Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Back to back 10am games

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:10 am
  • I hate the whining over this but at the same time, there needs to be a change in rules for west coast teams. Not sure why Mr. Allen has not voiced up on this.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33673
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 am
  • I heard on the radio that Arizona has gone to the east coast for the whole week before. I'm betting they do it again.

    I also heard on the radio that NO WEST COAST TEAM has ever won the super bowl while playing a 10 am game. That is unbelievable. Even when the Niners were a dynasty, they never did it. They played the Bears in Chicago in one of their SB winning years, but it was a late afternoon game (4:30 EST). It doesn't take a lot of research to show that not only giving us one 10am game but 2 this year completely screwed us.
    User avatar
    vonstout
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 365
    Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:47 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    gaucho wrote:
    getnasty wrote:It's called home field advantage for a reason, enough with the 10:00am game thing. In fact i'm pretty sure our win percentage is better in 10:00am games then non 10:00am games this year.


    I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'm pretty sure that's just anecdotal. There is zero doubt that it is a disadvantage, and it turns out that it's quite significant. You guys got screwed by the playoff scheduling. As I mentioned in another thread, west coast teams get screwed in the regular season by having to play at 10 am.

    Some stats:

    From '01 to '14, home teams win 57.5% of their games. This number is remarkably consistent, within 1% of that figure 9 of the 14 years.

    Against West coast teams in non 10am games, home teams wins 55.8% of games. Against central teams home team wins 57.2% against east coast teams home team wins 56.7% of games. However, in 10 am games (which are exclusive to west coast teams) home teams wins 64.8%.

    Since '01 Seattle has won 39.3% of 10am games, and 45.1% of non 10am road games.
    FWIW, my niners have won 31.7% of 10am games, and 51.1% of non 10am road games.
    (don't conclude that SF is worse in 10am games than seattle, there just isn't enough data points to have any meaning for the team by team stats, even with 14 years of games).

    Want more stats?
    in 10am games, the road team commits 7.29 penalties, turns the ball over 1.83 times and drops 5.22% of passes.
    In non 10am games, the road team commits 6.42 penalties, turn the ball over 1.39 times and drop 4.97% of passes.

    East coast teams playing primetime games on the west coast see a slight decline in performance, but not nearly as significant. (the above is "statistically significant", while the east coast primetime disadvantage is not). It's worth noting that west coast 10am games are far more prevalent (roughly 4x) than east coast primetime games back west.

    Finally, some anecdotal evidence specific to your hawks. Since '01, you guys have played 6 playoff games at 10am. You're 1-5 in those games, the lone win coming last week.




    Just to piggy back on this. The Montanan 49ers the best west coast team in the Super Bowl era lost every 10 AM road playoff game they ever played. In fact the biggest blowout of the occurred at 10AM 49-3 to Giants. They lost the year before at 10AM to the Giants 17-3 so yes 10AM is a factor.


    This awesome do you have a link I can use to point this out to non believers.
    User avatar
    rcaido
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 383
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am
  • It is just ridiculous that west coast teams receive little to no consideration in starting times for east coast games.

    Clearly, it is not a level playing field between east and west coast teams. Probably something that should have been resolved a very long time ago.

    BTW, this has nothing to do with a conspiracy or "if you'd played better you wouldn't have to come east and play at 10:00 AM". It is simply a fundamental built in advantage that east coast teams receive most of the time (as in every time the game starts at 10:00 AM pacific).

    Would it really be that hard to schedule games involving west coast teams in a late afternoon (east coast time) time slot? If not for the regular season, at least for the playoffs?
    Silver Hawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 226
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:36 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:30 am
  • Aros wrote:I loves me a good conspiracy but this 10am conspiracy falls short to me. It's quite simple. Win your division and that takes care of that. Win a ton of games and get HFA, then that really takes care of that.

    The NFL isn't out to get us people. Take care of business, and the business of the NFL will take care of you.


    I don't think most here are calling it a conspiracy (although it fits). But the facts are there supporting the fairness (or not) of these 10am games. The Hawks wouldn't be getting an advantage by moving their game time to what their use to at 1pm pacific, but would gain equal ground.
    10am is not the issue, it's what time the body thinks it is.
    User avatar
    captSE
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 644
    Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:45 pm
    Location: Southeast Alaska


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:40 am
  • Agent Dib posted this in another thread. Yet more proof that it's a huge disadvantage to be a Pacific Time Zone team (this one is Seahawks specific) playing at 10:00 AM.......



    AgentDib wrote:Here are our 12 playoff first half/second half splits under Pete sorted by start time.

