anyone else think Bevell called a great game?

irocdave

Reaction score
I thought the play calling was great, especially in the first half. It appears that losing offensive position bell cows has made DB change the way he calls games. He has had to acknowledge the O line struggles and call more quick hitting passes (timing routes), better timed run plays (less run plays sprinkled between short to intermediate passing plays and just more effort in rhythm passing plays.

sutz

Reaction score
When the players execute like that the OC looks like a genius.

:229031_shrug:

Reaction score
irocdave":2eorofrd said:
I thought the play calling was great, especially in the first half. It appears that losing offensive position bell cows has made DB change the way he calls games. He has had to acknowledge the O line struggles and call more quick hitting passes (timing routes), better timed run plays (less run plays sprinkled between short to intermediate passing plays and just more effort in rhythm passing plays.

I agree, and it pains me to think I might be wrong in my assessment of Bevell. He has been like a different O.C in the second half of the season.

jkitsune

Reaction score
The red zone and 3rd down execution has been stellar the last 7 games. Hard to tell how much is OL, how much is Russ/other players, how much is Bevell, but all have looked great.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Just so damned happy he and Pete finally figured out that quick passing game would make this offense excel. My only question is: what took so long?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Lockett continually giving great field position allowed him to be more aggressive. Didn't need to play field position game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Smellyman":28l709em said:
Lockett continually giving great field position allowed him to be more aggressive. Didn't need to play field position game.
And when we had to start at our own ten after the refs screwed us (first possession), he was smart enough to call those quick slants and out routes to gain first downs until field position improved.

legend38

Reaction score
Wish he would of saved that toss to Tukuafu for the playoffs, did not see that coming .......ever.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Yes. I'm even ok with the empty set because lately they have been moving the RB in motion to the backfield for pass pro. Also has had great 3rd down plays and goal line calls.

Smellyman

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":bkygk3u3 said:
Yes. I'm even ok with the empty set because lately they have been moving the RB in motion to the backfield for pass pro. Also has had great 3rd down plays and goal line calls.

considering their empty set numbers are through the roof you should be ok with it

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":1ornt2ez said:

Except there were 88 yard and 80 yard TD drives before Lockett's first big return.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Terpdragon":1u7ow8qx said:
Yet last week he reverted back to bad Bevell
Yep, it matters which guy shows up. I prefer they keep "bad Bevell" stuck in the locked locker until after Feb 8th.
Good Bevell showed up today.

Boom84

Reaction score
Yes, Bevell called a terrific game today. However the trend of good offensive performances keeps coming back to Wilson getting the ball out quickly and on time. Specifically the TDs to Tukuafu and Coffman were passes where the timing to get the ball out is key to the catch and finish into the end zone. It's those throws which Russell was not making earlier in his career. These throws in the short to intermediate area have the offense moving much more consistently and it's showing in third down and red zone percentage. Russell's improvement in this area are giving the offense a dimension they've not had in his time with the team.

Jville

Reaction score
:177692: Execution was a huge problem last week.

Darrell Bevell often calls a good game.

I think his most egregious critics expose themselves for what they are.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great game by everybody. My biggest complaint against Bevell was the red zone offense. That area has been improved significantly in the second half of the season.

danp1990

Reaction score
legend38":3nzncxrb said:
Wish he would of saved that toss to Tukuafu for the playoffs, did not see that coming .......ever.
he pulled out the old '' SPIDER 2 Y BANANA''' He also called that play 3yrs ago againt the Skins during the playoffs to our then FB Robinson. great call!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":20bhtac7 said:
Just so damned happy he and Pete finally figured out that quick passing game would make this offense excel. My only question is: what took so long?

Now that Bevell has shown he can call an NFL offense, I think the likely answer is obvious. Pete deliberately played vanilla offense through the first half of the season in order to create a surge towards the end.

And it bit them in the ass.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":nqwccmup said:
hawksfansinceday1":nqwccmup said:

Now that Bevell has shown he can call an NFL offense, I think the likely answer is obvious. Pete deliberately played vanilla offense through the first half of the season in order to create a surge towards the end.

And it bit them in the ass.
Yep. He stubbornly held on to the run first, grind it out, let the defense win the game approach for the first half of the season despite the defense failing in the 4th quarter several times. A great coach adjusts and Pete finally did because winning is more important to him than being right. Too many people in charge think being right is the most important thing to being a leader. Pete is a great coach.............well, except when it comes to challenges. :roll:

Now if he'd just adjust the offensive approach when we play the Rams next year (assuming Coach Cheap Shot is still their HC). But that's a discussion for next season.