Whats the magic number to clinch a play off spot?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Would 2 more wins in our next 2 games be enough given we are a game ahead? Obviously we want to win more to get the 5 seed but i'll feel better if we clinch before playing the Rams and Cardinals.

Polaris

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":17n1adku said:
Would 2 more wins in our next 2 games be enough given we are a game ahead? Obviously we want to win more to get the 5 seed but i'll feel better if we clinch before playing the Rams and Cardinals.

No. Seattle's magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 3.5. Why the "0.5"? Because if it comes down to a three way tie, we need to insure that the three way tie involves either Minny or Atlanta and NOT Tampa and Green Bay. Seattle is copesetic with either GB or Tampa as part of a three way tie but not both.

Basically if Seattle wins the next three games, the only way they don't make the playoffs is if:

1. Tampa Wins out

AND

2. Green Bay falls out of the NFC North race and is either the #5 seed outright or is involved in a three way tie with us and Tampa.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Polaris":29bn7lis said:
Glasgow Seahawk":29bn7lis said:

No. Seattle's magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 3.5. Why the "0.5"? Because if it comes down to a three way tie, we need to insure that the three way tie involves either Minny or Atlanta and NOT Tampa and Green Bay. Seattle is copesetic with either GB or Tampa as part of a three way tie but not both.

Basically if Seattle wins the next three games, the only way they don't make the playoffs is if:

1. Tampa Wins out

AND

2. Green Bay falls out of the NFC North race and is either the #5 seed outright or is involved in a three way tie with us and Tampa.

If the chasing pack keep losing this weekend and next- Tampa, Atlanta, Chicago will that shorten the number? There is a decent chance the first two teams lose this weekend.

Polaris

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3vizdcbm said:
Polaris":3vizdcbm said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3vizdcbm said:

1. Tampa Wins out

AND

If the chasing pack keep losing this weekend and next- Tampa, Atlanta, Chicago will that shorten the number? There is a decent chance the first two teams lose this weekend.

We also want the Rams to lose (although we can take care of that ourselves), to kick them out of any possible 8-8 ties with a head to head. If the Rams lose and Chicago loses, Chicago is out as long as Seattle wins. Also if Seattle wins, Detroit is out. If Tampa loses, they are still in but would be out as soon as either Seattle or Minny hits 10 wins. Same story with Atlanta but 9 wins is key (because Atlanta doesn't have the tiebreak and Tampa does).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I blame the poor start to our season for this thread (no offense OP, not meant personally). I hate when we have to think about making the playoffs based off what combination of factors need to occur to make it in...Reminds me too much of the Seahawks of old.

Damn you Kam, OL, Bevell, (insert your favorite excuse here)...

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Aros":w679z0av said:
I blame the poor start to our season for this thread (no offense OP, not meant personally). I hate when we have to think about making the playoffs based off what combination of factors need to occur to make it in...Reminds me too much of the Seahawks of old.

Agreed. Still nice though that if we win out, we are in.

Polaris

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2hy0ti3n said:
Aros":2hy0ti3n said:

Correct although that still doesn't *quite* assure us of the #5 seed if we do. To get the #5 seed we need to make sure that either GB wins the division OR Green Bay finishes with a worse record than we do.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Gut feeling????........We are in the playoffs.
Time for the competition to fret over that. :stirthepot:

sutz

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":nggg4e8c said:
Aros":nggg4e8c said:

This. ^^^ Technically, we still control our own destiny here. It's edgy because of the slow start, but we have 4 winnable games left. Go out and take care of business, and we're in.

Polaris

Reaction score
sutz":36c70lso said:
seahawkfreak":36c70lso said:
Aros":36c70lso said:

This. ^^^ Technically, we still control our own destiny here. It's edgy because of the slow start, but we have 4 winnable games left. Go out and take care of business, and we're in.

Indeed, chances are good that the last game won't even be meaningful for Arizona, and even if it is, based on what I saw tonight (vice what I saw last Sunday), these Cards don't scare me. That doesn't mean they'll be easy to beat by any means, but they (IMHO) simply aren't playing as well as they did a few weeks back.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Polaris":19lvm4nn said:
That doesn't mean they'll be easy to beat by any means, but they (IMHO) simply aren't playing as well as they did a few weeks back.

...or the Tards have peaked long ago and certain other teams are just starting to hit their stride.

Latest posts