How I think this game will play out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Panthers are our toughest matchup of the year. Even if we win this game, this team, both in style and personnel, is our toughest test.

On defense, they love to crowd the line and come from anywhere with the blitz. They want to make the pass play 2.5 seconds or less, and they use pressure and a secondary thinking routes that take 2.5 seconds to create mistakes. Passing from tight formations and sets only plays into their defense's hands if the QB is doing a traditional dropback and see who is open type play, if you are going to pass from a run set vs these guys you better have a very specific plan for one route that will beat pressure, there won't be time to find a second from the pocket.
I expect a lot of spread looks vs the Panthers. Running from the spread is not easy vs this team, their big guys up front love to get into a double team and just grab both guys on the double team to free up the backers to be in the gaps. The backrs get all the glory, but up front is where the Panthers do the dirty work to be good run stoppers.
Spread offense will force the Panthers to get away from what they want to do to confuse the QB. I'm not saying they can't defend it, but spread will iso our two superior slot WRs on their weakest links, and if we want to run from the spread later in the game, getting Kuechly to shade toward those slot WRs is vital.
Spread looks will also prevent the corners from camping on routes. And if the Panthers are silly enough to insist on blitzing vs a spread offense, Russ has made his hay vs that the last 8 weeks.

I think another defensive weakness the Panthers have is over pursuit. Especially in big games vs physical teams, they show a tendency to be so intent on delivering physicality that they over pursue fakes.

On Offense, the Panthers are built to give us fits. Cam may have poor mechanics, but they don't bite him in the ass near as often as they should, the guy is just plain country strong. He makes throws other QBs can't make while stepping backwards. He can put an 18 yard out on a rope with bad mechanics. I don't think he is a great touch passer on the short stuff, his delivery is kind of slow enough for the D to pick up where he is looking, but him being a dual threat with his legs pretty much makes up for that. Cary Williams isn't the guy handing out engraved invitations to Ginn now, so they may not complete the bombs to him down that left sideline, but they will try to.

And pass rushing Cam is difficult, teams have to ask if they spy or if they mush rush the middle and only send one guy right at him. It has to be a dozen times this year I saw a very good move by a DE to beat the LT to the inside and Kam just takes off and runs for a big gain. In fact, the way Cam keeps track of a pass rusher on his blind side fells just like the way Russ keeps track of the DE on a zone read run. If the rusher goes inside, Cam goes outside. If the rusher goes outside, Cam steps up inside his rush. And then runs or throws. It looks like years of running the zone read run game is just instinctively a part of his passing game.

And the worst matchup for us, tight end. it will be up to Earl to stop some of the seam routes. We like to run hook zones with LBs and Kam, and there is a hole in our cover 3 between that hook zone and Earl's area in the middle of the field, and Cam is very good at that pass. I expect them to run some all go, 4 go stuff to get Earl to shade the slot guy running to the deep middle to free up that TE route.

And vs the run game, this team more than any other can get the 100 yd rusher no one has been able to get until now. Having to keep an eye on Cam keeping it and going around the corner keeps LBs from jumping gaps, and gives their RB an added chance to get into the 2nd level.

All in all, I can see why the oddsmakers are giving them the home field advantage and not much else. It is not difficult to see where each team can take advantage of the other, but when you add them up both teams end up feeling very squarely matched.

My biggest wild card for this game is how Seattle responds to Carolina's attempt to make this game almost all about physicality. Carolina seems to crave the baddest dog on the block label, and barking about being the baddest dog all game long. If Seattle can ignore that noise and just play hardnosed ball, it will turn that tendency of Carolina's into a negative. Three years ago that tendency cost Carolina the SF game, IMO, and I don't see that it has really diminished since. They are definitely a better team than 3 years ago, but they want to announce their presence so badly that it can be used against them.

