FG Analysis of Kam's game against MIN

Laloosh

Reaction score
All in all, Kam allowed 68 yards in coverage on a day when Minnesota only gained 183 total yards. 43 of those came on the last drive of the game and put the Vikings in a position to kick a field goal to win the game. While there are several mitigating factors, the cold and his return from injury, for Kam’s poor play, the bottom line is that Seattle needs Kam to return to form against Carolina and beyond if they’re able to advance in the playoffs. Especially with Kelcie McCray, who played well in Kam’s absence, as a strong alternative.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... l-playoffs

jkitsune

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that here - goes to show it really wasn't just a questionable penalty and 'one near-miss' in this game. He has struggled all year, and IMO is the defensive player most likely to cost us this coming week.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jkitsune":18ssej0c said:
Thanks for posting that here - goes to show it really wasn't just a questionable penalty and 'one near-miss' in this game. He has struggled all year, and IMO is the defensive player most likely to cost us this coming week.
Agree all the way around. Too worried about the $.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
A little harsh.

He made two game-saving stops in this game.

Obviously, the forced fumble on AP.

But also watch AP's last run just before the missed FG. Kam comes all the way from the strong-side to stop AP from extending for the 1st down. Underrated but crucial play. I think MN wins if AP converts -- they can line up off the left hash, get closer, and milk the rest of the clock.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
There's a reason that I often post these and do not provide my own thoughts. They're usually not well informed and likely fly in the face of reality. Just thought it was an interesting read.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Good god.

The second play where "McKinnon beats Kam again" he has the flat. He's not supposed to trail that guy. That is literally Earl's man, who makes the play because Kam slowed him a little.

The missed tackle is crap. I saw everyone on the team slide off a guy at least once. It was our worst tackling game I've seen, but luckily was also our best swarming game I've seen. We had layers upon layers of tacklers.

I didn't remember the one where he trailed the guy across the field though. That's a real tough one when you give up inside leverage off the snap in a trail position.

Overall, this whole Kam thing is horse $%^%. We never even get a lead without him.

kearly

Reaction score
The big play Kam gave up to Rudolph happened because Kam correctly believed it was a play worth gambling on. If Kam had just gone for the tackle the Vikings still would have been in the fringes of fieldgoal range with over a minute to work with. He tried to go for the pass breakup / pick and came up short. I totally understand why he gambled.

irocdave

Reaction score
No question Kam has been rusty this year, but he has also made a couple of huge plays. Covering good tight ends still seems to be a problem so the jury will have to wait to see how Greg Olsen does this weekend to determine how Kam performed, when he played, this year. If Kam cant cover the tight end this weekend this will be the last game of the 2015 season for the Hawks. Don't count him out just yet though, he is a play maker.

It will be interesting to see how things play out for him next year. Going to be hard to ask for more money after his production so far. That's a discussion for later though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He had one other really bad game this year, IIRC. And bounced back with his best showing of the year vs Detroit.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
He is coming off an injury after several weeks off. Cut the guy some slack. The beginning of the season he came in rusty but I also believe Williams was a pox on our defense. This affected everyone around him. Earl probably most of all. I don't think Kam is having a All Pro year but not what many are saying here. What other safety would you rather have right now?

idahohawk

Reaction score
Read that this afternoon. I'm wondering if the injury compounded by the cold contributed to some of that. I mean we are pretty spoiled (point the finger at myself) and putting any player under the microscope like that will show missed plays and assignments. However, the TE has been our Achilles heel all year and that gives cause for concern. I trust Pete will make adjustments and maybe even mix in McCray?

I think Kam can be much more effective if the front 7 stuffs the run effectively. I know it sounds obvious like "this game will be won/lost in the trenches," but the LOB plays at its best when that DL is generating pressure and then can wreak havoc with WRs and TEs.

Laloosh":3ms3uw0u said:
All in all, Kam allowed 68 yards in coverage on a day when Minnesota only gained 183 total yards. 43 of those came on the last drive of the game and put the Vikings in a position to kick a field goal to win the game. While there are several mitigating factors, the cold and his return from injury, for Kam’s poor play, the bottom line is that Seattle needs Kam to return to form against Carolina and beyond if they’re able to advance in the playoffs. Especially with Kelcie McCray, who played well in Kam’s absence, as a strong alternative.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... l-playoffs

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
irocdave":1btss9ra said:
No question Kam has been rusty this year, but he has also made a couple of huge plays. Covering good tight ends still seems to be a problem so the jury will have to wait to see how Greg Olsen does this weekend to determine how Kam performed, when he played, this year. If Kam cant cover the tight end this weekend this will be the last game of the 2015 season for the Hawks. Don't count him out just yet though, he is a play maker.

It will be interesting to see how things play out for him next year. Going to be hard to ask for more money after his production so far. That's a discussion for later though.

One has to be wearing "blinders" not to observe that Kam is in the "sunset years" of his NFL career. That said, I feel that he has two productive years left in his NFL life.....if he can play uninjured. The real question will be, "What is he worth over this time frame of diminished output?"

King Dog

Reaction score
I was kind of wondering before the game if we would see McCray in there on 3rd downs.