GIF Breakdown: Short vs Britt

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Funny how for 3 years in a row our biggest weakness in dominate DT's getting to Wilson and disrupting our run game.

I think this is the year we finally get a DT in the 1st.

We passed of Fletcher Cox, we didn't trade up for Aaron Donald, and we didn't get Kwame Short. All three were players this forum were pretty high on. I think there were a few others but I'm tired of watching other teams with dominate interiors get to Russ and us not be able to get pressure up the middle to pocket QB's consistently.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Wenhawk":ib9gb25r said:
Funny how for 3 years in a row our biggest weakness in dominate DT's getting to Wilson and disrupting our run game.

I think this is the year we finally get a DT in the 1st.

We passed of Fletcher Cox, we didn't trade up for Aaron Donald, and we didn't get Kwame Short. All three were players this forum were pretty high on. I think there were a few others but I'm tired of watching other teams with dominate interiors get to Russ and us not be able to get pressure up the middle to pocket QB's consistently.

Cox is the only legit complaint there. We would have had to trade multiple 1st rd picks to convicne Stl to move back 18 spots. The year Short was drafted we didn't have a 1st. I do hope we grab a disruptive DT but its not as simple as you make it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
2.2 seconds before the franchise QB takes a hit. It's been three seasons now. I get that this thread is about our D failing to get this type of pressure on opposing QBs but come on! fix our offensive line! Make this priority #1! We could have brought in Mike Oher instead of the Panthers.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
austinslater25":1ukba7i2 said:
http://nflbreakdowns.com/kawann-short-panthers-seahawks-divisional-2015/

Reddit shared this and I thought it was interesting. Cliff notes version is Britt got destroyed over and over. He's not starting next year.

Man, that first clip is so amazingly bad. Britt has always been on my radar as being awful but that is just some Looney Toons stuff. He looks drunk.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
They have to go another direction. Really hope they attack the interior of the line this off season.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Britt is mind blowingly bad. Another wasted high pick on a Tom Cable handpicked garbage OL player. Why does he still have this job?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kawaan short was easily one of my favorite DL of that draft. He didn't test overly well in any one thing at the combine or his pro day. Fairly average really. When you turned on his college tape, however; you see that his pad level is always, always perfect and his hand usage is as good as it gets. Right off the bat you could tell that he was a player you wouldn't even have to coach very much. He just gets it without even having to try.

That said, Britt didn't make much improvement at LG. I thought that would help him because his kick drop is more natural on the left side of the line, but it appears that he just isn't that sharp on his feet. He's got all the physical ability you need for the position, but mentally he's always a step too slow. That renders his future very questionable. I just don't know that you look at a tape against Short to establish a baseline....Short might have been the most consistent DT in the league this year.

McGruff

Reaction score
FormerEvil":2y7w6z35 said:
austinslater25":2y7w6z35 said:

Reddit shared this and I thought it was interesting. Cliff notes version is Britt got destroyed over and over. He's not starting next year.

Man, that first clip is so amazingly bad. Britt has always been on my radar as being awful but that is just some Looney Toons stuff. He looks drunk.

The first clip was Okung getting beat. Or maybe Bailey. Either way it was the LT. Another one was Lewis getting beat.

At the end of the day, as bad as it was, we're talking about an All Pro DT and elite interior pass rusher.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
McGruff":1dptiv2a said:
FormerEvil":1dptiv2a said:
austinslater25":1dptiv2a said:

The first clip was Okung getting beat. Or maybe Bailey. Either way it was the LT. Another one was Lewis getting beat.

At the end of the day, as bad as it was, we're talking about an All Pro DT and elite interior pass rusher.

No, it's Britt. Go back and watch it again. The "clip", meaning "video". Okung gets beat but Britt literally blocks no one and runs a loop out wide like he was expecting a bootleg or something. It comically bad and he looks like someone that's incapable of remembering his assignments or the plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
This interior o-line is just so below NFL competent level, especially Britt. I just drool at the thought of Russ working behind a real line like Newton does.

Well, Pete has said it will be addressed. It's past time Pete. You've got a franchise QB which is hard to find. Freaking protect him!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3fxffz9r said:
Britt is mind blowingly bad. Another wasted high pick on a Tom Cable handpicked garbage OL player. Why does he still have this job?
Don't call him garbage. People get mad when u use that word.