In my opinion, Barring the odd, like severe wind and rain, I think this will be a game full of big plays for both teams. Carolina will not dink and dunk us to death, Cam will give Earl and Co looks at real NFL passes. We might even get our hands on a couple. Carolina will also exploit the deep holes in cover 3. We will use spread to minimize their ability to disguise the rush, and an inside out pass attack that forces them to devote resources to stopping our slot WRs, mixed with misdirection deep shots and a run game more about keeping them honest than trying to punish them with the run.

The homer in me says this game is one we win. The logical in me says this is an overtime game that goes either way.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Nice write up, but I don't think this game is going to be close. The Seahawks are much better than they were last time these teams played and Carolina is worse. Seahawks win by three scores.

Largent80

Reaction score
Brilliantly written Sir Mojo.

Keeping that seam covered is so obvious it screams off the page. And us taking advantage of their shortcomings in the secondary is a MUST.

Largent80

Reaction score
If we get the pressure on Newt like we didn't in October, I think the game easily gets won by Seattle.

Stat Newton NFL Average
QB rating from a clean pocket 112.8 98.2
QB rating when under pressure 66.9 71.5
This hasn’t been much of an issue this season, in part because of how good Newton has been throwing the ball overall, and in part because of how effective he is as a scrambler and on designed runs – but most of all because the Panthers have been very good in pass protection.

That was the case in Carolina’s Week 6 win over the Seahawks, during which only one offensive line starter earned a negative pass-protection grade: right tackle Mike Remmers. But the Seahawks’ pass rush has been very disruptive as of late, with defensive ends Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril both ranking in the top five of quarterback pressures at the position this season, and rookie Frank Clark emerging as an effective third option. And not only could they again find success coming off the edge against Remmers, but Carolina left tackle Michael Oher has earned poor pass-blocking grades in two of his last three games.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Thank you for writing this - so refreshing to read actual football analysis.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on this since Sunday, and honestly I don't know what I think.

If Pete lets the offense play loose and fast like we did in Arizona? Then we win by 14. If Pete goes back to the run the clock down to 2 seconds every play tentative ball control safe trust the defense that lost us 5 of 6 games? Then we lose.

And that's it, I'm scared to death that the Minnesota games was foreshadowing conservative Pete's approach to the playoffs. I HOPE not, that it was just the gameplan for the cold.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Great write up.

Agree on just about everything, except with the San Fran playoff game from a couple years ago, Rivera admitted this season that he lost his cool on the sideline and it filtered down to the players on the field. There were some egregious calls by the refs that game in the 49ers favor, and along with the "new kid on the block" mentality the Panthers had equaled the entire defense losing their cool multiple times.

Rivera made a point about that game just a couple of weeks ago. I don't expect this team to lose their cool like they did a couple years ago.

I think this game will come down to whether or not Carolina can prevent one or two big plays from Wilson. In Seattle this season, the Panthers were able to overcome the ridiculous flea flicker catch by Lockett. When a play breaks down Sunday, it'll be key for Carolina to keep Wilson in the pocket, which is much easier said than done obviously.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Frank Clark didn't play week 6 either... Damn, it's looking even better for the Seahawks. Adding Wagner, Lane, and Clark while subtracting Williams should be enough to hold a 20-7 lead and with the offense playing better than ever, that lead should be even bigger.

RussB

Reaction score
We need to cover very good and i think we will do that . Watch the second atlanta game , the main guys cam passes to were shut down alot and he started to force passes and makes mistakes. And i think the LOB is more than capable of doing that.

Some pressure and lockdown coverage and i think we win.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ax9g3v9 said:
I've been going back and forth on this since Sunday, and honestly I don't know what I think.

If Pete lets the offense play loose and fast like we did in Arizona? Then we win by 14. If Pete goes back to the run the clock down to 2 seconds every play tentative ball control safe trust the defense that lost us 5 of 6 games? Then we lose.

And that's it, I'm scared to death that the Minnesota games was foreshadowing conservative Pete's approach to the playoffs. I HOPE not, that it was just the gameplan for the cold.
I think that was a combination of things. Personnel groups were slow onto the field, and off. Everything was in slow motion. I don't expect any of that. Shortening the game was the objective of both teams Sunday.

