The OL's opportunity for sweet revenge

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The season opener was one of the worst performances by our offensive line we have seen. The Rams beat them into the backfield on 20 of our 55 passing snaps. Garry Gilliam, Justin Britt, J.R. Sweezy, and Russell Okung were each totally humiliated in that game. Aaron Donald was essentially unblockable, both in one-on-one situations and double teams. In addition to Donald, DEs William Hayes, Robert Quinn, and Chris Long all had huge games for the Rams.

A lot has changed since the season opener. Ironically, the only lineman who was not beaten in the game, Drew Nowak, has been replaced by Patrick Lewis, who has brought veteran stewardship and more physicality at the point of attack. Okung is questionable to play in the game, and is day-to-day, with a calf injury. Okung's backup Alvin Bailey actually looked pretty good against Cleveland. Bailey seemed more physical and more willing to sustain blocks than he did earlier in the year.

Britt was making his first start at the left guard position, having practiced there only a couple weeks earlier. At that time, his technique as an interior lineman was raw, and he seemed easily outmaneuvered by double moves. Having to face the best interior lineman in the league under those conditions was a tall order. Now, Britt -- a more seasoned veteran of the position -- will have his chance at a rematch.

Britt was moved to left guard in order to improve the pass protection by accommodating Gilliam's move into the lineup. This was another case of trial by fire for Gilliam, a former TE and reserve LT. The physicality of the Rams defensive front seemed too much for him at times. But since then, Gilliam has grown into a really solid blocker for us at the RT position. Admittedly, he still looks a little thin in the britches, but his athleticism and determination to fight through the whistle have been apparent. Gilliam's second go-around will be aided by the fact that the Rams ended Robert Quinn's season two weeks ago so that he could undergo back surgery.

Sweezy also struggled mightily against the Rams, having one of his worst games since his rookie season. Right now, I think it is fair to say that Sweezy is playing like one of the league's best right guards. He has grown into the nasty leader of this offensive line. Having an opportunity to face Donald again has to be something tough-minded Sweezy is looking forward to, even if he doesn't win every battle. It's just another opportunity to demonstrate how far this unit has come.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
having Drew Nowak begin his career at center vs Aaron Donald was the football equivalent of child abuse.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":258p5u4t said:
having Drew Nowak begin his career at center vs Aaron Donald was the football equivalent of child abuse.

As a pass protector, Nowak was a better option than Lewis at that point in the season. As noted in the OP, Nowak did not allow a single pressure (sack, hit, or hurry) against the Rams. He has become the scapegoat for a green OL that saw improvement across the board, even while he was starting.

Donald tends to eat centers for lunch, and is much more effective when facing off against centers than against guards, even when coming from double teams. He has a deadly get-off and exploits that split second of inaction after a center snaps the ball. For that reason, it is doubtful that we will see much of Lewis one-on-one against Donald. Sweezy and Britt will see most of the work, and that is where our improvement will be.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Okung is out and Bailey is in for the Rams game, which gave me a huge headache until I read a little further and saw that Robert Quinn is also out. I'll gladly take that exchange.

The importance of this game has diminished somewhat since we clinched the wild card and Arizona clinched the division. The only real worry is that we get our players healthy and maintain our edge. I don't see a whole heck of a lot of difference between the 5 and 6 seeds, at least not enough to trump getting our players healthy.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RiverDog":28goters said:
Okung is out and Bailey is in for the Rams game, which gave me a huge headache until I read a little further and saw that Robert Quinn is also out. I'll gladly take that exchange.

The importance of this game has diminished somewhat since we clinched the wild card and Arizona clinched the division. The only real worry is that we get our players healthy and maintain our edge. I don't see a whole heck of a lot of difference between the 5 and 6 seeds, at least not enough to trump getting our players healthy.

IDK, getting to play against a bad NFC East team vs. at Lambeau seems like a big difference to me.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3iiu51pm said:
RiverDog":3iiu51pm said:

IDK, getting to play against a bad NFC East team vs. at Lambeau seems like a big difference to me.