Replace "garbage" with "trash" . It's nicer.

Rob12

Reaction score
That was so painful to watch.

Britt is depth and nothing more from here on out. When his rookie contract runs out, help him pack up his locker and get him out of town.

Davidess

Reaction score
They need to draft an Oline and sign a vet.

Britt could be the new Swing tackle/6th lineman that Bailey has been. give him some time to develop as a backup, hes still young.

ctrcat

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1sfowd4o said:
Kawaan short was easily one of my favorite DL of that draft. He didn't test overly well in any one thing at the combine or his pro day. Fairly average really. When you turned on his college tape, however; you see that his pad level is always, always perfect and his hand usage is as good as it gets. Right off the bat you could tell that he was a player you wouldn't even have to coach very much. He just gets it without even having to try.

That said, Britt didn't make much improvement at LG. I thought that would help him because his kick drop is more natural on the left side of the line, but it appears that he just isn't that sharp on his feet. He's got all the physical ability you need for the position, but mentally he's always a step too slow. That renders his future very questionable. I just don't know that you look at a tape against Short to establish a baseline....Short might have been the most consistent DT in the league this year.

Good post. Dave Gettleman puts far less stock in the combine than most if not all. He even thought about taking Short over Star at 14 overall but knew Star would go to New Orleans at 15 and certainly not last until the 2nd.

Short, Turner, Norwell, et al were right in front of everyone's faces for the taking-similar to the Hawks stellar 2010-2012 drafts. Even Michael Oher was considered a joke to be a good LT, but all were nabbed on value deals, sacrificing very little money or assets. Gettleman's player evaluations must be lauded.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Short is a top 5, maybe top 3 DT in the league this year. He had 11 sacks in the regular season, and 10 of them weren't on Britt.

Watching those gifs, yup Britt looks pretty bad against him, but it goes deeper than that. Lewis is there to help in the interior. The problem is, on the 2nd play (1st gif), Lewis helps over to Sweezy because Lotuleilei gets by Sweezy every bit as fast as Short gets by Britt.

On another play, Britt and Lewis double team Short and he gets both of them.

I can't stress enough that Britt is a 2nd year player, and last year was his first at Guard. Now you're putting him up against one of the very best 3 tech DT's in the league. And you can't give him DT help because your 4th year Guard on the other side can't hold his block in pass protection either. When Lewis had to block Short, he didn't do all that well either.

Our entire interior OL is crap when it comes to pass protection. I think it's a bit short sighted to blame it all on a first year player (at the posittion) without addressing facts as a whole. Sweezy is what he is. He's never going to get better in pass pro that he is right now, and he's not good. Lewis isn't a great fit for our scheme at Center, but he's average in pass pro and decent in the run game. Britt is largely an unknown; he wasn't allowed to progress at RT (where he was rated as one of the best run blocking RT's in the league as a rookie) because he had to slide inside to Guard, where he'd never played (I don't count high school as a valid NFL experience builder).

Yea, Britt looked bad this year, but we honestly don't know what we have in him. It's very similar to Deshawn Shead. We still don't know how good he can be at CB because he's a young player always switching between Safety and CB (both outside and Nickle) and not really allowed to settle in and concentrate on one spot.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I appreciate the post but disagree on Britt. I think they know exactly what they have in him and will be looking to end the experiment. Lineman do make quick transitions and do adequately. There are cases of it all over the league. He was no where near adequate. I realize Short isn't the best example but we could of picked almost any game this year and seen something similar. They can't afford to start him next year.

McGruff

Reaction score
FormerEvil":mgcsr8zl said:
McGruff":mgcsr8zl said:
FormerEvil":mgcsr8zl said:
austinslater25":mgcsr8zl said:

No, it's Britt. Go back and watch it again. The "clip", meaning "video". Okung gets beat but Britt literally blocks no one and runs a loop out wide like he was expecting a bootleg or something. It comically bad and he looks like someone that's incapable of remembering his assignments or the plays.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/puot.mp4 . . . first video . . . it's not Britt getting beat by Short. Britt is looping around by design because Wilson's #1 read was what looks like a screen to that side. Wihtout seeing the all-2 its hard to tell who was down there and why Wilson looks that way and clutches the throw, but it was obviously designed to go there.

But it's #76 that gets destroyed by Short.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3vaqz0ra said:

So what would you call Sweezy who got beat just as badly from that same article?