To everyone that thought wilsons height was a factor.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Have you changed your mind about his height limiting his ability as a pocket passer?

I definitely did a 180 in these past 3 weeks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I would never have used the word "limited" myself. I do understand that at his height, he has to learn to play the position differently than a taller qb may have to, but to say it limits him, to me just was never fair. He may have to work harder and play smarter, but that is exactly what he's always done.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Yes Yes and Yes. I think Wilson will be the league MVP when all is said and done. Russell Wilson is a winner period..

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If Drew Brees can effectively throw out of the pocket at 6' 0", so can Russell at 1 3/8" shorter.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that his height is a hindrance at times. There's also no doubt in my mind that he's good enough to over come it (and I realized this long before the last 3 weeks).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's a factor. It will always be a factor and affect the way he plays and the things he can do.

But so what? I can say the same thing about Tom Brady's lack of athleticism.

No single thing is going to be the end-all, be-all for any quarterback. There is too much involved in the position. There are many ways to be special.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've never thought Russell's height was a factor, because all the evidence has shown since college is the dude can throw, from inside and outside the pocket...........because Russell's perfected the over the top tall throwing mechanics.

As opposed to Bridgewater, who's almost five inches taller than Russell, but is far more inaccurate and has more balls batted down because of his funky sidearm mechanics.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":29wmvyhe said:
It's a factor. It will always be a factor and affect the way he plays and the things he can do.

But so what? I can say the same thing about Tom Brady's lack of athleticism.

No single thing is going to be the end-all, be-all for any quarterback. There is too much involved in the position. There are many ways to be special.

I agree.

mrt144

Reaction score
blazen2392":2adcr33d said:
Have you changed your mind about his height limiting his ability as a pocket passer?

All qb height measurement should be eye level. Pey pey has 3 inches of forehead

Cartire

Reaction score
mrt144":absgw68v said:
blazen2392":absgw68v said:

All qb height measurement should be eye level. Pey pey has 3 [extra] inches of forehead

Fixed. Guy has a 5-head.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kidhawk":urcoc9r8 said:
I would never have used the word "limited" myself. I do understand that at his height, he has to learn to play the position differently than a taller qb may have to, but to say it limits him, to me just was never fair. He may have to work harder and play smarter, but that is exactly what he's always done.

Well put David. By the way how's fatherhood been treatin' ya? :D

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1ij014xn said:
mrt144":1ij014xn said:
blazen2392":1ij014xn said:

All qb height measurement should be eye level. Pey pey has 3 [extra] inches of forehead

Fixed. Guy has a 5-head.

Wouldn't three extra inches of a forehead be a 7-head?

Cartire

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2g1mlcal said:
Cartire":2g1mlcal said:
mrt144":2g1mlcal said:
blazen2392":2g1mlcal said:

Fixed. Guy has a 5-head.

Wouldn't three extra inches of a forehead be a 7-head?

Sure. I mean, its really a runway for a 747, but any thing works.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It is not an opinion that being short limits your ability to see everything unfold on the field, it is a fact. So im not sure why the OP expects people to suddenly turn away from a fact.

Ever been to a concert and the person in front of you is two inches taller and blocks part of your view? If it was the other way around they would not block your view.

The question wasn't "Does being short limit his vision?" Because the answer to that has always and will always be yes because that is how the universe works. The taller you are the more you can see over.

The question was, "Can Wilson overcome his lack of height?" That is the question Wilson is trying to answer.

seabowl

Reaction score
I wrote a decent sized post during his first year here that showed its not the height but rather the hand size that is one of the most important physical factors for a QB. Fact is Russell's hand size was the biggest of all the QBs of his draft class at 10 1/4 inches which was even larger than the 6'7" Osweiller.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Actually it's a gift and a curse to have that height.

But before I say why, remember Wilson has played with one of the biggest/tallest O-line in college and he still produce in the pocket. The knock was, could he play at that same level in the NFL. Yes height is a factor, but for Wilson to perform as a pocket passer, not really, he's done it at the college level in a pro system while doing it in the NFL.

Ok the curse is that he can't see what a taller QB would see, that is true, alot of people were blaming his height on missing open receivers and scrambling around when he should be in the pocket. Some of it was on Wilson himself, but also on the O-line miscommunication and slow developing playcalls.

The gift is that behind that O-line you can barely see Wilson, Richard Sherman has said it's been hard to pinpoint exactly where Wilson would throw it because you can't see him back there. He says all you see is a football go in the air (pew pew pew, was the sound effects he made while describing) but you don't see the QB throwing it, so in a sense that split second hesitation does wonders for Wilson. Also in the run game exact same thing, as a defender in the middle you can't see if he's going left or right until the last second when he's already running past you and he might not even have the ball.

With his quick accurate passing game this year, he would be dangerous in a Chip Kelly offense, just saying.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mrt144":3vpv00zm said:
blazen2392":3vpv00zm said:

All qb height measurement should be eye level. Pey pey has 3 inches of forehead
Thread winner right there! LOL! :th2thumbs:

mikeak

Reaction score
Some of us actually watched the NE game, Miami game, ATL game and Chicago game early in his career.

If you watched those and didn't realize that the offense limited RW and not the other way around then you either didn't pay attention or listened to pundits way to much

QuahHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":h3m7p3fq said:
There is no doubt in my mind that his height is a hindrance at times. There's also no doubt in my mind that he's good enough to over come it (and I realized this long before the last 3 weeks).

I sit in this camp.

It does change the way he has to operate. You can't run everything the same with him as you could with a 6'4 240lb qb. His athleticism creates other opportunities that most other qbs don't have so it works out for him.

Sac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kk6w0yz said:
I've never thought Russell's height was a factor, because all the evidence has shown since college is the dude can throw, from inside and outside the pocket...........because Russell's perfected the over the top tall throwing mechanics.

As opposed to Bridgewater, who's almost five inches taller than Russell, but is far more inaccurate and has more balls batted down because of his funky sidearm mechanics.
This is likely going to be the only legit point made in this thread.

*RW has an almost perfect deliver.

*RW'S delivery only works because he has freakishly long arms, and enormous hands.

*Aside from maybe Osweiler (6' 7") no NFL QB can see over their offensive line. QB'S have always had to

A: Know the offense, and know where receivers were supposed to be, and when.

B: Find throwing lanes the line creates.

Any other height related argument is bullshit.