    @Panthers: 0-31 first half, 24-0 second half (10am)
    @Vikings: 0-3 first half, 10-6 second half (10am)
    @Falcons: 0-20 first half, 28-10 second half (10am)
    @Bears: 0-21 first half, 24-14 second half (10am)
    Packers: 0-16 first half, 22-6 second half (12pm)
    Saints: 16-0 first half, 7-15 second half (1pm)
    @Redskins: 13-14 first half, 11-0 second half (1pm)
    Saints: 24-20 first half, 16-17 second half (1pm)
    Patriots: 14-14 first half, 10-14 second half (3pm)
    Broncos: 22-0 first half, 21-8 second half (3pm)
    Panthers: 14-10 first half, 17-7 second half (5pm)
    49ers: 3-10 first half, 20-7 second half (6pm)

    Anything jump off the page at you? In games played at 1 pm PST or later we have outscored our opponents 106-68 in the first half. OTOH in games starting before 1pm we have been outscored 0-91 in the first half. This is not a general problem but rather a specific one.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:43 pm
  • I don't understand the scheduling in the playoffs. The Saturday games start at like 4pm and 8:00pm Eastern time. Why can't they do the exact same thing on Sunday? They play 8:30pm games every Sunday and Monday night during the season. There is no reason to start one game that early. I understand the HFA thing, but I have a couple of problems with that as an end all be all rule. First off, if that's your reasoning, then you need to re-seed according to record. A 7-9 team had no business having a home game and a 10-6 or 11-5 team having to go on the road. HFA is things like crowd noise, atmosphere, environment, etc. It's not about arbitrarily starting a game that biases any west coast team. That can be controlled.
    User avatar
    acbass
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 464
    Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:55 pm
    Location: Spartanburg, SC


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 pm
  • acbass wrote:I don't understand the scheduling in the playoffs. The Saturday games start at like 4pm and 8:00pm Eastern time. Why can't they do the exact same thing on Sunday? They play 8:30pm games every Sunday and Monday night during the season. There is no reason to start one game that early. I understand the HFA thing, but I have a couple of problems with that as an end all be all rule. First off, if that's your reasoning, then you need to re-seed according to record. A 7-9 team had no business having a home game and a 10-6 or 11-5 team having to go on the road. HFA is things like crowd noise, atmosphere, environment, etc. It's not about arbitrarily starting a game that biases any west coast team. That can be controlled.

    :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
  • rcaido wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:
    gaucho wrote:
    getnasty wrote:It's called home field advantage for a reason, enough with the 10:00am game thing. In fact i'm pretty sure our win percentage is better in 10:00am games then non 10:00am games this year.


    I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'm pretty sure that's just anecdotal. There is zero doubt that it is a disadvantage, and it turns out that it's quite significant. You guys got screwed by the playoff scheduling. As I mentioned in another thread, west coast teams get screwed in the regular season by having to play at 10 am.

    Some stats:

    From '01 to '14, home teams win 57.5% of their games. This number is remarkably consistent, within 1% of that figure 9 of the 14 years.

    Against West coast teams in non 10am games, home teams wins 55.8% of games. Against central teams home team wins 57.2% against east coast teams home team wins 56.7% of games. However, in 10 am games (which are exclusive to west coast teams) home teams wins 64.8%.

    Since '01 Seattle has won 39.3% of 10am games, and 45.1% of non 10am road games.
    FWIW, my niners have won 31.7% of 10am games, and 51.1% of non 10am road games.
    (don't conclude that SF is worse in 10am games than seattle, there just isn't enough data points to have any meaning for the team by team stats, even with 14 years of games).

    Want more stats?
    in 10am games, the road team commits 7.29 penalties, turns the ball over 1.83 times and drops 5.22% of passes.
    In non 10am games, the road team commits 6.42 penalties, turn the ball over 1.39 times and drop 4.97% of passes.

    East coast teams playing primetime games on the west coast see a slight decline in performance, but not nearly as significant. (the above is "statistically significant", while the east coast primetime disadvantage is not). It's worth noting that west coast 10am games are far more prevalent (roughly 4x) than east coast primetime games back west.

    Finally, some anecdotal evidence specific to your hawks. Since '01, you guys have played 6 playoff games at 10am. You're 1-5 in those games, the lone win coming last week.




    Just to piggy back on this. The Montanan 49ers the best west coast team in the Super Bowl era lost every 10 AM road playoff game they ever played. In fact the biggest blowout of the occurred at 10AM 49-3 to Giants. They lost the year before at 10AM to the Giants 17-3 so yes 10AM is a factor.


    This awesome do you have a link I can use to point this out to non believers.


    I'm not supposed to share it until it's published. It probably doesn't matter, but I want to be respectful. I'll post a link in this thread when it's up. It will be in February (early, I think).
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:11 pm
  • It is truly simple people. It is the TV networks, and where most of their viewers reside. The NFL sold out to TV for big bucks, and the networks decide WHO plays when.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2831
    Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:23 pm
  • Win the division and get HFA and we avoid all 10AM games.. pretty simple.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11354
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm
  • vonstout wrote:I heard on the radio that Arizona has gone to the east coast for the whole week before. I'm betting they do it again.


    They have no reason to do that, the NFC CG starts at 4:30 AZ time.

    Win more games and none of this is an issue.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11354
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:43 pm
  • So the 10am start is the problem, huh? Funny how LAST year when the Panthers had to play at Seattle, they did not complain about having to adjust to west coast time when they lost.

    Better yet, The packers had to travel to the East coast for their first game on a sunday then on a short week travel to the west coast to play a team that had a bye. That is a lot of travel and a lot of missed practice and game planning time. Yet I don't see them complaining about it.

    Don't like playing 10:00am game time?

    Don't get Swept by The RAMS!
    OR
    Win More Games & Get HFA!
    OR
    File complaints w/the NFL
    OR
    Score More Points than ZERO in 30 minutes of play vs Panthers!

