Playing in the cold.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I know there is another post about this but not much talk as far as playing. I was wondering how we might do overall as a team in such conditions? Normally I would say we will deal with it. But I flash back to last season when Pete had us underprepared for the hot temps in San Diego. I am a huge believer in Pete but the ball was dropped on that game. This will be opposite extreme.
What if anything can a team do to prepare for something like playing in those conditions? If there is anything do you feel Pete will do it?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Looks like the temps drop a ton from friday night to saturday night, but even if they got a practice in saturday day, 15 or 20 degrees is worlds different than 0. Like I said in another thread, it actually gets harder to breath. Atleast both teams pretty much suffer equally, and with the vikes having so many rookies and young guys, I don't think they have any sort of advantage.

High friday of 34, high saturday of 19, high sunday of 3. So even the vikes dont really have time to practice and acclimate any more than the hawks do.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... o2H5_krJhE

blazen2392

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":fzeawk91 said:
I know there is another post about this but not much talk as far as playing. I was wondering how we might do overall as a team in such conditions? Normally I would say we will deal with it. But I flash back to last season when Pete had us underprepared for the hot temps in San Diego. I am a huge believer in Pete but the ball was dropped on that game. This will be opposite extreme.
What if anything can a team do to prepare for something like playing in those conditions? If there is anything do you feel Pete will do it?

I think what has me worried the most is Injuries. A ground and pound game in less than 10 degrees can quickly turn into an injury fiesta. this game needs to be put away early or even a win here could be just a win the battle loosing the war kind of situation. We have to get the vikings out of their comfort zone, and get them out of there as early as possible. We absolutely do not want a slugfest with them.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Atleast with the heated field the ground shouldn't be frozen. That will hopefully help a lot with avoiding injuries. 3 games on the road is a steep hill, we don't need anything to make it even harder.

marko358

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3cipleba said:

I envision Russel grabbing balls out of an industrial freezer in the middle of the VMAC and tossing them downfield.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Some older Vikings fans may be able to say "been there, done that" - but this will be just as new of an experience for the Vikings players as it is for the Seahawks. Heard also today on 950 sports radio that in the coldest NFL games on record the home team won 50% of the time. So in other words no advantage for the Vikings.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a bit concerned admittedly that this level of cold could be The Great Neutralizer. Willie McGinest was talking on Total Access today that that kind of cold makes it extremely difficult to breathe let alone run around and hit and get hit. He mentioned two of the players on his team at the time (in the coldest game he ever played in) actually went to the hospital for frost bite.

These kinds of temps is no joke folks. They are talking MINUS 20 with the wind chill. It's a potential health hazard let alone trying to play a football game in.

I hope my worries are much ado about nothing.

The good news is the Vikings have to play in it too and won't have any real advantage since this will be the coldest game they have ever played in as well.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I know Lynch's training masks were for elevation, but I'd think they could make something similar for extremely cooled air. Like put a pocket heater inside to heat the air slightly before it goes in the lungs.......maybe I've seen too much sci-fi stuff lol.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Welcome to North East Skiing.
Unless they grew up in it. Ir is still impossibke. Worry about players staying positive. Its hard for a d tomrun back on the field after a fumble when teyre under the heaters . The team that wins top in Q1 wins.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
It's purely psychological and not the extreme it was decades ago.
Players who must play in freezing weather today have many more advantages.
You see many guys like Rodgers wearing a thermal base layer beneath his uniform and a handwarmer all the time. Heat packs can be sewn into warmers to keep hands comfy. James Jones of Packers even wears a hooded sweat top beneath his gear. Everyone can wear a cape and sit alongside heaters. Teddy Bridgewater wears a glove for added grip which also provides some protection against the cold. Same goes for receivers who often wear gloves to catch. Game balls are kept dry and warm to a degree and rotated in.
Remember this is a game where rich folks run after a ball and hit eachother but mostly stand for 3 hours.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I worry more about crazy drunk fans who will be taking off their shirts to be on tv.
No need for body paint in this weather.
If you decide to take off your top it will turn red then eventually purple for viking fans or blue for hawks fans.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":ef948l1f said:
You see many guys like Rodgers wearing a thermal base layer beneath his uniform and a handwarmer all the time. Heat packs can be sewn into warmers to keep hands comfy. James Jones of Packers even wears a hooded sweat top beneath his gear. Everyone can wear a cape and sit alongside heaters. Teddy Bridgewater wears a glove for added grip which also provides some protection against the cold. Same goes for receivers who often wear gloves to catch. Game balls are kept dry and warm to a degree and rotated in.
Remember this is a game where rich folks run after a ball and hit eachother but mostly stand for 3 hours.

I like you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the weather being THE factor, nobody, and I mean nobody, is acclimated for these kind of temps. Not them, not us.

I will also, like the players, be using hand warmers, toe warmers, back warmers. A thermal mask, mittens, and good boots.

It is going to be awesome.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2k3c5uu5 said:
I worry more about crazy drunk fans who will be taking off their shirts to be on tv.
If you decide to take off your top it will turn red then eventually purple for viking fans or blue for hawks fans.
Russ' advice only applies to men, ladies ... I plan on being there

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1z37uk28 said:

...and you worry about these idiots? I worry that they will breed!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't know how the players don't lose fingers and toes to frost bite.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":yzasgzkl said:
Some older Vikings fans may be able to say "been there, done that" - but this will be just as new of an experience for the Vikings players as it is for the Seahawks. Heard also today on 950 sports radio that in the coldest NFL games on record the home team won 50% of the time. So in other words no advantage for the Vikings.

Minnesota claims that the cold weather helped them go to 4 Super Bowls.

Vikes45

Reaction score
The ONLY advantage for the Vikings is that the players actually live here, even though we have had a very mild winter up until recently. I read that we have more southern players than the Seahawks. We have one or two guys on the team who actually grew up in Minnesota. I don't see much of an advantage for the Vikings here due to weather.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Aros":173roc0b said:
Russ Willstrong":173roc0b said:

I like you.

Wind and standing on the sidelines is what sucks. Once your out on the field playing, it's really not that bad. Good gloves, wool socks, bali and some ploypros and your good to go.