Bennett says what we fans have been saying re: Cary Williams

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I didn't see this on the board so if it is please feel free to delete this

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/foo...DE-Michael-Bennett-Losing-CB-Cary-6761542.php

"Losing Cary and adding J. Lane and D. Shead in the game has really turned our season around a lot," Bennett told Vrentas. "No offense to Cary, but these guys have been in the defense a lot longer than Cary, so they kind of understand where the holes are and what you have to do, and I think they have done a great job of taking us back to that level where we are used to playing."

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Earl was constantly on Cary's side as well because he just couldn't trust him. The players knew just as well that Williams simply wasn't good enough.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice find :th2thumbs:

here's the original quote, halfway down the page:

"The most intriguing matchup of the weekend"

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/14/chip ... al-preview

What I really respect about MB is, he's an elite player, and doesn't need to bow to anyone's opinion, yet he shows respect for a former Seahawk player, even though that player made some big mistakes. Class Act all the way.

kf3339

Reaction score
Too bad PC and KR didn't see this before we lost so many games the first of this year. But at least they corrected their mistake and we now have a much stronger secondary that Cam will see on Sunday.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
kf3339":1vfjhkld said:
Too bad PC and KR didn't see this before we lost so many games the first of this year. But at least they corrected their mistake and we now have a much stronger secondary that Cam will see on Sunday.

That is probably the biggest and best quality of PC and JS: their willingness to fix a mistake. No GM or HC bats 1,000. But most won't admit their mistake and cut their losses. PC and JS have an innate ability to swallow their pride and admit they made a mistake and move on from it.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kf3339":1vcqr3cv said:
They were giving Williams a chance to learn it under fire. They gave him a chance, can't say that didn't.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I particularly like the part about understanding where the holes are. That's really key for a cover 3 corner and that's more about understanding where your teammates are in that communication because they may have to adjust as well.

Cary isn't horrible in man coverage (not great either). He just didn't incorporate well into our rather variable zones and zone handoffs. That just takes a lot of familiarity, communication....just general incorporation.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":12dwsxd6 said:
kf3339":12dwsxd6 said:
They were giving Williams a chance to learn it under fire. They gave him a chance, can't say that didn't.

For sure. There's a balance point between letting a guy learn from his mistakes, and knowing when to cut your losses. They gave him a fair shake, and I think waiting until Lane was healthy was the best choice.

What I feel they waited too long for was adjusting the offense to where it facilitates quick throws. That was something they neglected for years. Easy to look the other way when you D' consistently dominates, and Russ pulls a rabbit out of his a** to save the day, when needed. I'd go as far to say that not even the 'alarming sack rate' would have caused a change by itself. Had we not taken all of those losses, the offense would not have changed one bit. That's on Pete more than anyone else.

irocdave

Reaction score
This isn't the thread for it, but I want to plant the seed for the offseason. What is Bennet worth to this team? I mean, worth as in dollars. He has outplayed his contract again, Kam has not. Hawks will be in a really tough spot this coming offseason, MB deserves a pay raise, Kam should be docked but that's not how it will play out.

MB has been earned every penny this year and is a game changer. Hope he does his thing this Sunday. Then rides a bike, or better yet, Cams tricycle.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
irocdave":1fock0ko said:
This isn't the thread for it, but I want to plant the seed for the offseason. What is Bennet worth to this team? I mean, worth as in dollars. He has outplayed his contract again, Kam has not. Hawks will be in a really tough spot this coming offseason, MB deserves a pay raise, Kam should be docked but that's not how it will play out.

MB has been earned every penny this year and is a game changer. Hope he does his thing this Sunday. Then rides a bike, or better yet, Cams tricycle.
Damn, I'd say a truckload of money because he's the rarest of the rare, an elite pass rusher that can play DE/DT he can play inside or outside at the same level of effectiveness.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No, Bennett said that Cary's lack of familiarity with the system made him a liability. Fans just said that he sucked.

mikeak

Reaction score
What Bennet and others probably thought was " that was millions that could have been given to Kam and myself" instead wasted

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":wlrwwemv said:
Tech Worlds":wlrwwemv said:
kf3339":wlrwwemv said:

For sure. There's a balance point between letting a guy learn from his mistakes, and knowing when to cut your losses. They gave him a fair shake, and I think waiting until Lane was healthy was the best choice.

What I feel they waited too long for was adjusting the offense to where it facilitates quick throws. That was something they neglected for years. Easy to look the other way when you D' consistently dominates, and Russ pulls a rabbit out of his a** to save the day, when needed. I'd go as far to say that not even the 'alarming sack rate' would have caused a change by itself. Had we not taken all of those losses, the offense would not have changed one bit. That's on Pete more than anyone else.

I think that section above NAILS a lot of things. Bevell calls such shitty games because that's what PETE asks of him.
I too believe it's PETE who had to change, and has changed, this year. We've been waiting for 3 years to have the training wheels taken off for Wilson. Russell is, and always has been, a gunslinger QB. Now we finally get to see it at the NFL level on a consistent basis. Agreed, LOSING is what it took to get Pete to change. The game has changed, rules tweaks, and Pete was overdue to change as well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hvlmq0b said:
No, Bennett said that Cary's lack of familiarity with the system made him a liability. Fans just said that he sucked.
3 teams have thought he lacked enough familiarity with the system to let him get gone. 4, seeing as the Skins prolly won't keep him either.

I got the feeling that not only did he struggle with picking up the system, he seemed a bit of an outsider to the LOB. Which may have exacerbated the on field issues.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":141o2xwt said:
MontanaHawk05":141o2xwt said:
3 teams have thought he lacked enough familiarity with the system to let him get gone. 4, seeing as the Skins prolly won't keep him either.

I got the feeling that not only did he struggle with picking up the system, he seemed a bit of an outsider to the LOB. Which may have exacerbated the on field issues.

I'm not saying he's good. I'm saying we should bring a higher level of dialogue than "durrrr, he's toast".