WHEW! Quick Hits...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Kudos to the Vikings who prepared well and played to win. I can't say we did the same on offense.

-- Russell Wilson, just throw this game away. He played off throughout the entire game. I am not one to be big on excuses but I truly believed that level of cold definitely affected his performance. As much as they said it would not, to my eyes, it very much did. Russell is known for one or two over throws per game (to get them out of his system) but I lost count with how many over throws he had. Some so poor you were left wondering what the hell he was thinking? Magic Russ showed up JUST ENOUGH to make the difference in what was otherwise one of the worst offensive performances we've seen under the Russell Wilson Era.

-- Baldwin angry no more. That one-handed grab of what should have been another one of Russ' terrible over throws was nothing short of spectacular. THAT is playoff football right there, as was Russ' play when the ball was snapped over his head. What should have been a 20+ yard loss turned into the biggest offensive play of the game.

-- Did anyone else have a bad feeling about the game when Jon Ryan tried to run off a botched long snap only to plow facemask/nose first into the frozen tundra? It had that feeling of, "Oh crap. It's going to be a battle." Any thoughts of this being another easy blowout went out the window on that early play.

-- Would someone please explain to me why time management was SO horrific!?! I know Pete Carroll will never win awards in this category but the sheer number of times Russell would get the clock down to almost 0 before he had to quickly call time out was inexcusable. Where was the hurry up? Where was the quick pace? The urgency??? I was really upset with the poor clock management by Russell and the team in general.

-- Ugly Bevell showed up again in this game. Too many calls were of the "Play Not To Lose" philosophy. How many up the middle runs do we need to see? How many times was it 3rd and long because the first two calls were runs up the middle? Why didn't Russell read option out of some of those running plays? I counted five times I believe where he would have had nothing but green grass on the outside for what could have been big gains? The offensive play calling was conservative to the point of Holmgrenesque extremes. Bleck.

-- I thought our defense played another solid if not spectacular game for the most part. Outside of some stupid penalties, we kept the Vikings to 3 field goals (only 3 points in the entire second half) including a HUGE turnover. While a pick six would have been fantastic in a game like this, I'll take 9 points scored by the home team.

-- Chancellor looked like he's missed the past two games with an injury. Oh wait.

-- I want to thank my arterial walls for not bursting in this game, especially in the 4th quarter.

-- 12's were well represented! To be fair, so were Vikings fans. Very loud and proud on both sides. It was a great playoff atmosphere. I must admit, I am very happy I watched it in my 70 degree living room. :)

-- A friend of mine that came over to watch the game is afraid we are going to lose next week because how poorly we played on offense today. I had to explain to her that I quite frankly feel the opposite. This team RARELY ever plays poorly in back-to-back games. If anything, this was good for us in the sense that the offense knows they can't play like that again next week and expect to win. Not against the Panthers. I expect the Seahawks to play a FAR more aggressive game offensively, and the pressure is not on us to win which really will work in our favor. Besides, it will be about 40 degrees warmer than today's game which can do nothing but help.

-- A tip of the cap the to upsurging Vikings, and to the Vikings fans who were polite here over the past week. Congratulations for beating the Packers to win your division, and for nearly knocking off the two-time defending NFC Champions. You guys should be in the mix for years to come.

-- Get ready and used to the media not giving the Seahawks any chance against the Panthers all this week. They will base their entire opinion off of the performance today which is a HUGE mistake if you really pay attention to this team. They will use this as motivation to not only improve offensively, but to play in a way that will not even remotely resemble this game plan. That is, if the team continues on past trends.

-- 1-0! Let's go 1-0 next week! GO HAWKS!!!!!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":3jmskt77 said:
Would someone please explain to me why time management was SO horrific!?! I know Pete Carroll will never win awards in this category but the sheer number of times Russell would get the clock down to almost 0 before he had to quickly call time out was inexcusable. Where was the hurry up? Where was the quick pace? The urgency??? I was really upset with the poor clock management by Russell and the team in general.
(

I think they said something about headphones having issues affecting getting the play out on time.

Optimus25

Reaction score
One of the top three or four coldest games in history.

Ever.

It affected russ way more than i thought. He still found a way to win.

Carolina's going to feel like the equator.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I tend to think the media will be fairly split this week in regards to the winner of the upcoming game.

I think anyone who watched that game understands that little can be taken from it due to the unhuman weather conditions.

I can see the narrative giving the edge to the fresh Panthers....but I think we will hear many speak to our moxie and experience as an edge in our favor.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":1uwrp6pp said:

Ever.

I'm afraid the weather from today's game will affect next weeks game. People don't realize how much the cold saps out of you and the prolonged after affects. I'm sure Paul Allen has some wonder cure to assist player recovery, but I wish we weren't headed to Carolina on a short week.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1qgfggwq said:
Optimus25":1qgfggwq said:

Ever.

I'm afraid the weather from today's game will affect next weeks game. People don't realize how much the cold saps out of you and the prolonged after affects. I'm sure Paul Allen has some wonder cure to assist player recovery, but I wish we weren't headed to Carolina on a short week.

We're not. Our game is on Sunday.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I also expect the O to play much better next week. They'll learn from some things that happened today. They will be back on point. Of course, it won't hurt that it will be at least 40 degrees warmer.

Maybe Beast will be back? Would be a great plus.

LOTS of kudos to all the 12s who went to Minny.

Now, let's go Redskins. Put a stake in Green Bay.

kmedic

Reaction score
Would have been a lot easier IMO if Bevell had adjusted his play calling sooner. It was apparent to the rest of the world that misdirection and getting RW quickly out of the pocket (bootlegs, read option, roll outs, sprint option) was working way better than staying in the pocket.