    If you Coach knows you're already 0 for whatever in 10:00am games...Adjust your habits and do something different FFS!

    Simple as that!
    PNW9erFan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 pm
  • PNW9erFan wrote:So the 10am start is the problem, huh? Funny how LAST year when the Panthers had to play at Seattle, they did not complain about having to adjust to west coast time when they lost.

    Better yet, The packers had to travel to the East coast for their first game on a sunday then on a short week travel to the west coast to play a team that had a bye. That is a lot of travel and a lot of missed practice and game planning time. Yet I don't see them complaining about it.

    Don't like playing 10:00am game time?

    Don't get Swept by The RAMS!
    OR
    Win More Games & Get HFA!
    OR
    File complaints w/the NFL
    OR
    Score More Points than ZERO in 30 minutes of play vs Panthers!

    If you Coach knows you're already 0 for whatever in 10:00am games...Adjust your habits and do something different FFS!

    Simple as that!

    You didn't even read the thread did you.

    Go away troll
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 11240
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:49 pm
  • I've been the one pumping the importance of a 10am game more than anyone on here. I hate the seahawks. OK, hate is a little strong, but I am certainly not a fan. My point is that dismissing this as whining or seahawk fans looking for an excuse is ignorant.

    10 am games offer a huge competitive advantage to the home team. I studied it and the results will be published here
    https://www.asep.org/index.php/resources/jep-online/
    in their next issue (Februrary). This disadvantage is far more prevalent and far more significant than any other one faced in the NFL. So much so that I am shocked that these games are still played (yes, I understand the TV contract implications).

    For example, most would point to east coast teams playing in the primetime slot in the west for a comparison. This is wrong.

    1) Humans recover quicker from a phase lengthening (westward travel) than a phase shortening (eastward travel).

    2) Most aspects of athletic performance (strength, reaction time, flexibility, etc) mimic the core body temperature cycle, which is at its peak in the early evening. This makes 10am pst games far tougher than 8pm est games.

    3) the data supports the hypothesis above. win percentage, penalty prevalence, turnover prevalence, drop pass rates all do exactly what human physiology would expect then to do, which is all detrimental for 10am starts.

    4) There are far fewer 8pm est starts than 10am pst starts, so even if they were equally detrimental (which they are not) it still wouldn't be fair to west coast teams.


    My goal is to get the NFL to abolish these in the regular season (which presumably would also get rid of them in the playoffs). I'm only here because the seahawks playoff struggles in these games brought attention to the issue.

    Yes, if Seattle wins the division they don't have to face this disadvantage. However, Carolina, or any other non west coast team, does not have to win its divison to avoid this disadvantage. That is inherently unfair.
    Last edited by gaucho on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:53 pm
  • Pregame meal at 6 AM. Warm ups at 8. Game at 10.

    All so the NFL can showcase an afternoon game or two in a format going back decades.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 14663
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:41 pm
  • Thank you, Gaucho, for this eye opening perspective. Perhaps, it will open the heart of the NFL front office personnel to give the teams from the West Coast a fair break.......or as some may prefer "level playing field".
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7132
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:14 am
  • acbass wrote:I don't understand the scheduling in the playoffs. The Saturday games start at like 4pm and 8:00pm Eastern time. Why can't they do the exact same thing on Sunday? They play 8:30pm games every Sunday and Monday night during the season. There is no reason to start one game that early. I understand the HFA thing, but I have a couple of problems with that as an end all be all rule. First off, if that's your reasoning, then you need to re-seed according to record. A 7-9 team had no business having a home game and a 10-6 or 11-5 team having to go on the road. HFA is things like crowd noise, atmosphere, environment, etc. It's not about arbitrarily starting a game that biases any west coast team. That can be controlled.



    I said this to my coworker today...WTF is that shit. Why is Saturday not 10am and 1:40 or so as well. Or Sunday be later start times like saturday. What possible reason is there to have different start times..I just dont get it.
    Image

    "Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    User avatar
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    vonstout wrote:I heard on the radio that Arizona has gone to the east coast for the whole week before. I'm betting they do it again.


    They have no reason to do that, the NFC CG starts at 4:30 AZ time.

    Win more games and none of this is an issue.


    Which i think is hilarious btw....

    We get two 10am starts but the championship is at almost 2pm..what a joke
    Image

    "Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    User avatar
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:27 am
  • PNW9erFan wrote:So the 10am start is the problem, huh? Funny how LAST year when the Panthers had to play at Seattle, they did not complain about having to adjust to west coast time when they lost.

    Better yet, The packers had to travel to the East coast for their first game on a sunday then on a short week travel to the west coast to play a team that had a bye. That is a lot of travel and a lot of missed practice and game planning time. Yet I don't see them complaining about it.

    Don't like playing 10:00am game time?

    Don't get Swept by The RAMS!
    OR
    Win More Games & Get HFA!
    OR
    File complaints w/the NFL
    OR
    Score More Points than ZERO in 30 minutes of play vs Panthers!

    If you Coach knows you're already 0 for whatever in 10:00am games...Adjust your habits and do something different FFS!

    Simple as that!


    Wasnt that Panther vs Seahawk game played in the primetime slot....so....whats the big deal...I am pretty sure that game was at like 5pm was it not. How is that a disadvantage to the Panthers.