I think that the Panthers desire to show blitz, whether they run it or not, is so plainly obvious that no OC will miss it. If we have 11 or 21 personnel, they will put an extra guy or 2 in the box, like all teams do. The difference is, they are good at sniffing out a pass from those formations, and of those 7 or 8 guys, 3 or 6 might be coming. And they will do a lot of presnap movement with that crowd in the box, trying to confuse the QB.
It took our coaching staff half a season to get away from some, though not all, of thier love of plays that pass from those formations. Those plays in particular put the Panthers in the pass rushing formations they seem to be best at, which is why I focused on how a spread look would get them out of their comfort zone. Carolina was very effective pass rushing us, as were all teams, from our play action looks for the first half of the season. Our Qb also got the memo on not holding the ball so long. I would not at all be surprised to see us in a very spread out offense for most of the game.
One of the most difficult things in football for coaches is for the winning staff to put aside how they won the last game and instead play the team they now see footage of. The Panthers have that task. If they have the same defensive strategy they had in week 6, they will get roasted, our current offense is so different. The added risk for us is that a more timing based spread attack is a bit tougher to execute, and just a bit outside our coaching staff's long entrenched desire to control the clock with a run game first and foremost. Which, as you point out, does get magnified in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RussB":3ty7ir9j said:
We need to cover very good and i think we will do that . Watch the second atlanta game , the main guys cam passes to were shut down alot and he started to force passes and makes mistakes. And i think the LOB is more than capable of doing that.

Some pressure and lockdown coverage and i think we win.

That is actually a good game to rewatch, seeing as the coaching staff wants to use Seattle defensive principles.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Very good write up in my opinion.

My 2 cents for what its worth:

Whenever I watch Carolina - Seattle games, I'm always frustrated by our lack of success running the ball (relatively I mean compared to the normal yardage we stack up), even with Lynch. Last 3 years below:

2015 - 115 yards on 26 carries (4.4 ypc)
2015 playoffs - 100 yards on 28 carries (3.6 ypc)
2014 - 119 yards on 26 carries (4.6 ypc)

This is obviously the strength of the Carolina defense, in particular with two outstanding middle backers in Keuchly and Davis. It has been Strength vs Strength. Maybe this year will see us divert from this and attack more through the air.

So even with Lynch, I don't really see Seattle having much success with the run or the read option stuff, but enough to keep the Panthers honest.

Weather is due to be much nicer than last weekend, around 45-48 with 10 mph winds and cloud (30% chance of rain). This combined with Willson back from concussion with possible addition of Lynch, there is no reason to think our passing game will suffer to as large a degree as the St Louis or Minnesota (playoff) games. I respect the pass rush that Carolina have but think they will have to be slightly more conservative due to weaknesses in their secondary, partly due to injury. Norman has had a career year but I'm not sure he is really a lockdown corner...but still Wilson will have success going to the slot and the other side of the field. I can see a big few gains for Willson and Cooper at TE. All Hawk fans are keeping fingers crossed that Bevell focuses on quick passing plays so we avoid the long sacks and hits on Russell.

In terms of our defense, it comes down to Cam exploiting the big hole in the cover 3 in front of Earl. Our run defense is so impressive, so can't foresee us giving up more than 3.5 yards per carry, but it is those 3rd down long gains that Cam can create with his feet which is the threat in the run game. I have concerns our pass defense can be had occasionally due to the vanilla nature of our scheme. This was evident even in the game against the Ravens when Klausen moved the ball quite comfortably down the field.

Special teams I think is pretty equal although I would always prefer to have Haush money and think we do have a slight edge in the return game with No E. His top end speed isn't incredible, but his vision and balance is.

