Comparative analysis of teams with easy strength of schedule

12thbrah

Reaction score
FACT: Newton has yet to play well in any meaningful game outside of the regular season.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":20r0fc6g said:
12thbrah":20r0fc6g said:
FACT: Newton has yet to play well in any meaningful game outside of the regular season.

Playoffs last year?

You mean the game where Cam rode the back of his defense to an 11 point win over an anemic, Lindley led Cardinals team that turned the ball over 3 times?

Cam threw for 198, rushed for 35 and had an int and a fumble lost. The defense held Zona to 12 yards in the second half and a total of 78 yards on the night.

Here is hoping for a similar performance from Cam this weekend.

- bad

carolinablue

Reaction score
Interesting read but without enough context for me to really draw any meaningful conclusions. Of all those teams he listed how many had scored the most points that year like the Panthers? How many of those teams had one of the top offenses and one of the top defenses?

He wrote another article about Cam's stats playing against top defenses. I'd like to see a similar article regarding Russell Wilson. I mean I already know that Cam already won all those games against those top defenses, but how about Russell?

Polaris

Reaction score
Well w/r/t WIlson against top defenses, you can start with how Wilson handled the 49ners the last three years and the 49ners were definitely a top notch defense. Yes they stink this year, but that's very recent. Let's also not forget that Wilson is what? 5-1 against your panthers who also have a top notch defense? Also Wilson is 4-2 against Arizona under Arians and that's another top notch defense.

Seems to me that Wilson does pretty well against top notch defenses (except the Rams for some reason).

carolinablue

Reaction score
Polaris":xsj9s40u said:
Well w/r/t WIlson against top defenses, you can start with how Wilson handled the 49ners the last three years and the 49ners were definitely a top notch defense. Yes they stink this year, but that's very recent. Let's also not forget that Wilson is what? 5-1 against your panthers who also have a top notch defense? Also Wilson is 4-2 against Arizona under Arians and that's another top notch defense.

Seems to me that Wilson does pretty well against top notch defenses (except the Rams for some reason).
Was more curious about his numbers this year. I haven't really checked into the ranks of opposing defenses that you guys played all year. I know Arizona is pretty good though and you scored a bunch there but outside that I'd have to look it up and I guess I'm to lazy.

Polaris

Reaction score
carolinablue":1ir8bgbq said:
Polaris":1ir8bgbq said:

Was more curious about his numbers this year. I haven't really checked into the ranks of opposing defenses that you guys played all year. I know Arizona is pretty good though and you scored a bunch there but outside that I'd have to look it up and I guess I'm to lazy.

Unfortunately for Seattle, Seattle got the best defenses when they were playing their worst early in the season. However, Minny's defense and of course Arizona's defense (talking about this year only) are nothing to sneeze at. However, if you want to go down that route then look at DVOA (yes I know you Panthers fans hate DVOA but it is what it is). It accounts for all this...and Carolina is hardly bad in DVOA. It's just that DVOA shines a very hard and harsh light what the rest of the NFL strongly suspects: Seattle had bad luck (schedule, fumble and penalty) all year and got stuck with a worse record than their level of play (esp now) would normally indicate, and Carolina blessed with good luck (esp schedule, but also to some degree penalty and fumble) has a record that is far better than their level of play would normally indicate. It was Nate Silver of 538 iirc that blasted Carolina for being the worst (then) 12-0 team in NFL history. There's a reason for this.

carolinablue

Reaction score
Polaris":mje7uo4q said:
Unfortunately for Seattle, Seattle got the best defenses when they were playing their worst early in the season. However, Minny's defense and of course Arizona's defense (talking about this year only) are nothing to sneeze at. However, if you want to go down that route then look at DVOA (yes I know you Panthers fans hate DVOA but it is what it is). It accounts for all this...and Carolina is hardly bad in DVOA. It's just that DVOA shines a very hard and harsh light what the rest of the NFL strongly suspects: Seattle had bad luck (schedule, fumble and penalty) all year and got stuck with a worse record than their level of play (esp now) would normally indicate, and Carolina blessed with good luck (esp schedule, but also to some degree penalty and fumble) has a record that is far better than their level of play would normally indicate. It was Nate Silver of 538 iirc that blasted Carolina for being the worst (then) 12-0 team in NFL history. There's a reason for this.
So basically Carolina did better than they should have done and Seattle did worse than they should have done (according to this DVOA stat you keep bringing up). If that's what you're telling me than I guess I'm having a hard time in seeing how this reflects poorly on Carolina. It should be a better thing to overachieve than underachieve. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Polaris

Reaction score
carolinablue":1mnbq3gr said:
Polaris":1mnbq3gr said:
So basically Carolina did better than they should have done and Seattle did worse than they should have done (according to this DVOA stat you keep bringing up). If that's what you're telling me than I guess I'm having a hard time in seeing how this reflects poorly on Carolina. It should be a better thing to overachieve than underachieve. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

