Russell Q?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One of the things I've been wondering about over the past few days is why did Russell play the entire half of the game? They didn't even bother playing Bridgewater at all, and a quick glance around the league seems to suggest most starting QBs only play a series or two in the second preseason game.

Now sure, some of you will say "Well by the looks of it, he needs the half" but that's not what I think. At all. We ALL know what we have in Russell Wilson. Why subject him to the potential for injury in a truly meaningless practice game, especially when it's clear from the onset that the Vikings game plan was to go after him?

Is it because Pete wants to see Russell out there with the new OL as much as possible to get that all-important gelling down? Perhaps the attacking, blitzing game plan by one of the toughest fronts we will see all year was precisely what they needed? Just thinking out loud I guess.

I can understand it the more I think about it but I just wonder why Russell - one of the top QBs in the NFL - was out there in such a non-preseason atmosphere for an entire half (when we clearly had no game plan to counter the aggressive defense) when some of the other top and 2nd tier QBs around the league barely sniffed the 2nd quarter?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet Russ had a lot to do with that.

I'm also down with your theory of him needing continuity and reps with our OL, specifically Britt who hasn't played Center before this year.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Aros":1t70q1vj said:
One of the things I've been wondering about over the past few days is why did Russell play the entire half of the game? They didn't even bother playing Bridgewater at all, and a quick glance around the league seems to suggest most starting QBs only play a series or two in the second preseason game.

Now sure, some of you will say "Well by the looks of it, he needs the half" but that's not what I think. At all. We ALL know what we have in Russell Wilson. Why subject him to the potential for injury in a truly meaningless practice game, especially when it's clear from the onset that the Vikings game plan was to go after him?

Is it because Pete wants to see Russell out there with the new OL as much as possible to get that all-important gelling down? Perhaps the attacking, blitzing game plan by one of the toughest fronts we will see all year was precisely what they needed? Just thinking out loud I guess.

I can understand it the more I think about it but I just wonder why Russell - one of the top QBs in the NFL - was out there in such a non-preseason atmosphere for an entire half (when we clearly had no game plan to counter the aggressive defense) when some of the other top and 2nd tier QBs around the league barely sniffed the 2nd quarter?

I kind of wondered the same thing. I kept thinking, ok this is the last series. Ok this must be the last series. Is this finally the last series?

I don't know. Maybe at the request of RW himself? We all know what kind of a competitor he is and how he's always trying to improve. Maybe he either A) asked to play the entire half before the game started or B) asked to continue playing when he wasn't playing as well as he'd hoped.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when it was announce that Bridgewater wasn't playing and thinking our D was hurting their backup QBs. I think Wilson wanted to see how the new O-line would react to a good defensive front. The good news is that he wasn't hurt and now knows some of the things he can use as learning points, it's all on tape and we know he loves watching it.

kearly

Reaction score
The 2nd preseason game tends be the second longest outing for starting QBs. Had things gone very well Russell might have left by the early 2nd quarter, but they didn't so he stayed in til halftime.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Quite a few quarterbacks played 1/2 their games, usually younger QBs which Russell sort of is still, but mainly it was teams that have had offensive struggles.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kearly":12phzwy2 said:
The 2nd preseason game tends be the second longest outing for starting QBs. Had things gone very well Russell might have left by the early 2nd quarter, but they didn't so he stayed in til halftime.

Yeah that makes sense. I just about had a real fine fit when I saw his leg collapse awkwardly on that one sack in the second quarter. If he would have broken his leg the entire 12 universe would have imploded and asked WHY have him out there against an unusually aggressive defense (for preseason) for 30 minutes?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The other question is why did they not have Bridgewater play AT ALL?

Scared of the LOB? :p

On all seriousness it does seem to me like this was a psychological game for the Vikings.

LolaRox

Reaction score
It was reported, after the game, that Teddy has a sore shoulder and that's why he didn't play.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So the Germans would lead us to believe... :327321_Spy_23.22:

nategreat

Reaction score
Pete tends to do things a little unconventionally, and playing his starters more than other teams do in the preseason is just another one of those things. I'd be interested to see how much our starters play in the preseason compared to other teams. Seems like it's a lot more, and the quarterback position seems to be no exception.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That would be a fascinating stat actually. I wonder if in fact he does play his starters longer than the NFL mean for preseason.

chris98251

Reaction score
nategreat":5zhhy8en said:
Pete tends to do things a little unconventionally, and playing his starters more than other teams do in the preseason is just another one of those things. I'd be interested to see how much our starters play in the preseason compared to other teams. Seems like it's a lot more, and the quarterback position seems to be no exception.

Well this team experiments a whole lot with players playing in different spots as well, so maintaining a continuity to evaluate things may also add to that.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Russell is all about practicing and as we know preparation is his mantra. It wouldn't be surprising if Russell asked for as much time as possible and they gave him the half. Live fire without an actual game impact is such a great learning opportunity and Russell will want all of it.

And he's gonna feel he can avoid any injury, regardless of the potential.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
First team offense hasn't scored a TD yet. They shall keep working on it. Too many 3 and out? Hasn't sustained drives ... These are worrisome signs. QB and OL and WRs should work on this, every minute they get. CM has been our main bright spot on offense so far.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":2tbftmvo said:
Yup, I fail to see the mystery here.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Not only is this normal for game two, but might I add that the more snaps Russell gets with his new OL, in actual games, the better chance they have to get on the same page by the time the season stats.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk