Bryce Brown mini quake a'coming this Sunday?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
On February 28, 2001, the Nisqually quake (6.8 on the Richter Scale) hit without warning. That quake struck without warning and was felt as far away as Sand Point Idaho … wreaking damage and havoc on the Seattle area. No one was suspecting anything like that might happen on that day.

Come this Sunday, many unsuspecting fans at Century Link Field could very well experience a similar quake in the form of one Bryce Brown.

Yesterday’s release of DuJuan Harris by the Seahawks had everyone buzzing about WHO is going to be the man carrying the rock for this team. Carroll’s announcement that he planned on keeping Fred Jackson in his current role had many of the local media pundits speculating that Derrick Coleman would be the one to get the bulk of the carries until Marshawn Lynch comes back.

While many are looking to Coleman … I personally wonder if Bryce Brown will be that guy and if this could very well be his time to shine. Why do I say that?

First of all, Bryce Brown is a player who Carroll knows really well. Back in 2009, Carroll attempted to recruit him to USC. Carroll is all about measureables and characteristics that really set players apart. One of the most important characteristics that Carroll values is something Bryce Brown has – Speed.

He runs a sub 4.4 (he's been clocked as fast as 4.32), has an excellent burst, good vision, and has talent. Coming out of high school, he was considered by some to be either the top RB in the country (or right near the top) and to be the best RB talent to come out of the state of Kansas since Barry Sanders. His college football career didn’t end up amounting to much (mainly due to issues stemming from alleged NCAA rules violations), and he entered the 2012 draft as a fairly unheralded prospect as a result. At his Pro Day, he wowed scouts, consistently running between 4.37 and 4.45 ... having a vertical of 34 inches ... and putting up 22 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Those are fairly impressive numbers for a guy who's 6'0" and 220 pounds.

During those few times in his career he’s actually been given a chance, he has shined. During his rookie season, he started twice. Here were the results …

11/26/12 vs. Carolina … 19 carries … 178 yards … 9.4 yards/carry … 2 TD
12/2/12 vs. Dallas … 24 carries … 169 yards … 7.0 yards/carry … 2 TD

This Browns’ Defense the Hawks will be facing this Sunday … is absolutely ripe for the picking for someone of Brown’s talents. The Cleveland Browns come in to the Clink allowing an average of …

131.3 Rush Yards/Game (29th overall)
4.5 Yards/Carry (28th overall)
11 Rushing TD’s (tied for 24th overall)
12 Rushes of 20 Yards+ (tied for 27th overall)

That dovetails with what Football Outsiders says, who has the Cleveland Browns as their 29th Ranked Run Defense (9.0%) … and their 29th Ranked Defense overall as well.

However you slice that crap pie, it adds up to a group that would be eating 2nd and 3rd helpings of the dust a back like Bryce Brown could create.

If the Seahawks give this guy 15-20 carries, I’m betting we see a similar performance to this …

[youtube]maJzY6tYzGg[/youtube]

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Seeing what he could do with the team against the Browns may solidify him as one of our backs. What he does at this game could show that he can learn the system and compete with this team. I am curious what FEF would have to say about him. I may have to nudge her. I dunno.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":35pnildj said:
On February 28, 2001, the Nisqually quake (6.8 on the Richter Scale) hit without warning. That quake struck without warning and was felt as far away as Sand Point Idaho … reeking damage and havoc on the Seattle area. No one was suspecting anything like that might happen on that day.
Puts on Roland hat.

Wreaking. Wreaking. Not reeking. :34853_doh:

BadgerVid

Reaction score
sutz":vnvxbzsl said:
Hawkscanner":vnvxbzsl said:
On February 28, 2001, the Nisqually quake (6.8 on the Richter Scale) hit without warning. That quake struck without warning and was felt as far away as Sand Point Idaho … reeking damage and havoc on the Seattle area. No one was suspecting anything like that might happen on that day.
Puts on Roland hat.

Maybe he'll smell strongly of damage...
:stirthepot:

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
BadgerVid":36vymrc5 said:
sutz":36vymrc5 said:
Hawkscanner":36vymrc5 said:
Puts on Roland hat.

UGH! I wrote this fairly fast this morning. You guys are as bad as my students when I fail to proofread documents thoroughly. I've sprayed the Lysol and fumigated the initial post. Done.

Any further thoughts on Bryce Brown this Sunday?

