This upcoming game will be a lot closer.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Will we win? Yes, we will.

Will it be the same as last time? No.

Minny is getting their stars back for the game and their defense will look a lot better. Especially if Joseph is ready to go. He's a big body that will demand double teams from us. With Barr and Harrison Smith, they get star players back at crucial positions. However, they still lack talent at the CB position and I'm sure we can take full advantage of that this upcoming game.

Another thing is, even though they put up 0 points on offense against us doesn't mean they will do that again. Remember, earlier in the year we played Jimmy Clausen and completely shut him down. When he went to Baltimore, he played us the second time with much more confidence and was actually able to sustain drives. I'm sure Bridgewater will be a bit more comfortable then last time. Minnesota fans do claim that Bridgewater does not show up for big games and always looks a bit rattled out there in primetime.

All in all, i expect this a fairly easy match-up for us. Even though I like what they've done with their defense, they won't be able to make the jump to greatness until their QB steps his game up a few notches. To me however, it seems like they've drafted Tjack all over again. I'm not saying this because they're black qbs drafted by the same team. Both have great athleticism with a live arm, but have absolutely no idea how to work the pocket.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I agree. Could be similar to two years ago when we spanked a one loss NO team by 30 points and barely held on for the win in the playoffs.

253hawk

Reaction score
Weather was a big factor in that playoff game though; it was wet and windy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think most people agree it'll be closer.

Very rarely do two teams play, even in the regular season where it's a blowout both times. More familiarity, scheme changes, and this is the playoffs.

But bottom line for me is our D is better, and our offense is WAY better. We're going to stuff AP, that leaves Bridgewater to beat our D? I just can't see that happening. Maybe in 2-3 years if Bridgewater improves, but not this year. Not with this being his first playoff game, in 10 degree temps, with very few offensive weapons.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I doubt many expect 38 - 7 but their offense has actually lost players. They might hold us to fewer points but I don't see their offense hanging in this one. They need some ridiculously bad play / luck on our end to pull this one out imo.

Laloosh

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2q636erj said:
I disagree. their offense is the very definition of one-dimentional. Vikings simply don't have the ability to throw the ball downfield, certainly not against our D. Our run D is excellent and should be able to contain a banged-up AP quite easily. We're going to win by at least 20 points.

T H E B L O W O U T I S R E A L B O Y S

music-chills.jpg

crosfam

Reaction score
I figure that Playoff intensity is worth ten points for Minnesota on each side of the ball. So I see it 28-17 Hawks.

OP
OP
A

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
crosfam":2kvurbbp said:
I figure that Playoff intensity is worth ten points for Minnesota on each side of the ball. So I see it 28-17 Hawks.

Minny wont put up more than 14. I think our offense puts up about 24.

Cartire

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ubu19jk3 said:
I disagree. their offense is the very definition of one-dimentional. Vikings simply don't have the ability to throw the ball downfield, certainly not against our D. Our run D is excellent and should be able to contain a banged-up AP quite easily. We're going to win by at least 20 points.

This is a good post.

(still think we should have like/up votes for post)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I seriously doubt anyone here actually thinks the Hawks will lay a similar beating on Minnie as they did last game. However, we matchup well with them and our O is better. Minnie's D doesn't even come close to Seattle's in scoring or yards allowed either running or passing.

The Vikings will of course be motivated to play well but if you compare teams position by position the Hawks should be advantaged everywhere except RB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":k5nm6tyk said:

I agree. Not being a homer, but seriously, throw out the results of last game for a minute. Just look at the Vikings' roster. How exactly are they going to beat us ? What individual matchups do we need to worry about facing their offense? Their defense ?

Now look at the results we had against AP. Look at the results we had against AZ in the run game. It doesn't even matter that we look at individual matchups; we stop literally everyone from running, and the Vikings were the #1 run offense in the NFL until they ran into us.

I don't doubt 20, but (before the injury report) I'd be willing to say at least 12 and most likely 14.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1kk9likg said:
jammerhawk":1kk9likg said:
I seriously doubt anyone here actually thinks the Hawks will lay a similar beating on Minnie as they did last game.

I do. I think it will be the same or worse for Minne.

On paper you should be right.

Bad matchup for the Vikings, against our #1 rush D and Bridgewater not being the kind of QB that gives the LOB problems.

But it's the playoffs, everything's tighter usually. Still think we'll pull away in the 2nd half, but I do expect Minnesota to play better than last time around.

Unless there's some crazy stuff that happens on special teams or fumbles, then this SHOULD be a 24-10 type win.

themunn

Reaction score
Bridgewater just threw for less than 100 yards.
AP has had just 1 game in the last 5 where he averaged more than 3.5 YPC - and that was against the league's 32nd ranked rushing defense.

Maybe Minnesota don't allow 38 points again... but how on earth do they plan to score - last time it took a 100 yard kickoff return to do it, is that their plan this time?

Polaris

Reaction score
253hawk":pqht0qru said:
Weather was a big factor in that playoff game though; it was wet and windy.

Not only that but Seattle absolutely dominated New Orleans for three quarters in that playoff game and the only reason it was only 16-0 after three quarters was it was being played literally in the middle of a winter storm that essentially prevented an effective passing game by either team.

In the fourth qtr, Sean Payton and Brees both got desperate and started hucking low percentage passes down the field in spite of the weather because if they didn't they knew they'd lose.....and they got incredibly lucky. In spite of that huge reward/huge risk playing (that paid off for the Saints), Seattle still won and won fairly handily. In fact Seattle could (and IMHO should) have ended it at the two min warning by having Lynch kneel at the one rather than taking into the end-zone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hope you're right that our boys beat them easily and convincingly, and all in all you could just be right. However it is hard to beat a team convincingly 2 X in a row even if the numbers point to that result being likely.

After all I was one who thought the team would lose to AZ last weekend until early in the 1st Q.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":35c7u0q5 said:
I disagree. their offense is the very definition of one-dimentional. Vikings simply don't have the ability to throw the ball downfield, certainly not against our D.

In fairness, you could've said these same things about the St. Louis Rams.

The weather will be extreme, and we have a starting RB who hasn't played or practiced in two months. These are a couple variables that could introduce enough chaos for a team like the Vikings to win On paper, however, Seattle is a far superior team and would win 8 out of 10 times in normal conditions.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I can see their game plan trying to work rbs McKinnon and Asiata on underneath passing routes like the Patriots did with Vereen. I really hope Kam is back to bust that up. K.J. and Bobby likely will see a lot of work covering their tight ends. It's going to be cold and windy, so that will neutralize the big downfield pass plays. YAC will be big and I like our guys a heck of a lot better than Wallace, Wright and Diggs

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pk1sgnj said:
I think most people agree it'll be closer.

Very rarely do two teams play, even in the regular season where it's a blowout both times. More familiarity, scheme changes, and this is the playoffs.

But bottom line for me is our D is better, and our offense is WAY better. We're going to stuff AP, that leaves Bridgewater to beat our D? I just can't see that happening. Maybe in 2-3 years if Bridgewater improves, but not this year. Not with this being his first playoff game, in 10 degree temps, with very few offensive weapons.

You bring up a good point. Historically, when you look at young QB's starting their first playoff game, they don't fare well at all, something like an 87% loss rate.

There are exceptions, like Wilson, Roethlisburger, etc. but both of those teams had an elite defense and a very strong run game and supporting cast.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Game will be a laugher. We have Glowinski, I may not even watch.