No, I am saying why I and a lot of people not just here but nationwide aren't as impressed by your 15-1 record as you (and many other Panther fans) might like. Sure you can only play what the NFL puts in front of you, but cross team comparisons can be made and while not perfect they are indicative, and the Panthers by EVERY advanced statistical measure simply don't measure up to their bottom line record. It is what it is. Frankly Seattle is about the worst possible matchup that Carolina could have drawn for the divisional round. That's not fair for the #1 seed, but again it is what it is. You can blame the NFL for the disparity because (fluke of scheduling) the three weakest divisions all played each other which grossly distorted the records across the entire NFL. Ask the Texans and Washington franchise.

carolinablue

Reaction score
So you're not impressed with the 15-1 record because in reality we shouldn't be 15-1? If you say we don't measure up to our record that then implies that we exceeded any reasonable expectation. I would say that's a good thing, no?

Polaris

Reaction score
carolinablue":1oww0fre said:
So you're not impressed with the 15-1 record because in reality we shouldn't be 15-1? If you say we don't measure up to our record that then implies that we exceeded any reasonable expectation. I would say that's a good thing, no?

No, it means what the Atlanta or Texan records meant a couple of years ago. You smashed up a bunch of tin cans. Good for you. You're supposed to do that; no one is saying you haven't earned your seed. However, don't expect people outside the South East to be all that impressed.

jawilljr

Reaction score
carolinablue":1v8okmzl said:
Polaris":1v8okmzl said:

Did you know that since the NFL went to a 16 game season, there have been 5 other teams that went to 15-1?

Of those only 2 have went to the Super Bowl and won. The other 3 lost in the playoffs. One team was one and done, The Green Bay Packers in 2011, they lost to the Giants, who were 9-7.

Go HAWKS!!!

Laloosh

Reaction score
Polaris":228oc42p said:
carolinablue":228oc42p said:

No, it means what the Atlanta or Texan records meant a couple of years ago. You smashed up a bunch of tin cans. Good for you. You're supposed to do that; no one is saying you haven't earned your seed. However, don't expect people outside the South East to be all that impressed.
Unlike that Atlanta team, CAR seems to have the defense and run game to play in January imo.

carolinablue

Reaction score
Polaris":18qbsb4r said:
carolinablue":18qbsb4r said:

I don't know man, during the last month your team beat the Browns, Ravens and lost to the Rams. None of those teams are very good. And you lost to the Rams earlier in the year too. We may not have played as many good teams as you have but the good teams we did play we beat. I don't think I agree with the notion that losing to most of the good teams is better than winning against the bad ones.

carolinablue

Reaction score
jawilljr":r8rvrpc9 said:
carolinablue":r8rvrpc9 said:
Polaris":r8rvrpc9 said:

Did you know that since the NFL went to a 16 game season, there have been 5 other teams that went to 15-1?

Of those only 2 have went to the Super Bowl and won. The other 3 lost in the playoffs. One team was one and done, The Green Bay Packers in 2011, they lost to the Giants, who were 9-7.

Go HAWKS!!!
Sure I'm aware of that. I don't think I've ever guaranteed us winning the Super Bowl this year. Or even guaranteeing we win this weekend.

Polaris

Reaction score
carolinablue":c3ujnvyl said:
Polaris":c3ujnvyl said:
carolinablue":c3ujnvyl said:

I don't know man, during the last month your team beat the Browns, Ravens and lost to the Rams. None of those teams are very good. And you lost to the Rams earlier in the year too. We may not have played as many good teams as you have but the good teams we did play we beat. I don't think I agree with the notion that losing to most of the good teams is better than winning against the bad ones.

Now you're cherry picking. Don't forget that win on the road against Arizona that is even more recent. Also if you want to point to the Rams then I get to point to Atlanta. You should know better than anyone that some divisional teams have the number of some others regardless of record or other circumstances. The Rams are that way with Seattle and have been since Fischer became the coach there. I know that historically you've had your own issues with the Saints. Let's also not forget that in addition to Arizona, Seattle in that same period beat a pretty good Minny team ON THE ROAD not once but twice and this last time in truly appalling conditions. I'd also say the Pittsburgh win was a good quality win as well.

jawilljr

Reaction score
carolinablue":2p73c81v said:
jawilljr":2p73c81v said:
carolinablue":2p73c81v said:
Polaris":2p73c81v said:

Go HAWKS!!!
Sure I'm aware of that. I don't think I've ever guaranteed us winning the Super Bowl this year. Or even guaranteeing we win this weekend.

You won't win this weekend!!

Go HAWKS!!