Largent80

Reaction score
Need to see him run, and won't be overly excited if he puts up 150 against the Browns terrible run D.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sutz":112l9m2a said:
Hawkscanner":112l9m2a said:
Puts on Roland hat.

Dont forget to take off the hat and spray it.....or yourself...cant remember. :twisted:

I think it will be fun to see if he can fit this scheme. I know that our Oline is almost on top of our game as they have melded and will make holes for any running back to jump thru. Bryce Brown seems to be explosive but not sure what he can take as a hit. Looked like he avoided contact a lot. Does not mean that he cant take a hit, but did not see where he took many. In the video, did not see much blocking as any highlights. Need more data on that too, with our Scheme.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Loved the post and I'm excited to see what he can do. I like that Pete took a chance with someone who can be a difference maker. It would of been easy to plug in someone who is capable of giving 3-4 yards a carry and being adequate but Pete is trying to hit a home run a little bit here and I think its smart. Brown's style is very similar to Rawls and plays to the strength of this line. Hits the hole with burst and can get to the next level in a hurry. Now this is under the assumption he hasn't lost anything from what we saw a couple of years ago. I trust Pete knows this better than anyone seeing him in person a few times this year. I was shocked that he's only 24 as it seems like he's been around a few years.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Rumor is he's a fumbler. What is this based on? I mean, how many per carry?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I could be completely wrong but I seem to remember that he averages 1 per 47 carries but its also a small sample size and it was a couple of years ago.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Good thing we play crappy teams the next couple of games. Will be interesting to see who takes the job till Lynch gets back.

Largent80

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":12mgjvaq said:
Largent80":12mgjvaq said:
Need to see him run, and won't be overly excited if he puts up 150 against the Browns terrible run D.

This makes no sense.

How's that?...Their run defense is ranked 29th out of 32 teams. If he puts up 150, I'm sayin' ok great, now do it vs. Arizona.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":11ulgbte said:
BadgerVid":11ulgbte said:
sutz":11ulgbte said:
Hawkscanner":11ulgbte said:
Puts on Roland hat.

UGH! I wrote this fairly fast this morning. You guys are as bad as my students when I fail to proofread documents thoroughly. I've sprayed the Lysol and fumigated the initial post. Done.

Any further thoughts on Bryce Brown this Sunday?
Sorry, but sometimes an error like that makes me want to stop reading. :laugh:

Anyway, sounds like a talented kid. Obviously, I want him to do well and help the team. I think I recall rumors or whispers of his being a fumbler, which would make him a player that Pete wouldn't normally tolerate. If Pete doesn't think that will be a problem, I have to trust his judgement. Just looking at matchups, it seems to me that turnovers would be the only way we lose this game. There aren't that many alternatives out there at this time of the season anyway.

Got my fingers crossed.

:179417:

Norn Iron man

Reaction score
He looks explosive in those clips, but you can also see why he might have a fumble issue, seems to hold the ball away from his body a lot.

Jiggy

Reaction score
Looks like he can be fun to watch. But I won't be surprised if he barely breaks 100 or fails to even get that many yards.

On the plus side, he should have a fresh set of legs. On the negative, is he in football shape?

torontoseahawk

Reaction score
do you guys think he will actually be starting and getting most of the carries over coleman and jackson?

pmedic920

Reaction score
If he can even be enough of a threat to run well, that it keeps the Browns "D" honest, I'll consider it a good move. In that I just don't want the Browns dropping everybody back.
I'm fairly confident that the passing game will work well (like it has been) but if there isn't a legitimate threat of a run game, even the Browns could shut us down.

Basis4day

Reaction score
StoneCold":13efgqam said:

1 out of every 45 according to FieldGulls. Jamal Charles is 1 in 48 and Marshawn Lynch is 1 in 88. But those players have a way larger sample size.

But if you search for articles about Brown from the time he was on Eagles and Bills, the fumbling is mentioned fairly frequently as the reason he hasn't stuck around on a roster since his breakout performances with the Eagles four years ago.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2pnar1sd said:
StoneCold":2pnar1sd said:

1 out of every 45 according to FieldGulls. Jamal Charles is 1 in 48 and Marshawn Lynch is 1 in 88. But those players have a way larger sample size.

But if you search for articles about Brown from the time he was on Eagles and Bills, the fumbling is mentioned fairly frequently as the reason he hasn't stuck around on a roster since his breakout performances with the Eagles four years ago.

Quick check on nfl.com. 2012 he had 4 fumbles lost in 16 games. 2013 0 fumbles in 16 games, 2014 1 fumble in 7 games