In the end, doing my best to put homerism to one side, I think Cam doesn't have much success until the 4th quarter again. I believe our offense will move the better and control the TOP to an extent more similar to our wins of late, than the narrow win on Sunday. This should mean our lead is good enough that even a late Carolina rally isn't enough.

Hawks take it 24-20 :)

hawk45

Reaction score
This feels like a game where all signs point to spreading them out right from the start, where that offense we have seen late in the season from the Hawks will result in huge games from Lockett and Baldwin working against backups.

Which is why the thing I am most nervous about, like Sgt, is that we will come out in ball control mode with play action being a staple. I would like to think there is no way our coaches would play right into their hands like that, but it has me chewing my fingernails.

Especially if Lynch plays.

If we do that the game will be a repeat of every other game vs the Panthers where our O will be lucky to break 13, and that isn't going to get it done.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":26ic29j3 said:
This feels like a game where all signs point to spreading them out right from the start, where that offense we have seen late in the season from the Hawks will result in huge games from Lockett and Baldwin working against backups.

Which is why the thing I am most nervous about, like Sgt, is that we will come out in ball control mode with play action being a staple. I would like to think there is no way our coaches would play right into their hands like that, but it has me chewing my fingernails.

If we do that the game will be a repeat of every other game vs the Panthers where our O will be lucky to break 13, and that isn't going to get it done.

Man I hope you're right............cause if I see tentative Russell taking too long to change plays running the clock down and our offense looking confused like last week for 3 quarters I'm going to throw a brick through my TV.

It's F'ing go time Pete, Darrell and Russell! Take the damn gloves off and lets burn that mother down!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17s9u91j said:
hawk45":17s9u91j said:

Man I hope you're right............cause if I see tentative Russell taking too long to change plays running the clock down and our offense looking confused like last week for 3 quarters I'm going to throw a brick through my TV.

It's F'ing go time Pete, Darrell and Russell! Take the damn gloves off and lets burn that mother down!

The problems with the play clock last week was because the communication equipment wasn't working properly. Sub zero temps caused problems that won't be a factor this week. Unless they pull a Belichick and pay someone to mess with the system, the Seahawks should be fine with getting plays off in time.

PanthersFan89

Reaction score
rideaducati":3mq8speb said:
Nice write up, but I don't think this game is going to be close. The Seahawks are much better than they were last time these teams played and Carolina is worse. Seahawks win by three scores.

Quoted for posterity

12thbrah

Reaction score
The passing game is 10x better than what it was back in week 6. Carolina's secondary will be exploited.

This defense has contained Newton before and I expect he will throw at least another 2 picks in this game.

The Seahawks are by far the most complete team both offensively and defensively that the Panthers will have faced all season. They are evenly matched but I expect the Hawks championship experience to win out in the end.

If it goes to script it should be at least a victory for the Hawks by double digits.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rideaducati":2853ke85 said:
The problems with the play clock last week was because the communication equipment wasn't working properly. Sub zero temps caused problems that won't be a factor this week. Unless they pull a Belichick and pay someone to mess with the system, the Seahawks should be fine with getting plays off in time.

Pete and Russell said that, but I don't believe it was ALL communication equipment.

If it was the headsets, then that gets cleaned up by getting the play in early, letting Russell get to the line with 20 seconds on the clock, not continuing to do it with 10 seconds.

IMO it was more of what we saw in the Rams game, Russell taking too long to try and figure out what the Rams were doing on defense and deciding on whether to change the play or protection. THAT'S what I saw Sunday. Tentative non-committal Russell.

I want Arizona Russell and Bevell................up tempo get to the line quick, spread em out and throw everything we've got in the playbook at Carolina.

We're not going to beat Carolina's D by allowing them to dictate at the line like the Rams do. You gotta spread em out and go up tempo, or at least switch up the tempo every other series.

rideaducati

Reaction score
PanthersFan89":1rwlzc6i said:
rideaducati":1rwlzc6i said:

Quoted for posterity

As if you'll come back to remind me how right I was... You won't show up until next season after this Sunday.