Horse collar Penalty

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
First off, stoked for the very lucky win!

I know the rule but why is it a penalty? I mean you can tackle people by thier hair, tackle them by thier helmet and nearly rip thier head off (Robinson on Lockett, how fast was he by the way) and they are perfectly acceptable.

So whats with this rule?

Also for how many weeks is Gresham buying steak dinners for Ryan? That cold aint nuthin huh Clint.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The rule came into effect about ten years ago because players were using the horse collar to drive players down to the ground backwards, which would sometimes cause the tackled-player's legs to become trapped under the weight of his body. This led to some serious injuries and the Seahawks were one of the team to vote to ban the maneuver.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Roy Williams kept breaking legs and tearing ACL's tackling that way as a technique.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I believe Shaun Alexander broke his foot on a horse collar tackle.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
In its inception, it way the Roy Williams / Priest Holmes rule. Priest messed up his hips while being tackled that way not once but twice I believe. The NFL then opened their eyes and banned it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I have been wondering this too. Yes, there are a lot of injuries where a players leg gets trapped underneath, as their body falls backwards. IIRC, Jimmy Graham's injury was of that variety, just from leaning back to catch a ball and getting his leg trapped under and folded back.

sutz

Reaction score
I really didn't have a problem with the call. It was legit. Illegal tackle all the way and right in front of the official.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":36nclg61 said:
I thought it was from t.o. getting hurt

Yeah it basically was. He was the high profile player that was knocked out for significant time that cause the league to propose making horse collars illegal.

potatohead

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2byqmjsi said:
StaffAmerica74":2byqmjsi said:
I thought it was from t.o. getting hurt

Yeah it basically was. He was the high profile player that was knocked out for significant time that cause the league to propose making horse collars illegal.

Yep. Tore a ligament in his ankle if I remember right, it was while he played for the Eagles.

Hawks46

Reaction score
olyfan63":o85r8ec2 said:
Thanks for the explanation. I have been wondering this too. Yes, there are a lot of injuries where a players leg gets trapped underneath, as their body falls backwards. IIRC, Jimmy Graham's injury was of that variety, just from leaning back to catch a ball and getting his leg trapped under and folded back.

So was Rawls. Sadly, if he'd have just gone down easier, he'd still be playing.

irocdave

Reaction score
Sucks that Coleman did it and the hawks got the penalty but it's a good rule. As mentioned, to many guys were getting dragged down backwards on a dead sprint and getting hurt. Would have liked to see another view of that play because it appeared that if he didn't commit the penalty the runner may have busted it.

Reaction score
irocdave":uzakxnhv said:
Sucks that Coleman did it and the hawks got the penalty but it's a good rule. As mentioned, to many guys were getting dragged down backwards on a dead sprint and getting hurt. Would have liked to see another view of that play because it appeared that if he didn't commit the penalty the runner may have busted it.
His hand wasn't tucked inside the collar though - you're allowed to put your hand in there, you just can't pull the other player down by it. I thought pulling the jersey NEAR the collar is legal, but not having your hand inside the collar (essentially grabbing the shoulder pads).

Which is what I thought happened - maybe I just didn't look closely enough at the replay.

Latest posts