So, if Lynch is not on reserve/retire list by Wed.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ired-list/

Above article states the Seahawks will take a 11.5M cap hit if Lynch is not officially on the reserve/retired list by Wednesday. They speculate that he might prefer to be released, so that the team no longer has rights to him after he retires.

All my appreciation for his contributions aside, I always felt he's been an ass to team's front office. We have one of the better organizations in the league, but it seems he treats them with the same regard as he does the mediots. Why is it always this long-drawn-out, kiss-my-azz drama with him? What's worse, he's got to realize that the end result of him limiting the team's flexibility to make moves ultimately affects his teammates.

sutz

Reaction score
There's about 6 million reasons why they shouldn't release him. Treating guys nice is one thing, but bending over for them has to stop somewhere.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Maybe they should request a return of the 5 myn dlr bonus afterall, if that is all the consideration he can give the club.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'll worry about this when something actually happens.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It only really matters if the Seahawks truly run out of cap room and need the extra $6.5M. It won't be a crisis next week.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I am not sure how this article can be true. Lynch's 2016 portion of the contract does not become fully guaranteed after next week. He has $5 million of signing bonus remaining - $2.5 million for 2016, and $2.5 million for 2017 - which is the amount the Seahawks could seek to have returned, or it becomes the cap hit. His 2016 base salary of $6.5 million is not guaranteed - so the Seahawks could cut him any time between now and June 1st and receive $6.5 million in extra cap space. If cut after June 1st, I believe that the Seahawks can elect to have the $5 million dead money spread over the next two seasons...but not certain about that part. The only way his entire salary would be guaranteed would be if some sort of mystery clause existed to move the base into a guarantee

Either way, the Seahawks have moved on. If Lynch changes his mind, I am 100% certain the Seahawks will cut him. They may cut him anyway to make certain that both parties are able to put this behind them.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":369th0kp said:
I am not sure how this article can be true. Lynch's 2016 portion of the contract does not become fully guaranteed after next week. He has $5 million of signing bonus remaining - $2.5 million for 2016, and $2.5 million for 2017 - which is the amount the Seahawks could seek to have returned, or it becomes the cap hit. His 2016 base salary of $6.5 million is not guaranteed - so the Seahawks could cut him any time between now and June 1st and receive $6.5 million in extra cap space. If cut after June 1st, I believe that the Seahawks can elect to have the $5 million dead money spread over the next two seasons...but not certain about that part. The only way his entire salary would be guaranteed would be if some sort of mystery clause existed to move the base into a guarantee

Either way, the Seahawks have moved on. If Lynch changes his mind, I am 100% certain the Seahawks will cut him. They may cut him anyway to make certain that both parties are able to put this behind them.
The problem with designating him a June 1st cut is the club can't spend his $6.5M 2016 cap savings until June 1st.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ not a real issue you just convert some players $8milliin salary to a signing bonus over 4 years and take $2million now and defer $6 million to the future. Offsets the delay related to Lynch's contract

peppersjap

Reaction score
He is just holding out so he will be cut which is a good move for him. They will release him before the deadline. He just wants to keep his options open which is a good business decision for him. The man is pretty intelligent. I don't think there is anyway he plays for us again and am happy to move on although I will miss him. Hopefully Rawls comes back strong because he was the best RB on the team last year with the current offensive line.

Jville

Reaction score
If he holds out from retiring and gets his release, any question about previously paid monies evaporates. He also becomes free to sign with Oakland for a hometown farewell encore. Such speculation could very well trigger a media circus. Not that the Raiders have gone wanting for media theater.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If he holds out, perhaps the team should let him know they want his $5 mill sb back.

This is BS.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2yn0fm67 said:
If he holds out, perhaps the team should let him know they want his $5 mill sb back.

This is BS.
This ^, Too much Drama....I can't believe that there are people around here that are on board with this jerking shit around.
Man up Marshawn.

drdiags

Reaction score
Guess we will find out Wednesday, but who is to say Lynch has changed his mind about filing for retirement? He could be going the route of Brett Favre but I am skeptical.

I will fire up the pitchfork come the deadline, until then why get mad about speculation? Asking him to man up and that he is trying to screw the team, I guess being bold allows one to take a stand before the facts are known. Just makes it hard to un-ring a bell if you fly off the handle and this becomes a non-issue. We have to talk about something but unless his agent or Lynch makes a statement before Wednesday's deadline I am going to with-hold judgement.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ I concur.

We really need to get better at enjoying off season intrigue. After all, why should Peyton Manning and Bronco Fans corner the market!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At almost every level, the team has consistently done what is best for the team.

This has meant cutting people that had earlier restructured their contracts to help the team. Given that is how a smart front office needs to work, but loyalty isn't really something a player expects from any good FO. They do what is best for the team and what is the best decision for the future.

Given that, I am not sure why people would be upset that players would do the same thing. Marshawn has to do what is best for himself. I think he has earned that right anyway, considering that the one year we did not run everything through Marshawn is the one year we almost missed the playoffs completely.

He carried this team to multiple SBs, so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
LOL you got to enjoy a Super Bowl championship because of this guy. And there's a very high likelihood that you won't again for a long time to come. Like the previous poster said, as soon as a healthy Marshawn wasn't in the picture, the team barely made the playoffs.

Stop being ungrateful. It's not even your money.

Latest posts