

I think any team that honestly considers PFF is stupid.

But even if they do, do do it in a vacuum is highly stupid. Gargantuanly Stupid. Hunt dominated low level competition. So what? Any team that tries to grab him will have to do so at the expense of their own regular roster, for a guy who has played 3rd and 4th string reps?

Now, I'd love to see Hunt get some reps against quality competition, but I think that will come next year. he's got to grow and little and get stronger in order to challenge.

Oh, I don't necessarily suggest that a team would or wouldn't consider PFF grades. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but at the very least, a solid PFF grade suggests good play, granted against some scrubs, maybe. To me, it's not too hard to imagine a bottom dwelling team without a lot of depth taking a guy that played well in the preseason, and was a guy that Pete and John "had to have" (not a word for word quote, but I remember being struck by the fact that they singled him out after the draft as a must get player). JS goes over every preseason cut with a fine toothed comb, I'd imagine some other GM's are chomping at the bit to do the same to us.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Well, it's all about the competition of players at the position. There may not be any other rookie centers to speak of but there might be some good rookie DTs. And since they only list one DT . . . .

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":rqkczbpi said:
Hunt dominated low level competition. So what? Any team that tries to grab him will have to do so at the expense of their own regular roster, for a guy who has played 3rd and 4th string reps?

I think PFF is a bit like Rotten Tomatoes. An average movie can hit 95% if it does very little to offend. Doesn't make it a great movie.

That's essentially been my observation of Hunt. He's been mistake free, but never really blows you away either, and he's facing guys that an average NFL starter would be destroying.

He's doing fine so far but if I was PFF I'd be a little embarrassed having an undersized 3rd string center on a list like this.

As far as the other names, I'm honestly surprised by some of them. Derrick Henry can run through a huge hole with the best of them, but he looks like the easiest leg-tackle in the NFL. Prescott has been good no doubt, but isn't oozing athletic upside nearly as much as I would have thought and has benefited from having WIDE OPEN receivers on most of his completions (that said, his accuracy on the deep ball has been awesome.)

Tajae Sharp is the best name on the list IMO. He always makes sure he comes down with the football and has some toughness to him. Seems natural with his routes. He's a little different physically, but his preseason so far reminds me of a young Doug Baldwin.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What a load of total pointless nonsense.

Paralysis by over-analysis.

This means absolutely nothing. For starters, how many rookie centers have featured in two pre-season games? How many faced third stringers? What are they being judged on considering most teams aren't really game planning?

The NFL is drowning in analytics, opinion and never ending fantasy football takes. I love a bit of Football Outsiders and there are some excellent columnists and writers out there. But they are fading into the background vs the endless stream of bollocks presented to us like this.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2y6iqf30 said:

This means absolutely nothing. For starters, how many rookie centers have featured in two pre-season games? How many faced third stringers? What are they being judged on considering most teams aren't really game planning?

The NFL is drowning in analytics, opinion and never ending fantasy football takes. I love a bit of Football Outsiders and there are some excellent columnists and writers out there. But they are fading into the background vs the endless stream of bollocks presented to us like this.

This was my first question as well. Exactly how many rookie Centers are out there playing in preseason and playing against starters ?

You can light the world on fire in the 4th quarter of preseason games, but it's not against NFL quality opponents.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":20dclbud said:

Excellent take sir. :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ofe17fo said:

I see it as in the same vein as mock drafts a year in advance. Not enough information to really provide anything substantial, but that won't stop someone from trying to get clicks.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29e2yspz said:
theENGLISHseahawk":29e2yspz said:

I see it as in the same vein as mock drafts a year in advance. Not enough information to really provide anything substantial, but that won't stop someone from trying to get clicks.

Not remotely similar IMO.

A person who does a mock draft a year in advance usually openly admits there's nothing to be extracted from it in terms of accuracy. Rather, it's a nice way to highlight some of the names to look out for during the college football season. For some fans (if you follow the Browns) this is often the highlight of your summer. 'Who do I need to watch that we might draft in the top five?'

What's more, it's perfectly plausible to judge Leonard Fournette or DeShaun Watson as potential top-10 picks (to name just two players). They have two years of excellent production and numerous games to analyse. The 'most impressive rookies so far' list is based on two pre-season games, without any disclaimer as to who they actually competed with for the honour of being included, the level of competition they faced or any other factor. Fournette and Watson have competed on the biggest stage in college football. Joey Hunt has faced Minnesota and Kansas City's third stringers for a few snaps.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Outside of one low snap in the first game, Hunt has played well. PFF is just another opinion providing further confirmation of what we have seen from him on the field with our own eyes. He has looked really sound in pass protection and looks like an underrated run blocker, who has opened up some big holes for Troymaine Pope. He's outplayed Lewis in these first two games against pretty similar competition.

Of course, one of PFF's many blindspots is the fact that they fail to account for level of competition in any meaningful way, which becomes a glaring problem for them in the preseason. It's just another opinion that should be taken with a grain a salt -- like all opinions.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What galactic stupidity emanates from PFF?

This list is continuing example of the nonsense they spew out.

Several of these 'top rated' players may find themselves out of work when the cuts to53 happen.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1l8rxlbx said:
Does anyone really think that Pete and John pay any attention....give any credibility to PPF? :roll:

No . . . LOL. Carroll's methods of evaluation are far superior.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Keep in mind these players are all 2nd or 3rd stringers who have been playing against comparable competition or worse. This is handy to know that Hunt will be able to hold his own against back-up DTs but it's no indicator whatsoever how he'll do against starters. Meanwhile Britt has been actually doing well against established competition and we already know Lewis performs at an adequate level against top level competition as well.

In short, this changes nothing.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
If Britt had not had this revelatory preseason, a lot of posters on this board would be calling for Hunt to start.

Britt just set the bar way too high, which is awesome.