Smellyman

Reaction score
If Odell Beckham makes that catch they are still talking about.

and no the cold won't affect them for another week.

seabowl

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":iglgktm8 said:
Aros":iglgktm8 said:
Would someone please explain to me why time management was SO horrific!?! I know Pete Carroll will never win awards in this category but the sheer number of times Russell would get the clock down to almost 0 before he had to quickly call time out was inexcusable. Where was the hurry up? Where was the quick pace? The urgency??? I was really upset with the poor clock management by Russell and the team in general.
(

I think they said something about headphones having issues affecting getting the play out on time.

They did but I'm not buying it. No issues for the Vikes. Also was an issue for us in the 3rd quarter. I think we had a case of the Bevells

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Optimus25":9ij5ni2x said:

Ever.

Instead of being 1-3 degrees it started at -7 degrees...thats gotta make a difference

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard coach Carroll say in the post game presser how this was a "Survival Game" and that he's not taking anything from this game (in terms of thinking our offense is suddenly poor) due to the conditions and that's a really good point. This was a defensive battle from start to finish. The Vikings had a great game plan that they executed for the most part, but at the end of the day, the #1 RB in the league was kept to only 45 yards on 23 carries. That's HUGE.

I still thought we should have won this game by 10+ points but the Vikings were better on defense, had a better game plan, and yes those 3 players they got back certainly did help. We are very fortunate their kicker missed that chip shot or the players are likely clearing out their lockers tomorrow.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Couple of things....

Bevell should have used the read option a bit more IMO, as it was clearly our saving grace when it was used. Other than that I give him a pass on this game, because it's really hard to keep calling plays when the qb is having an obviously tough time getting the ball on target down the field.

I also give Wilson a pass as this was much more of an anomaly that likely had more to do with the cold than anything else. I believe we see the good Wilson again next week.

I have to give kudos to the defense and especially Michael Bennett. That man was EVERYWHERE and lead the defensive line in dominating the Vikings most potent weapon on offense.

As far as the kick goes, the timing of that kick being in the waning moments of the game makes it feel luckier, but they aren't in that position without their own luck due to the cold, because Gresham having a bad snap and muffing the punt for us is also an anomaly that cost us 3 points earlier in the game.

All in all, it was a tough game and Pete's calling it a "survival game" is about right IMO. We survived and we live to fight another day.

What are the odds we come out flat in Carolina? I say very very low.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Very low indeed David. All signs point to seeing the attacking, dynamic offense we've been accustomed to late in the season against the Panthers. I for one think the cold was THE number one factor of Wilson's (and thus the offenses) lethargic performance. Next Sunday it's supposed to be close to 50 degrees at kickoff, which will feel like a tropical vacation compared to what they just endured.

The more I think about it the more I think Bevell really dropped the ball on this game plan. He should have let Wilson run the ball A LOT more than he did. The read option would have been an ideal neutralizer to their defense. It's tailor made for days like yesterday.

What ticks me off the most however, is that Play Not To Lose mentality that seems to creep up time and time again. The Bengals game earlier in the season is a classic example. We were calling vanilla running plays up the middle with 6 minutes left in the game when we should have been going for the throat. Instead we kept giving them the ball back with numerous chances to take it from us.

In the end, I agree with Pete...This was about surviving, not thriving. We survived, and now it's time to get back on track offensively against the Panthers, which are ripe for a big upset.

endzorn

Reaction score
Couple things about the atmosphere

- there was never a point that I felt cold in the stands. It was definitely freezing but I felt fine.

- the Vikings fans cheered louder while their team was trying to communicate in the huddle..."Teddy! Teddy!"...than they did when Seattle had third or fourth downs.

- Every third down Seattle had I could speak in a normal tone of voice to my buddy and we could hear each other fine. I thought it was the quietest road game I've ever been to.

- Vikings fans are easily the nicest fans I've ever had the pleasure of tailgating with. Not a single person was rude and all smack talk was good-natured and fun.

- after the game a drunk Vikings fan threw a young Seahawks fan on the ground outside the stadium. The kid's dad was yelling, "He's only 15!!" A huge group of Vikings fans immediately jumped in and gave that drunk idiot what he had coming. No one had to help that kid but those fans were great. Great people.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
endzorn":immcv7l9 said:
Couple things about the atmosphere

- Vikings fans are easily the nicest fans I've ever had the pleasure of tailgating with. Not a single person was rude and all smack talk was good-natured and fun.

- after the game a drunk Vikings fan threw a young Seahawks fan on the ground outside the stadium. The kid's dad was yelling, "He's only 15!!" A huge group of Vikings fans immediately jumped in and gave that drunk idiot what he had coming. No one had to help that kid but those fans were great. Great people.

I find it really strange that Vikings fans are so much more civil and sportsmanlike than Packer fans, given that Wisconsin is located right next to Minnesota. Many Packer fans think any time their team loses it's because of "luck" even though they get more favourable officiating than any other team in the league except maybe the Steelers.

Football should never be used as an excuse to act uncivil and a jerk to others, so I commend the majority of Minnesota fans.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Russ needed to dress for the cold better. Gloves, face protection, sleeves. The elements beat Russ down... We could have at least one more TD if he had some gloves... His throwing was way off and the communication issues did not help with rhythm.

Hopefully, he'll prepare better for GB if we have to go there.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Catch by Doug was dy-no-mite!

Watching Ryan go face first into the turf evoked memories of Maragos holding on FGs and well, it brought on some heavier drinking.

Thanks for the post, Aros!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3pd9kl50 said:
The play by RW where the ball was snapped past him was ridiculous.

When that ball went past Wilson I was just thinking get the ball and throw it out of bounds, we can't afford to lose all those yards. When I saw him release and say T.L. so open, I quickly changed my tune :thirishdrinkers: