Identity of tendered offers coming in for Seahawks

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/706172131558621184[/tweet]

Seattle Times write up >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-seahawks-give-tenders-to-several-free-agents-including-patrick-lewis-deshawn-shead/[/urltargetblank]

PS edit .... I'm curious about OL Alvin Bailey. I know they really like his football IQ and mental flexibility. But, I also know they have been frustrated by his physical conditioning at the start of training camps. There is also that in season consistency criticism. Last year, Bailey expressed frustration with the organization when he tweeted .... "there are 31 other places I would rather be". So do they tender or not?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cooper Helfet? What a waste of money. There are better options in the draft than him.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":3dx9q7jj said:
So Michael was an RFA after all.

For me, Michael is another curiosity. Do they tender him? And if so, at what number?

McGruff

Reaction score
Jville":1tivdmkt said:
kearly":1tivdmkt said:

For me, Michael is another curiosity. Do they tender him? And if so, at what number?

Easy. Offer him a tender for original round.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
kearly":1jl5ik90 said:

I do believe any UDFA becomes a RFA after their 3rd year along with any 3rd year players cut from their rookie contracts, i.e. Michael.

drdiags

Reaction score
According to the article, the Seahawks have until Wednesday to tender an offer to their RFA/ERFAs and lists Bailey as one of those players. Maybe they tender him as well?

Teams have until Wednesday to make tender offers to their restricted and ERFA players.

A few other interesting restricted free agents for Seattle are RB Christine Michael, OL Alvin Bailey and FB Derrick Coleman.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ndgelqh said:
Cooper Helfet? What a waste of money. There are better options in the draft than him.

I suppose it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Helfet has earned the trust of coaching staff and quarterback. He runs reliable routes. He offers versatility including significant special teams snaps. His continuity dates back to 2012. $600K is a solid number for an experienced #3 tight end and special teams veteran. Besides, this year challenges are no different different than last year. He still has to win a job on the 2016 team.

I also like the tender number on Deshawn Shead. He is needed for continuity and depth on both the defense and special teams.

IMO ...... Too much print is overdone on stars and "potential stars". The important contributions of a competent supporting roster is overlooked, understated and under appreciated. Fortunately, these tender revelations reinforce Pete and Johns' competence in building a roster for 2016.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Helfet's tender is a non-issue; it's exactly the same amount as the minimum salary for a player with two seasons of experience. That isn't news it's just the Hawks keeping him on the 90 man roster for now.

The Lewis tender is a big deal. I wasn't sure if he was still in their plans but at $1.7 million it suddenly looks very likely that he'll be our week 1 starting center. Lewis looks like Plan A at this point and a Mack/Kelly/Martin would still be considered but only as targets of opportunity rather than key acquisitions.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
AgentDib":3nt7la5f said:
Helfet's tender is a non-issue; it's exactly the same amount as the minimum salary for a player with two seasons of experience. That isn't news it's just the Hawks keeping him on the 90 man roster for now.

The Lewis tender is a big deal. I wasn't sure if he was still in their plans but at $1.67 million it suddenly looks very likely that he'll be on our opening day roster.

Lewis was another one I was uncertain about ..... as to what the offer number would be. If and when Lewis signs his tender, the Seahawks will have 4 competing centers signed for 2016.

original poster

Reaction score
I'd be over the moon with picking up Shead for $760k.

He's fundamental for us IMO. I rewatched the Steelers game today and he made some serious plays that game. Rawls performance made me smile as well!

Fade

Reaction score
AgentDib":6541jrlq said:
The Lewis tender is a big deal. I wasn't sure if he was still in their plans but at $1.7 million it suddenly looks very likely that he'll be our week 1 starting center. Lewis looks like Plan A at this point and a Mack/Kelly/Martin would still be considered but only as targets of opportunity rather than key acquisitions.
Not necessarily.

First of all the tender isn't guaranteed until week 1. The Seahawks can cut him at any time from now, through the pre-season and he gets $0.

2nd the tender can be negotiated down like Mike Morgan a couple years ago. I think it was 2014 he was tendered at $2M. Then after the 4th pre-season game the hawks negotiated him down to around $1M.

Patrick Lewis is insurance at this point. Yes right now if the Hawks do nothing at Center he will be the starter @ $1.7M, but that will be only if Seattle's off-season plans go horribly wrong.

I would also add if Lewis was a big deal they would of 2nd round tendered him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, Lewis basically got the least amount they could give him and still keep him Around.

In a similar situation with Kearse they gave him the second highest tender.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Fade":2j8a40js said:
I think the tender is the interesting part not Lewis himself, who I wasn't really expecting to see on our 90 man roster at all. He only won the job back due to Nowak's "slow learning curve" and it's clear that they preferred Nowak's athleticism, height and arm length.

What does Lewis give us as emergency insurance that equivalently priced and equally limited FA's such as Wendell, Ramirez, and Sendlein do not? If plan A was to bring in Mack then depth would be better filled by projects with more upside. To me this move indicates that Lewis is a strong possibility in their eyes for our week 1 starting center.

Seafan

Reaction score
AgentDib":26lkevm0 said:
Fade":26lkevm0 said:
I think the tender is the interesting part not Lewis himself, who I wasn't really expecting to see on our 90 man roster at all. He only won the job back due to Nowak's "slow learning curve" and it's clear that they preferred Nowak's athleticism, height and arm length.

What does Lewis give us as emergency insurance that equivalently priced and equally limited FA's such as Wendell, Ramirez, and Sendlein do not? If plan A was to bring in Mack then depth would be better filled by projects with more upside. To me this move indicates that Lewis is a strong possibility in their eyes for our week 1 starting center.

I expect that upgrading the center position was one of the Hawk's top off season priorities. How that happens is anyone's guess. I would think that if they believe Lewis is the long term answer at center they would want to lock him up for more than one year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
AgentDib":cftrmo5e said:
Fade":cftrmo5e said:

Makes me wish Sokoli was further along in his training. Aaron Donald's gonna beat Lewis like a drum again...not to mention the LG position is still far from filled.

Fade

Reaction score
AgentDib":1frwoypm said:
To me this move indicates that Lewis is a strong possibility in their eyes for our week 1 starting center.
If another team offers Lewis a contract, and Seattle doesn't match it, the Hawks get 0 compensation. If he were plan A to be the starting Center this season they would of 2nd round tendered him, as to not risk losing him.

Seattle was willing to low tender him to save money, and risk losing him because he is a plan B, or C.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So who would pay Lewis more than $1.7 mil/ yr.?

Bailey maybe, Shead probably, but Lewis?

I suspect Michael won't be offered a RFA deal, but will be offered a contract, and Bailey may want to move on as he seem perpetually in Cable's doghouse. The team may be negotiating with his agent now.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting as a few of the team's familiar faces may see changes. I wonder about Ryan, Kearse, Irvin, Rubin, Mebane, Sweezy, and Okung

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":34y5ncsc said:
AgentDib":34y5ncsc said:
Fade":34y5ncsc said:

Makes me wish Sokoli was further along in his training. Aaron Donald's gonna beat Lewis like a drum again...not to mention the LG position is still far from filled.

Aaron Donald beats most guys like a drum...it's getting beat by guys like William Hayes that is concerning.