    Also I am pretty sure Seahawks traveled further than the Packers....by probably 1000+ miles actually
    Image

    "Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    User avatar
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:37 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    PNW9erFan wrote:So the 10am start is the problem, huh? Funny how LAST year when the Panthers had to play at Seattle, they did not complain about having to adjust to west coast time when they lost.

    Better yet, The packers had to travel to the East coast for their first game on a sunday then on a short week travel to the west coast to play a team that had a bye. That is a lot of travel and a lot of missed practice and game planning time. Yet I don't see them complaining about it.

    Don't like playing 10:00am game time?

    Don't get Swept by The RAMS!
    OR
    Win More Games & Get HFA!
    OR
    File complaints w/the NFL
    OR
    Score More Points than ZERO in 30 minutes of play vs Panthers!

    If you Coach knows you're already 0 for whatever in 10:00am games...Adjust your habits and do something different FFS!

    Simple as that!

    You didn't even read the thread did you.

    Go away troll


    Maybe he is too stupid to realize that his whiners have the same issue and are also located on the West coast. Joe Montana lost EVERY 10am road playoff game he played and was blown out of a couple of them while with the whiners.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5414
    Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:38 am
  • francois.nc wrote:You were the number 6 seed, that is the worst, did you expect to get to play at home or something. Maybe you should relocate to the East Coast somewhere so you won't have to complain about 10am games anymore.


    You won, we lost. Go crawl back into your den and enjoy watching your no class douche bag QB dance like a clown. Wonder if we see or hear from you if AZ kicks your asses..

    You are dismissed.
    User avatar
    Sign37now
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 654
    Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:49 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:24 am
  • Aside from all of this and what is lost is the fans on the west coast.

    I love coffee and cereal, but I don't like to watch my football drinking coffee and eating cereal.

    What needs to be done is pressure on the beer company showing how all their beer commercials are lost on the 10:00 am games in the west coast. I'm pretty sure they would rather have us drinking beer and eating chips than.. coffee and OJ.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2317
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:06 pm
  • gaucho:

    I appreciate your efforts a great deal and I wish you success in your quest to end all 10:00 AM Pacific games in the NFL. It could easily be done.

    I know you're a 9er fan and I just though I'd remind you of the absolute screwing your franchise took in terms of scheduling at the beginning of the season in case you've forgotten (unlikely). Your team played they late Monday night opener the first week of the season against the Vikings and IIRC the game didn't end until nearly midnight Pacific time. The following week they had to travel to Pittsburgh and play a Sunday morning, 10:00 AM game and the results were quite predictable, they got beat handily.

    As a side note, Pittsburgh made their first visit to Seattle in like 12 years this season because the scheduling was being 'reset' and in '11 Seattle traveled to Pittsburgh when they should've visited Seattle. I might alsoi add that the Steelers were given a bye week before their trip to Seattle.

    I mention these 2 things because I actually do believe there is a conspiracy to give the east coast teams a competitive advantage when it comes to scheduling and I think the Steelers are front and center in benefiting from this type of thing. Rooney is a powerful and influential guy in the NFL and his team has the biggest national following of any. The league as well as the team itself benefit greatly from assuring their competitive relevance (merchandise sales!). I mention this because I believe you will be fighting against Rooney and other eastern team owners (Kraft, Mara, Richardson?) working behind the public face of Goodell to make sure this doesn't happen and I feel you need to find a way to coalesce western and mountain owners and get them to get central and eastern owners sympathetic to their plight to join forces with them to overcome Rooney and others that like things just as they are.

    One other thing I'd like to bring up......people say that TV is the reason for this and that IMO makes ZERO sense whatsoever. As Colin Cowherd often says, the NFL is the highest rated TV show on 4 networks, CBS, FOX, ESPN and NBC. Networks love live sports cuz people watch the commercials rather than fast forwarding through them because it's on their DVR thus they get better ad revenue from live sports than any other shows because advertisers and the networks know people are seeing those ads. I just don't believe for a second that the networks give a hoot about when games are on so long as they are on. Also, no 10:00 AM Pacific games might well actually increase viewers in the Pacific and Mountain time zones because there would be no conflict with Sunday morning church services as well.



    Fight the good fight for the Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers, Rams, Cards and Broncos!
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:22 pm
  • I remember as a kid watching on Sundays and HATING the fact that I had to wait until 11am (MST) for football to start. It was never my Seahawks playing that early, but it was something to do until 2pm when *cross-my-fingers* the Seahawks game instead of the Broncos or 49ers game would be on TV.

    Now, as an adult, I say ban the 11am games!! I can't effing wake up and start drinking that early, and usually I'm hungover and have a raging headache until 2pm anyway from the night before. GD NFL (in association with Bud Light, etc.) if you want my beer money, stop making 11am games... start games at 1pm and then afternoon games start at 4pm, and have a primetime game at 6:30pm (yes, it will start while the other games are finishing, but so what)... Monday and Thursday games...meh. whatever.
    User avatar
    chawx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1305
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Salt Lake City, UT


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:30 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:gaucho:

    I appreciate your efforts a great deal and I wish you success in your quest to end all 10:00 AM Pacific games in the NFL. It could easily be done.

    I know you're a 9er fan and I just though I'd remind you of the absolute screwing your franchise took in terms of scheduling at the beginning of the season in case you've forgotten (unlikely). Your team played they late Monday night opener the first week of the season against the Vikings and IIRC the game didn't end until nearly midnight Pacific time. The following week they had to travel to Pittsburgh and play a Sunday morning, 10:00 AM game and the results were quite predictable, they got beat handily.

    As a side note, Pittsburgh made their first visit to Seattle in like 12 years this season because the scheduling was being 'reset' and in '11 Seattle traveled to Pittsburgh when they should've visited Seattle. I might alsoi add that the Steelers were given a bye week before their trip to Seattle.

    I mention these 2 things because I actually do believe there is a conspiracy to give the east coast teams a competitive advantage when it comes to scheduling and I think the Steelers are front and center in benefiting from this type of thing. Rooney is a powerful and influential guy in the NFL and his team has the biggest national following of any. The league as well as the team itself benefit greatly from assuring their competitive relevance (merchandise sales!). I mention this because I believe you will be fighting against Rooney and other eastern team owners (Kraft, Mara, Richardson?) working behind the public face of Goodell to make sure this doesn't happen and I feel you need to find a way to coalesce western and mountain owners and get them to get central and eastern owners sympathetic to their plight to join forces with them to overcome Rooney and others that like things just as they are.

    One other thing I'd like to bring up......people say that TV is the reason for this and that IMO makes ZERO sense whatsoever. As Colin Cowherd often says, the NFL is the highest rated TV show on 4 networks, CBS, FOX, ESPN and NBC. Networks love live sports cuz people watch the commercials rather than fast forwarding through them because it's on their DVR thus they get better ad revenue from live sports than any other shows because advertisers and the networks know people are seeing those ads. I just don't believe for a second that the networks give a hoot about when games are on so long as they are on. Also, no 10:00 AM Pacific games might well actually increase viewers in the Pacific and Mountain time zones because there would be no conflict with Sunday morning church services as well.



    Fight the good fight for the Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers, Rams, Cards and Broncos!


    How did the 49ers get screwed in week 1....going against the Vikings who were basically starting the game at 9:30 THEIR time....I would say Vikings got screwed...game was starting at bed time for them.
    Image

    "Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    User avatar
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:50 pm
  • If you know a week in advance, why didn't the team move everything for the entire week up an hour or so.?

    Wouldn't 6-7 days make the adjustment easier?
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3924
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:52 pm
  • WilsonMVP wrote:How did the 49ers get screwed in week 1....going against the Vikings who were basically starting the game at 9:30 THEIR time....I would say Vikings got screwed...game was starting at bed time for them.

    Both teams got screwed. The Vikings for having to play that incredibly late hour for their body clocks and the 9ers for having to play a 10:00 AM game is Pissburgh basically 5 days after finishing a game at midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning. That late Monday night game should've been scheduled against another Pacific Time Zone team for sure, not Minny. SF should not have had to go east and play at 10 AM the following week (though as stated numerous times, I believe NO team should have to play at 10 AM Pacific).
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:13 pm
  • Actually, if they left Saturday instead of friday, it might be better since the lag hasn't set in yet... lag seems to set in a day later.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2317
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:21 pm
  • Another issue is not only waking up at 4:30 PST on the east coast but try going to bed at 8pm. I saw a tweet from KPL the night before the game at I believe 11:38pm talking about the GB game. What are you doing up at 11:30ish the night before a huge game? Maybe falling sleep is tough at 8:38pm PST, no? It would be tough for just about anyone.
    Last edited by seabowl on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2407
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:32 pm
  • The same thinking that has the Seahawks as the most penalized team vs. every single one of their opponents applies to this situation. The Hawks were not the team with the lowest record as the 6th seed in their conference so why does Pittsburg get the more favourable later game? Seems to me setting up the Hawks to fail was in the cards for the league, as a left coast team the Hawks are not exactly league darling besides the team has been there at the top for the past 2 seasons, time to skew everything against them. Meanwhile the darlings from Pittsburg are treated more favourably. I'm going to tune in my tinfoil hat now.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5105
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:44 pm
  • rcaido wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:
    gaucho wrote:
    getnasty wrote:It's called home field advantage for a reason, enough with the 10:00am game thing. In fact i'm pretty sure our win percentage is better in 10:00am games then non 10:00am games this year.


    I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'm pretty sure that's just anecdotal. There is zero doubt that it is a disadvantage, and it turns out that it's quite significant. You guys got screwed by the playoff scheduling. As I mentioned in another thread, west coast teams get screwed in the regular season by having to play at 10 am.

    Some stats:

    From '01 to '14, home teams win 57.5% of their games. This number is remarkably consistent, within 1% of that figure 9 of the 14 years.

    Against West coast teams in non 10am games, home teams wins 55.8% of games. Against central teams home team wins 57.2% against east coast teams home team wins 56.7% of games. However, in 10 am games (which are exclusive to west coast teams) home teams wins 64.8%.

    Since '01 Seattle has won 39.3% of 10am games, and 45.1% of non 10am road games.
    FWIW, my niners have won 31.7% of 10am games, and 51.1% of non 10am road games.
    (don't conclude that SF is worse in 10am games than seattle, there just isn't enough data points to have any meaning for the team by team stats, even with 14 years of games).

