2 TE Sets

delagator7

Reaction score
Would it make sense to have a majority of our formations to come from 2TE sets?

1. We can take advantage of either Luke Willson or Jummy Graham as our reliable "big" receiver, the other as a blocker on run and pass plays. 2 shifty receivers like Baldwin and Lockette running routes and stretching the field.

penihawk

Reaction score
I think you will see much more 12 personnel this year especially if or when Graham gets healthy. I would love to see a blocking TE with pass catching skills added to our roster to make it harder on defenses to match personnel groups. Nick Vannett and Beau Sandland are two guys I really like in the middle rounds.

xgeoff

Reaction score
penihawk":2pi7gesx said:
I think you will see much more 12 personnel this year especially if or when Graham gets healthy. I would love to see a blocking TE with pass catching skills added to our roster to make it harder on defenses to match personnel groups. Nick Vannett and Beau Sandland are two guys I really like in the middle rounds.

Definitely high on Vannett

AgentDib

Reaction score
Hard to speculate given Jimmy's injury. If he is healthy then 12 personnel is a pretty good look with Graham, Kearse, and Baldwin as receivers and a blocking TE (Coffman?) to help the O-Line.

In reality, though, I think 11 personnel will be our most effective package. There are reasons to be optimistic about both Richardson and Lockett, and this looks like a year where we may pass to open up the run a little more. Getting the ball out quickly compensates for pass protection struggles as much as an extra blocker does. More so against our divisional opponents probably.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
AgentDib":1fczzspd said:
Hard to speculate given Jimmy's injury. If he is healthy then 12 personnel is a pretty good look with Graham, Kearse, and Baldwin as receivers and a blocking TE (Coffman?) to help the O-Line.

In reality, though, I think 11 personnel will be our most effective package. There are reasons to be optimistic about both Richardson and Lockett, and this looks like a year where we may pass to open up the run a little more. Getting the ball out quickly compensates for pass protection struggles as much as an extra blocker does. More so against our divisional opponents probably.

I don't think it'd be Coffman. The reason he can't stick is because of his subpar blocking. Maybe Cottom is a decent blocker?

Laloosh

Reaction score
We had some success getting rhe ball to Luke when he and Jimmy were both on the field. Though we struggled more in two TE and heavy formations. Lot of sacks.

I think we'd see plenty of it if we had a blocking TE.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1j0vam7b said:
AgentDib":1j0vam7b said:

I don't think it'd be Coffman. The reason he can't stick is because of his subpar blocking. Maybe Cottom is a decent blocker?

Not that I'm an expert on Coffman, but I thought I read somewhere that he has sub par hands but his blocking was ok.

His blocking looked fine in our uniform, and he hadn't had much time with Cable at that point. I'd love to see us draft a well rounded TE, but I'm also intrigued to what Coffman can bring to the table if he can improve.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hopefully Luke Willson see's the writing on the wall. Jimmy is signed for the long haul and his best chance to be effective and on the field is to become an outstanding blocker.

But imagine if he did? The threat he would possess as a premium blocker that has his speed and can catch the ball while opponents try and focus on Jimmy is scary.

Cottom has the potential to become an H-back which would be very helpful and dangerous in it's own right but if Luke understands his position on this team right now his best bet is to be working as hard as possible to keep Cottom on the bench.