Teaching the Rooks The Most Important Lessons

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The NFL only requires teams to hold the three-day Rookie Transition Program. The Seahawks, led by vice president of player engagement Maurice “Mo” Kelly, begin educating their rookies from the moment they join the team on subjects like money management, social responsibility and the potential pitfalls of life in the NFL. So for the Seahawks, the program helps reinforce what was already being taught.

“They can never hear it enough,” Kelly said. “We’ve talked to them on finances. I don’t know how many meetings we’ve had so far, but guess what? They’re still going to make mistakes. They’re still young men, they’re still growing up. Just imagine if you were 21 years old with a lot of money in your pocket. … They’re young individuals, they’re going to make mistakes and we have to be here to help them when they make mistakes.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/144408/se ... e-history/

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Aros":2snwf97z said:
The NFL only requires teams to hold the three-day Rookie Transition Program. The Seahawks, led by vice president of player engagement Maurice “Mo” Kelly, begin educating their rookies from the moment they join the team on subjects like money management, social responsibility and the potential pitfalls of life in the NFL. So for the Seahawks, the program helps reinforce what was already being taught.

“They can never hear it enough,” Kelly said. “We’ve talked to them on finances. I don’t know how many meetings we’ve had so far, but guess what? They’re still going to make mistakes. They’re still young men, they’re still growing up. Just imagine if you were 21 years old with a lot of money in your pocket. … They’re young individuals, they’re going to make mistakes and we have to be here to help them when they make mistakes.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/144408/se ... e-history/

This is what all teams should do.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I really like this....Being given a heads up by players who have actually lived through it.
Money aside, they learn to concentrate on upping their game, and that it's a never ending competition.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Really it's not unlike many jobs in that there are stages of learning. The rooks and other youngins have to be able to pick up enough to even stick on the team. At some point there can even be enough confidence in what you're doing to contribute. Then there's knowing your role fluently and after that...you start understanding your colleagues roles and even strengths and weaknesses. At some point you get to a veteran status where you understand both or all sides of it and who's trying to accomplish what and how.

This is just football. It's a job. A much more fun, if you take out the physical beating, and also just happens to be in an extremely lucrative market, but still just a job none the less.

That said, I think we have all levels of that right now and enough talent saturation throughout that this could be a special year. I couldn't say that teaching the rooks is the most important part. I think our 2013/14 season was very much the same way. Lots of talent and good distribution of veterans, up and comers, and youngins. One left without the other just doesn't seem to work most of the time. And I say that knowing how young of a team that 2013/14 team was. We lost some really good veterans after that season and, even though we couldn't do much about it financially given the long term plan, those losses seemed to have mattered. Well, that and the limitation of 53 and inevitable injury plagued seasons and all that too....

Not that we shouldn't have won 2 strait, mind you...