    Want more stats?
    in 10am games, the road team commits 7.29 penalties, turns the ball over 1.83 times and drops 5.22% of passes.
    In non 10am games, the road team commits 6.42 penalties, turn the ball over 1.39 times and drop 4.97% of passes.

    East coast teams playing primetime games on the west coast see a slight decline in performance, but not nearly as significant. (the above is "statistically significant", while the east coast primetime disadvantage is not). It's worth noting that west coast 10am games are far more prevalent (roughly 4x) than east coast primetime games back west.

    Finally, some anecdotal evidence specific to your hawks. Since '01, you guys have played 6 playoff games at 10am. You're 1-5 in those games, the lone win coming last week.




    Just to piggy back on this. The Montanan 49ers the best west coast team in the Super Bowl era lost every 10 AM road playoff game they ever played. In fact the biggest blowout of the occurred at 10AM 49-3 to Giants. They lost the year before at 10AM to the Giants 17-3 so yes 10AM is a factor.


    This awesome do you have a link I can use to point this out to non believers.


    Here's the paper that I referenced. It will be presented to Goodell by the 49ers. Fingers crossed.
    https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlin ... _Brian.pdf
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:54 am
  • gaucho wrote:Here's the paper that I referenced. It will be presented to Goodell by the 49ers. Fingers crossed.
    https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlin ... _Brian.pdf

    Awesome. It would be really helpful if all the other pacific and mountain time zone teams would join in and present a united front on this. Any idea if they are on board with the 9ers on this?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:26 am
  • SF has been in contact with west coast teams about this issue for the past few years. If I understand correctly, they may have shared the exact article that I linked above this year.
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:14 am
  • gaucho wrote:SF has been in contact with west coast teams about this issue for the past few years. If I understand correctly, they may have shared the exact article that I linked above this year.

    Thanks. I'd be shocked if the other west coast/mountain teams weren't fully supportive of SF.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:30 am
  • After looking at that paper and seeing the statistical differences... I'm not opposed to 10 AM Starts, but the NFL should never make a west coast team play 10 AM games back to back... not during the regular season and especially not during the playoffs. It's clearly a disadvantage to West Coast teams and it's a disadvantage East Coast teams don't have to face.
    firebee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1679
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:43 pm
    Location: Florence, Oregon


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:53 am
  • firebee wrote:After looking at that paper and seeing the statistical differences... I'm not opposed to 10 AM Starts, but the NFL should never make a west coast team play 10 AM games back to back... not during the regular season and especially not during the playoffs. It's clearly a disadvantage to West Coast teams and it's a disadvantage East Coast teams don't have to face.


    Thanks for reading!

    I'm surprised that you're okay with 10am games at all. Maybe I didn't do a good job of showing how much of a disadvantage they imply.

    One way you can look at it is to note that the 3 point disadvantage that they cost the road team is more than the loss of any single non-QB player in the league. The difference between Lynch and whoever you guys started in minnesota was 1.5 or 2 points. That's accounting for the fact that it was going to be sub 0 in a defensively dominated game, with Rawls out for the year.

    Imagine if the league said that Houston had to play half of their road games without JJ watt. That would be less unfair than the current regular season scheduling situation.

    And all of that is ignoring injuries. I don't have injury data, but would be shocked if players weren't at greater risk for injuries in these games.
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:19 pm
  • gaucho wrote:
    firebee wrote:After looking at that paper and seeing the statistical differences... I'm not opposed to 10 AM Starts, but the NFL should never make a west coast team play 10 AM games back to back... not during the regular season and especially not during the playoffs. It's clearly a disadvantage to West Coast teams and it's a disadvantage East Coast teams don't have to face.


    Thanks for reading!

    I'm surprised that you're okay with 10am games at all. Maybe I didn't do a good job of showing how much of a disadvantage they imply.

    One way you can look at it is to note that the 3 point disadvantage that they cost the road team is more than the loss of any single non-QB player in the league. The difference between Lynch and whoever you guys started in minnesota was 1.5 or 2 points. That's accounting for the fact that it was going to be sub 0 in a defensively dominated game, with Rawls out for the year.

    Imagine if the league said that Houston had to play half of their road games without JJ watt. That would be less unfair than the current regular season scheduling situation.

    And all of that is ignoring injuries. I don't have injury data, but would be shocked if players weren't at greater risk for injuries in these games.

    If the data did show a higher injury rate for western teams playing at 10:00, it's a shame you don't have the data cuz if you did it would be an irrefutable point in your (and west coast teams) favor consifering Goodell's constant chatter about how important safety is to the league.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:43 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    gaucho wrote:
    firebee wrote:After looking at that paper and seeing the statistical differences... I'm not opposed to 10 AM Starts, but the NFL should never make a west coast team play 10 AM games back to back... not during the regular season and especially not during the playoffs. It's clearly a disadvantage to West Coast teams and it's a disadvantage East Coast teams don't have to face.


    Thanks for reading!

    I'm surprised that you're okay with 10am games at all. Maybe I didn't do a good job of showing how much of a disadvantage they imply.