The Packers look very beatable. Even when we weren't playing our best football and without Kam Chancellor, we had a 4th quarter lead and were in the contest right up until the last minute. I always like a matchup against a team we've seen this year vs one we haven't. Going into Lambeau doesn't really scare me that much, unless they have some sub zero weather.

You're right, the NFC East winner is likely to be the weaker opponent, but I don't think there's enough of a difference to make me want to go balls to the wall to win that 5th seed. We're going to have to bring our A game to beat any of them. I think I'd rather get my team healthy than try to guess which team is going to pose the greatest challenge.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RiverDog":hozs5yil said:
hawknation2015":hozs5yil said:
RiverDog":hozs5yil said:

The Packers look very beatable. Even when we weren't playing our best football and without Kam Chancellor, we had a 4th quarter lead and were in the contest right up until the last minute. I always like a matchup against a team we've seen this year vs one we haven't. Going into Lambeau doesn't really scare me that much, unless they have some sub zero weather.

You're right, the NFC East winner is likely to be the weaker opponent, but I don't think there's enough of a difference to make me want to go balls to the wall to win that 5th seed. We're going to have to bring our A game to beat any of them. I think I'd rather get my team healthy than try to guess which team is going to pose the greatest challenge.

Still, Lambeau is a hard place to play in comparison to any of those NFC East "winners." We already lost there once this season, and it was by our largest margin of defeat in over four years.

This is a Pete Carroll-coached team, so I'm pretty confident they would be going "balls to the wall" regardless.

kearly

Reaction score
RichNhansom":ch1nyuzw said:
Frankenline. Time to monster up.

sweezy_j.r.png

The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon approves of this message.

Largent80

Reaction score
Blame the staff for putting Nowak at center. Couple that with a new LG and new RT.

Revenge isn't what this is about.

A

Anonymous

We're going to have some eye gouging... dirty fingers in mouths... punches to the gnads... punches to the ear holes...

I hope our guys will be okay.

:mrgreen:

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2015":374r2uke said:
RiverDog":374r2uke said:
hawknation2015":374r2uke said:
RiverDog":374r2uke said:

Still, Lambeau is a hard place to play in comparison to any of those NFC East "winners." We already lost there once this season, and it was by our largest margin of defeat in over four years.

This is a Pete Carroll-coached team, so I'm pretty confident they would be going "balls to the wall" regardless.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. You ask any of the coaches and players and they'll tell you that they don't care, unless there's a big difference in the weather conditions or something.

What I really don't want to see happening is for us to play guys like Chancellor and Okung rather than going balls out to beat the Rams and /or Cards if resting them is going to help them get ready. Getting our guys 100% healthy is more important than who we play in the first round.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post. The only difference I'd make with the OP is that Quinn lines up as the RDE, which would match up against Bailey.

Gilliam is going to draw Long, unless the Rams switched him to RDE from LDE and I havfen't heard about it.

That's going to be a better matchup for Bailey, which is whoever backed up Quinn.

I'm curious to see how our interior OL does. I think we should just run block the piss out of them in the 1st half. Keep them going sideline to sideline and at least tire Brockers out.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":21ctsztt said:

Did I miss an announcement from the team about this? My understanding is that it is nothing serious and he is working on being able to plan on Sunday along with Kam? Sure if he can't play it will be Bailey but there is still the chance Okung plays unless I missed something.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2bfmk1k9 said:
RiverDog":2bfmk1k9 said:

Did I miss an announcement from the team about this? My understanding is that it is nothing serious and he is working on being able to plan on Sunday along with Kam? Sure if he can't play it will be Bailey but there is still the chance Okung plays unless I missed something.

Okung has a calf issue. There was 'nothing apparent' in the X-ray, but it all depends on how it feels later in the week. He didn't practice on Wednesday. Kam has 'started to run' on an anti-gravity treadmill, and is optimistic, but he will be a game-day decision.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":9ay4381s said:
RiverDog":9ay4381s said:

The article I read a few days ago said that Okung wasn't playing or was doubtful.

Robert Quinn was placed on IR.