Lions to interview Seahawks personnel executive

Laloosh

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/684058315417075712[/tweet]

bigskydoc

Reaction score
And the price of having Pete Carroll as a coach. To him success is a legacy, defined not only by wins and Lombardis, but also by leaving his thumbprint on the entire league ala Walsh and Landry. I think that nothing makes Carroll more proud than seeing his protégés like Bradley and Quinn (soon to include Bevell and Cable) having success with their new teams. Success in the arena of wins and championships is a necessary component of the bigger picture.

I truly believe this attitude has percolated throughout the organization. Success means being the breeding ground for the most coveted executives, coaches, and free agents in the league.

-bsd

Hawks46

Reaction score
bigskydoc":264hx8g9 said:
And the price of having Pete Carroll as a coach. To him success is a legacy, defined not only by wins and Lombardis, but also by leaving his thumbprint on the entire league ala Walsh and Landry. I think that nothing makes Carroll more proud than seeing his protégés like Bradley and Quinn (soon to include Bevell and Cable) having success with their new teams. Success in the arena of wins and championships is a necessary component of the bigger picture.

I truly believe this attitude has percolated throughout the organization. Success means being the breeding ground for the most coveted executives, coaches, and free agents in the league.

-bsd

you're also more likely to get the best and the brightest young coaches to come to you if you allow them upward mobility and opportunity

hkronin

Reaction score
Hawks46":1q3lxc7e said:
bigskydoc":1q3lxc7e said:

-bsd

you're also more likely to get the best and the brightest young coaches to come to you if you allow them upward mobility and opportunity

Very insightful and true! Its so cool to see how Pete's philosophy extends throughout all aspects of the organization.

I imagine every UDFA treats calls from the Hawks more seriously having seen how the opportunities on our team can turn into real on the field success.

drdiags

Reaction score
A cautionary tale would be Idzik with the Jets. They thought they were getting some Seahawks magic only to give him the boot within two years. He was hamstrung with an HC and cap he had to clean up but he takes the bullet on Revis walking (even though Woody didn't want to pay Revis after multiple tough negotiations).

This is a good thing though. It is sort of like folks raiding the Patriots for coaches and FO personnel due to BB's success. Just like Seahawks DBs away from the team, folks note that ex-Patriot players/coaches and FO people fizzled once they left Foxboro.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3voib4ui said:

-bsd

Dont forget Richard, who lead once again a leading scoring defense. The trend is he will leave for a HC gig after next season.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hawks46":2iqosu4h said:

Dagnabit. Meant to put that as my final paragraph and got side tracked. Yes, the philosophy makes recruiting the most promising young coaches a lot easier. When they realize that you have a track record of paving the way for your young coaches, and the comPete philosophy extends not only to players but to coaches and staff, they are more likely to come start their careers with you.

It also works with free agents that need short-term, prove it on the cheap, type deals. Obviously we can't compete for the guys who are looking to bank now, but we can for the guys coming off of injury or other issue that just need to prove they still have what it takes. Of course it gets harder and harder as our roster gets stacked deeper and deeper.

gowazzu02":2iqosu4h said:
Dont forget Richard, who lead once again a leading scoring defense. The trend is he will leave for a HC gig after next season.

I didn't. He may yet prove to be HC material, I just don't see it yet like I did with Bradley and Quinn. I think it will be a few more years for Richard, but it is looking promising.

- bsd

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
drdiags":1wpq2us5 said:
A cautionary tale would be Idzik with the Jets. They thought they were getting some Seahawks magic only to give him the boot within two years. He was hamstrung with an HC and cap he had to clean up but he takes the bullet on Revis walking (even though Woody didn't want to pay Revis after multiple tough negotiations).

This is a good thing though. It is sort of like folks raiding the Patriots for coaches and FO personnel due to BB's success. Just like Seahawks DBs away from the team, folks note that ex-Patriot players/coaches and FO people fizzled once they left Foxboro.

Weren't they only able to go and spend their way to a monster secondary because of the savings that Idzik provided by not spending their cap in the previous season though, Doc?

I think he got the shaft tbh.