Thoughts on Cassius Marsh

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I know Irvin talked about taking less to stay in Seattle, but that's all talk at this point. We've seen and heard this song and dance before (Tate). Bruce has also made it known that he's all about the Benjamin's, and his desire to have a homecoming in Atlanta and reuniting with Quinn.

Honestly, I don't see Bruce back next year. So that begs the question; Can Marsh be Bruce's replacement? He certainly looks the part. He's definitely fast enough. He hasn't shown much, but has flashed at times. Does anyone think Marsh can turn into a legit pass rushing linebacker, who can also hold his own against the run? I personally hope so.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Has Marsh ever played LB at any level? He's been a pure DE as far as I know. Just because a freak of nature athlete like Bruce made the conversion does not mean that any other smallish DE out there can do the same. You're not giving Bruce enough credit for how impressive an accomplishment it was.

Marsh seems like a really nice special teamer and an ultra mediocre DL player. He's almost never gonna give you any impact plays on D, but he probably won't make too many devastating screw ups either. On the DL, he's just a guy.

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":7ryyk167 said:
Has Marsh ever played LB at any level? He's been a pure DE as far as I know. Just because a freak of nature athlete like Bruce made the conversion does not mean that any other smallish DE out there can do the same. You're not giving Bruce enough credit for how impressive an accomplishment it was.

Marsh seems like a really nice special teamer and an ultra mediocre DL player. He's almost never gonna give you any impact plays on D, but he probably won't make too many devastating screw ups either. On the DL, he's just a guy.

Dang bruh, harsh! I don't know, coming out off UCLA, and during the combine, a lot of articles talked about his ability to play inside and outside on the line, and also at SAM. I think he's versatile enough to pull it off.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
If Irvin does move on, I've seen it mentioned a few different places that Kam should get considered at the the SAM spot with McCary taking over at SS. I actually like the idea. His coverage responsibilities at SAM would be reduced, a good thing, and he just might excel at pass rushing. I remember him blowing up Eric Winston in 2013 and can't help wondering if he would make a good edge rusher.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I recall something from the team prior to last season about trying Marsh at LB. Don't know what ever became of it. Maybe it's still a possibility.

Marsh is listed at 6'4"- 254 pounds. Not tiny for a DE, but kinda under average. To me he seems a little light in the pants.

He could still develop into an effective edge-setter and pass rushing end. Next year may tell us if it's going to happen or not.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marsh is not fast enough and would probably struggle in coverage. He has zero sacks in his career. As a special teamer, he has been really good.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Marsh is a try hard guy. He's not really a contributor on the DLine. He'll make an occasional tackle for loss on a stretch play to his side. I really don't see that he has skills to make an impact as a starter.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
After watching Marsh for 4 years at UCLA, I could never understand the fervor over this draft pick. That being said, I hoped that the coaches prove my instincts wrong. Marsh is what I thought he was - Just a guy. Now, I think he is devloping into a core special teamer which is good, but I don't see him ever being a solid contributor on the DL, and I certainly cannot envision him playing LB. He's kind of like the Mike Morgan of the DL.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Special teams, depth. A piece but not a critical piece.

Polk738

Reaction score
He looked great on ST after we lost Lockette for the year but other than that I don't know if he'll ever be much more

massari

Reaction score
Tattoos, white and picking him instead of Martavis Bryant.

northseahawk

Reaction score
bigDhawk":1wr7y6qj said:
If Irvin does move on, I've seen it mentioned a few different places that Kam should get considered at the the SAM spot with McCary taking over at SS. I actually like the idea. His coverage responsibilities at SAM would be reduced, a good thing, and he just might excel at pass rushing. I remember him blowing up Eric Winston in 2013 and can't help wondering if he would make a good edge rusher.

interesting!
Kam was a liability and somewhat a downgrade in the secondary. Maybe a change to lb could help him back to being impactful.

xgeoff

Reaction score
bigDhawk":3py4r47g said:

Wow, I REALLY like this idea. Get Kam closer to the line of scrimmage. I was impressed with McCray this year. I don't like Irvin and I think he's moving on, so we will need to replace him. Kam can replace him at LB and maybe Marsh replaces him at end. I thought Irvin was a terrible pass rusher.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Bruce is a freak who played safety at community college. Marsh is fast, but he doesn't compare to Bruce in athleticism or experience.