    One way you can look at it is to note that the 3 point disadvantage that they cost the road team is more than the loss of any single non-QB player in the league. The difference between Lynch and whoever you guys started in minnesota was 1.5 or 2 points. That's accounting for the fact that it was going to be sub 0 in a defensively dominated game, with Rawls out for the year.

    Imagine if the league said that Houston had to play half of their road games without JJ watt. That would be less unfair than the current regular season scheduling situation.

    And all of that is ignoring injuries. I don't have injury data, but would be shocked if players weren't at greater risk for injuries in these games.

    If the data did show a higher injury rate for western teams playing at 10:00, it's a shame you don't have the data cuz if you did it would be an irrefutable point in your (and west coast teams) favor consifering Goodell's constant chatter about how important safety is to the league.


    Given the physiological detriments (less back strength, reduced knee flexibility, etc) associated with 10am starts, I'd be shocked if there wasn't any correlation to injury. Alas, the league cited HIPAA violations when SF requested the injury data. From my prior work in healthcare, I know the HIPAA excuse is BS. The league promised it's own study on injuries... I'm not going to hold my breath.
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:22 pm
  • Win the division, get homefield, and 10 am starts aren't a discussion.
    User avatar
    HawkMeat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 967
    Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 am
    Location: Kidnap County


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:41 pm
  • HawkMeat wrote:Win the division, get homefield, and 10 am starts aren't a discussion.


    That statement has been repeated at least five times in the past month on this board. How many times do we have to hear this mantra? If you believe in it so strongly, just attach that line to your signature!
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7132
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:49 pm
  • HawkMeat wrote:Win the division, get homefield, and 10 am starts aren't a discussion.



    Kinda like saying, Be a billionaire and paying bills won't ever be a discussion.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2317
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:27 pm
  • HawkMeat wrote:Win the division, get homefield, and 10 am starts aren't a discussion.


    new rule: teams with a bird logo are required to play four regular season road games with only 10 players on all special teams plays. Additionally, these bird teams will occasionally be subject to the 10 man special team rule in playoff road games.

    Win the division, get homefield, and 10 man special teams rule isn't even a discussion.
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:59 pm
  • At some point, you need to adjust.

    Playing 10am games on the EC puts the WC team at a competitive disadvantage. Enough data to make that a reasonable takeaway. So what to do about it?

    Those are the rules. Life isn't fair.

    What you can do is work with what you can control.

    So what can you control? You have a week from the last game to get to the next field. That means you should be traveling immediately to give yourself time to adjust to both the time zone and enervating affects of air travel (there is a mountain of evidence about how traveling for long distance can sap the body of strength for up to 48 hours).

    I get that the facilities have specific equipment it is hard to duplicate, which make preparation more difficult. But that is a business expense, most of the equipment out there is able to be found in other locations and frankly most of the real valuable items (information) are easily transferred to any location needed.

    So, continuing to travel back and forth between the games when you KNOW you need to return is fundamentally stupid. In the example of Carolina, the team never should have come back to Seattle at all but instead went right to Carolina from Minny. Now to where? Pretty clear that the team needs in invest in an EC practice facilty, a cost that can be shared with other WC teams that might also need to use it for their road trips.

    There are plenty of things about there you cannot control, but you can usually control how you deal with it. You can complain about the snow or you can buy some tire chains & a damn snowblower.

    Anyone looking at the data should be clearly aware the impact WC to EC travel has (any business roadwarrior could tell you) so failing adjust to the reality after that is just stubborn or stupid.

    As for the reality that these are men with families? Football season is one season and EC road trips that would require this type of adjustment would constitute less then 30% of the games played. There are expectations to play the game, being away from family for a few days in a stretch shouldn't be a massive ask. And it isn't as if there could not be arrangements made to transport family members back and forth to compensate.

    They need to buy up some land in the midpoint of the EC, and put together a practice facility there, or even better, outfit a few barges with playing surfaces and equipment - making it easier to move nearer the cities they are scheduled to play in. Since this is something that affects other west coast teams, it is likely something you could get built as a joint resource (say for the division teams).
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2894
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:53 pm
  • gaucho wrote:Given the physiological detriments (less back strength, reduced knee flexibility, etc) associated with 10am starts, I'd be shocked if there wasn't any correlation to injury. Alas, the league cited HIPAA violations when SF requested the injury data. From my prior work in healthcare, I know the HIPAA excuse is BS. The league promised it's own study on injuries... I'm not going to hold my breath.

    Yeah, you'll most likely turn blue and pass out before they give that up.





    TwistedHusky wrote:At some point, you need to adjust.

    Playing 10am games on the EC puts the WC team at a competitive disadvantage. Enough data to make that a reasonable takeaway. So what to do about it?

    Those are the rules. Life isn't fair.

    What you can do is work with what you can control.

    So what can you control? You have a week from the last game to get to the next field. That means you should be traveling immediately to give yourself time to adjust to both the time zone and enervating affects of air travel (there is a mountain of evidence about how traveling for long distance can sap the body of strength for up to 48 hours).

    I get that the facilities have specific equipment it is hard to duplicate, which make preparation more difficult. But that is a business expense, most of the equipment out there is able to be found in other locations and frankly most of the real valuable items (information) are easily transferred to any location needed.

