Marshawn Lynch's return might be bad for offense (article).

kidhawk

Reaction score
Well if you call Florio saying Lynch MIGHT be disgruntled with his new role an article, then sure, it's a possibility, but I don't agree that it's likely to happen. Lynch came back because he wants a ring. I don't believe he cares if he gets the ball 10 times in a win or 30 times in a win, as long as we win he'll be happy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Mindless speculation on Florio's part. This is just fluff to make up an article.

Unless I'm mistaken, we've still had more rushing attempts than passing attempts in more games than not since Lynch has been gone. Unless I look at the wrong stats, we've had more rushing attempts than passing attempts in 5 of the 7 games.

Either way, it's been very balanced. Since Lynch has been gone, WIlson's attempts have gone up 2.3 or something like that.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
This is a time when the fact that Marshawn doesn't talk to reporters hurts him. If he would answer questions and say all the 'right' things the whole story would go away immediately.

But we all know that's not happening.

Inspector

Reaction score
I just don't see Marshawn being thrown in full time coming off of this type of surgery. I went through it myself 7 or 8 years ago and you have to be careful not to turn the recovery into a injury.

Also, I think the coaching staff is smart enough not to go all out with Beast when things have been going well in his absence.

Even if they did start him and let him play the whole game, I have to agree that the running game probably hasn't changed all that much. Wilson is just passing successfully more often.

I think it's a non-issue.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Inspector":24u9hs0g said:
I just don't see Marshawn being thrown in full time coming off of this type of surgery. I went through it myself 7 or 8 years ago and you have to be careful not to turn the recovery into a injury.

Also, I think the coaching staff is smart enough not to go all out with Beast when things have been going well in his absence.

Even if they did start him and let him play the whole game, I have to agree that the running game probably hasn't changed all that much. Wilson is just passing successfully more often.

I think it's a non-issue.
Your not a world class athlete.

Those who are strong, and in good shape, recover much faster than normal people.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I also think with it bieng 0 degrees and 10 to 15mph winds, this could turn jnto a battle of runningbacks and ball control. Lynch and Cmike might have a bit of a load to carry.

StoneCold

Reaction score
RussB":1all7qub said:
Anyone agree with this? The offense has changed and become more of a passing offense than a running offense. But i dont see how marshawn lynch can hurt this scheme unless they try to force the ball to him.

Heres the link.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... go-poorly/

Why do people say we've become more of a passing team than a running team? Cards game we ran 37, passed 32. Been like that for all of the PC era.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawks46":3gkpowy6 said:
Mindless speculation on Florio's part. This is just fluff to make up an article.

Unless I'm mistaken, we've still had more rushing attempts than passing attempts in more games than not since Lynch has been gone. Unless I look at the wrong stats, we've had more rushing attempts than passing attempts in 5 of the 7 games.

Either way, it's been very balanced. Since Lynch has been gone, WIlson's attempts have gone up 2.3 or something like that.

Redundant.

:)

naholmes

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Oh man, I cannot take anymore of this bad news! :sarcasm_off:

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Can't wait until the game begins, if only to tamp down the silly Tuesday articles from the peanut gallery.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
StoneCold":1cz6f7jg said:
RussB":1cz6f7jg said:
Anyone agree with this? The offense has changed and become more of a passing offense than a running offense. But i dont see how marshawn lynch can hurt this scheme unless they try to force the ball to him.

Heres the link.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... go-poorly/

Why do people say we've become more of a passing team than a running team? Cards game we ran 37, passed 32. Been like that for all of the PC era.

We have been killing teams through the air lately. We have realistically been killing them in the running game, and doing great on special teams as well. People just tend to remember the 50 yd td's more.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Hawks46":13erozez said:

:13:

Hawkstorian":13erozez said:
This is a time when the fact that Marshawn doesn't talk to reporters hurts him. If he would answer questions and say all the 'right' things the whole story would go away immediately.

But we all know that's not happening.
Not really. Jimmy said all the right things and the story persists. Web pages must be filled and all that.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
This is BS! This is the BEAST, please explain the NEW ROLE, he is expected to play. Feel free to use your imagination.

mikeak

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2ovzxtpg said:
I also think with it bieng 0 degrees and 10 to 15mph winds, this could turn jnto a battle of runningbacks and ball control. Lynch and Cmike might have a bit of a load to carry.

1) Yes -- RB may be needed to carry a heavy load

To the article

2) You don't get disgruntled in the playoffs unless you lose and if a loss is on the record it doesn't matter

3) I am not concerned that Lynch gets disgruntled. I am more concerned that the offense reverts..... But lets not forget we still run a LOT on 1st and 2nd down. The big difference is converting on 3rd down

sutz

Reaction score
Marshawn will be 'gruntled' just fine. :laugh:

The whole BS comment is missing two key facts.

1. The whole premise that we are a "run-first" team. Sure, we run more than most teams, but so what? Pete has always said that he wants a balanced attack, which to most folks means we'll run about as many run plays as pass plays. Stats kind of bear that out. We don't hit it exactly every game, of course, but we tend to match run/pass play selection within 5% or so over the season. Dirty little secret is, that hasn't really changed since Marsh was injured. Initially, Rawls picked up the slack. When he went down, we still maintained a pretty good number of running plays with CM and BB. Yards attained may have shifted because of more efficiency in the passing game, but the actual numbers of plays called hasn't really changed that much. Given equal numbers of plays, pass yards will tend to always be higher than rush yards anyway.

2. That Marshawn is some kind of mal-content if he doesn't get his way. Marsh has been a team guy since the beginning. Sure, he has shown some minor indicators that he might not have been happy with a particular play call or whatever, but there has never been any indication that he is some kind of a locker room cancer. I don't recall ever seeing him pouting on the sidelines. Sure, he gets animated because he cares, but selfish? Don't think so. All I've ever heard is how much his teammates love and support him.

Next.