    So, continuing to travel back and forth between the games when you KNOW you need to return is fundamentally stupid. In the example of Carolina, the team never should have come back to Seattle at all but instead went right to Carolina from Minny. Now to where? Pretty clear that the team needs in invest in an EC practice facilty, a cost that can be shared with other WC teams that might also need to use it for their road trips.

    There are plenty of things about there you cannot control, but you can usually control how you deal with it. You can complain about the snow or you can buy some tire chains & a damn snowblower.

    Anyone looking at the data should be clearly aware the impact WC to EC travel has (any business roadwarrior could tell you) so failing adjust to the reality after that is just stubborn or stupid.

    As for the reality that these are men with families? Football season is one season and EC road trips that would require this type of adjustment would constitute less then 30% of the games played. There are expectations to play the game, being away from family for a few days in a stretch shouldn't be a massive ask. And it isn't as if there could not be arrangements made to transport family members back and forth to compensate.

    They need to buy up some land in the midpoint of the EC, and put together a practice facility there, or even better, outfit a few barges with playing surfaces and equipment - making it easier to move nearer the cities they are scheduled to play in. Since this is something that affects other west coast teams, it is likely something you could get built as a joint resource (say for the division teams).

    This is a very good post and I agree wholeheartedly. I'd have been very willing to do the things you suggest if I'm Pete this playoff season. I believe he made a mistake not doing so myself i.e. after the Minny game not going directly to Charlotte or somewhere nearby on east coast time. HOWEVER, I feel very strongly it is minimizing the true issue here which is that east coast teams have been given a scheduling break as it concerns travelling out here and it's time for the NFL to treat west coast teams equally. Life may not be fair Twisted, but the NFL can be if they so choose.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:36 am
  • The Ram move back to L.A. ought to ease the burden a little. I guarantee the Seahawks wouldn't have lost 3/4 to them if they had played in a West Coast or Mountain Time city. Remember the only road game in which they beat the Rams was the Monday Nighter in 2013.

    Obviously 10 a.m. games aren't going away, but the league should try to limit the number a team plays to three or four. It's not that hard to move one or at most two games to 4:05/25 (or to Monday or Sunday night...or Thursday) and it's not going to destroy the ratings for CBS or Fox.
    fire_marshall_bill
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 101
    Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:03 pm
    Location: AZ


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:43 am
  • The Seahawks have to lead the NFL in travel miles almost every year...maybe Miami is close if they play a western division. That has to wear on a team a little.

    The NFC and AFC East teams often just have to board a bus to play each other (Redskins/Eagles, Eagles/Giants, Redskins/Giants, Patsies/Jets).
    fire_marshall_bill
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 101
    Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:03 pm
    Location: AZ


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:56 pm
  • gaucho wrote:
    firebee wrote:After looking at that paper and seeing the statistical differences... I'm not opposed to 10 AM Starts, but the NFL should never make a west coast team play 10 AM games back to back... not during the regular season and especially not during the playoffs. It's clearly a disadvantage to West Coast teams and it's a disadvantage East Coast teams don't have to face.


    Thanks for reading!

    I'm surprised that you're okay with 10am games at all. Maybe I didn't do a good job of showing how much of a disadvantage they imply.

    One way you can look at it is to note that the 3 point disadvantage that they cost the road team is more than the loss of any single non-QB player in the league. The difference between Lynch and whoever you guys started in minnesota was 1.5 or 2 points. That's accounting for the fact that it was going to be sub 0 in a defensively dominated game, with Rawls out for the year.

    Imagine if the league said that Houston had to play half of their road games without JJ watt. That would be less unfair than the current regular season scheduling situation.

    And all of that is ignoring injuries. I don't have injury data, but would be shocked if players weren't at greater risk for injuries in these games.


    Baby steps Gaucho... Baby steps... The likelihood of getting the NFL to ban 10 AM Starts on the East Coast for West Coast teams is almost nil. It's just not going to happen. However, getting the NFL to ban back to back 10 AM Starts for West Coast teams is a very very reasonable scheduling request that the NFL shouldn't have any problem figuring out. You could probably even make a request to limit 10 AM starts for west coast teams to once a month during the regular season, but we're not going to get 10 AM Starts for West coast teams completely banned from the schedule. Just being realistic. It's not going to happen.
    firebee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1679
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:43 pm
    Location: Florence, Oregon


Re: Back to back 10am games
Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:38 pm
  • I just don't get it... There are 7-10 early games each week and 2-4 late games. What would make it soooooooo bad to move a game with a West coast team to a later start? I understand the "national" game being a late one, but people would rather watch their own team rather than one picked by a network exec. With Sunday Ticket and sports bars showing EVERY game anyway, why not get the game times to where the beer sponsors paying for advertising time can actually sell their product during the games they are advertising?

    NO MORE 10AM GAMES... for the beer advertisers.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5414
    Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm


Re: Back to back 10am games
Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:14 pm
  • Hi Again Guys -
    Football Outsiders promised me an article on the "morning body clock" issue when the schedule comes out later this month (hopefully they keep their promise). Anyways, below is a draft of what I'm going to send. I figured I'd post it here to see if anyone has any feedback, and also to give a shoutout to AgentDib whose statistic I used.

    http://webpages.sou.edu/~stonelakb/math/pdf/Schedule%20Release.pdf
    gaucho
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 32
    Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:49 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information