Only 8 offensive coordinators have had their job +2 years

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Per Chris Mortensen & Adam Schefter (LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14335 ... league-nfl )

Something to consider for Seahawks fans:

Only eight offensive coordinators -- one quarter of the league -- have held their jobs longer than two seasons. The excellent eight: New Orleans' Peter Carmichael, hired in 2009; Carolina's Mike Shula, hired in 2011; Seattle's Darrell Bevell, hired in 2011; Pittsburgh's Todd Haley, hired in 2012; New England's Josh McDaniels, hired in 2012; Arizona's Harold Goodwin, hired in 2013; Kansas City's Doug Pederson, hired in 2013; and Philadelphia's Pat Shurmur, hired in 2013.

The other 24 teams -- 24! -- have all made at least one offensive coordinator change within the past two seasons.

There are a few things to consider here. For starters, offensive coordinators are under as much fire as NFL head coaches, many of whom are fired the week after the regular season ends. Also, look at the teams that now have the league's longest-tenured offensive coordinators: They are some of the league's most successful teams. Carolina, Seattle, Pittsburgh, New England, Arizona, Kansas City all have had continuity and stability. There appears to be a connection between the two.

Of course, none of the aforementioned offensive coordinators ever should become too comfortable in their role. If we have seen nothing else in this and other seasons, there is more pressure than ever before on offensive coordinators to produce.

Seymour

Reaction score
How many of those O-coordinators had the luxury of a top 5 defense every year? Just one I'm aware of, and a HUGE advantage.

Jville

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1445rk0q said:
Per Chris Mortensen & Adam Schefter (LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14335 ... league-nfl )

Something to consider for Seahawks fans:

Only eight offensive coordinators -- one quarter of the league -- have held their jobs longer than two seasons. The excellent eight: New Orleans' Peter Carmichael, hired in 2009; Carolina's Mike Shula, hired in 2011; Seattle's Darrell Bevell, hired in 2011; Pittsburgh's Todd Haley, hired in 2012; New England's Josh McDaniels, hired in 2012; Arizona's Harold Goodwin, hired in 2013; Kansas City's Doug Pederson, hired in 2013; and Philadelphia's Pat Shurmur, hired in 2013.

The other 24 teams -- 24! -- have all made at least one offensive coordinator change within the past two seasons.

There are a few things to consider here. For starters, offensive coordinators are under as much fire as NFL head coaches, many of whom are fired the week after the regular season ends. Also, look at the teams that now have the league's longest-tenured offensive coordinators: They are some of the league's most successful teams. Carolina, Seattle, Pittsburgh, New England, Arizona, Kansas City all have had continuity and stability. There appears to be a connection between the two.

Of course, none of the aforementioned offensive coordinators ever should become too comfortable in their role. If we have seen nothing else in this and other seasons, there is more pressure than ever before on offensive coordinators to produce.

I went looking for this article yesterday but couldn't locate it. Thanks for finding it and posting here. We are certainly a lot better off than most teams.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3pvd4is6 said:
How many of those O-coordinators had the luxury of a top 5 defense every year? Just one I'm aware of, and a HUGE advantage.

Yeah, that was a great touchdown pass thrown by Kam Chancellor against the Steelers.

Oh, wait...

Seymour

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":f5tibjrg said:
Seymour":f5tibjrg said:

Yeah, that was a great touchdown pass thrown by Kam Chancellor against the Steelers.

Oh, wait...

Yeah, that was a great touchdown pass thrown by Darrell Bevell against the Steelers.

Oh, wait....

DynoHawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3cce7tco said:
Never expected to see excellent and Darell Bevell in the same sentence.

"It would be excellent if Darrell Bevell would call better plays"

"It would be excellent if Darrell Bevell took the BYU Job"

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1vtz29mg said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1vtz29mg said:
Seymour":1vtz29mg said:

Oh, wait...

Yeah, that was a great touchdown pass thrown by Darrell Bevell against the Steelers.

Oh, wait....

His play design.

I'm starting to wonder if people secretly get annoyed when the passing offense looks great and the team has a big win. They have to be more creative to indulge in their usual pissing and moaning on Seahawks.net.

kearly

Reaction score
If the Saints clean house as expected this offseason, it would make Bevell the longest tenured OC in the NFL alongside Carolina's OC.

The insane turnover at OC isn't really an endorsement of Bevell's performance since almost any coach other than Pete would have fired Bevell after the SB, but I think it's interesting to put into context just how hard it is to hold an OC job in this league.

Seymour

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ffmpn5y said:
His play design.

I'm starting to wonder if people secretly get annoyed when the passing offense looks great and the team has a big win. They have to be more creative to indulge in their usual pissing and moaning on Seahawks.net.

I actually loved that game. But, I do not base my opinion on the exception, just the rule. Even a dead watch is correct twice a day.

canfan

Reaction score
Seymour":3thzsjqk said:

I went back to 2012 when RW came in rather than 2011, and you are correct. Including this year Seattle has never been worse than #3 in scoring defense. The only team matching Seattle for consistent D play over that span is New England who are a consistent top 10 defense right across the board. I thought Carolina would be there Carolina has been dominant but dropped a long way in 2014 when Cam was injured as their offense couldn't help them out much with TOP.

Now for the part you don't want to hear. During that same period, only 2 teams registered in the top 10 in scoring offense each and every year. They were New England and Seattle, with New England in the top 5 in scoring offense every year (never finishing lower than #4), and Seattle consistently placing between 8th and 10th in scoring offense. New England's offense was obviously being held back by unimaginative play calling on the defense and the only solution would be to fire the defensive coordinator. I mean, he is the only guy on the list to have the luxury of a top 5 offense every year right?

(One correction - I should have included New Orleans in the teams finishing in top 10 scoring offense every year - I thought they missed in 2013, but they were #10)

Jville

Reaction score
I think some struggle to appreciate how Seahawk play starts over every year to evolve and improve over the course of each season. Perhaps a few DVOA graphs would help. It takes a collaboration of hard working coaches and players to get that kind of repetitive performance improvement every year.

CVwJQ5lUAAE9n-g.png

CVwLL0CU4AEefwb.png

CVwGgbZUwAEFmIp.png

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/674420524345196545[/tweet]

ctrcat

Reaction score
canfan":1ay9yiyx said:
Seymour":1ay9yiyx said:

I went back to 2012 when RW came in rather than 2011, and you are correct. Including this year Seattle has never been worse than #3 in scoring defense. The only team matching Seattle for consistent D play over that span is New England who are a consistent top 10 defense right across the board. I thought Carolina would be there Carolina has been dominant but dropped a long way in 2014 when Cam was injured as their offense couldn't help them out much with TOP.

That and Greg Hardy taking up 10% of the cap and only playing in one game.

Seymour

Reaction score
canfan":1h1pfke9 said:
Seymour":1h1pfke9 said:

Now for the part you don't want to hear. During that same period, only 2 teams registered in the top 10 in scoring offense each and every year. They were New England and Seattle, with New England in the top 5 in scoring offense every year (never finishing lower than #4), and Seattle consistently placing between 8th and 10th in scoring offense. New England's offense was obviously being held back by unimaginative play calling on the defense and the only solution would be to fire the defensive coordinator. I mean, he is the only guy on the list to have the luxury of a top 5 offense every year right?

(One correction - I should have included New Orleans in the teams finishing in top 10 scoring offense every year - I thought they missed in 2013, but they were #10)

Orrr....you went back to 2012 because 2011 does not support your point, 26th in offense.

Putting Russell in there only also helps support the apologists side since he can improvise poor play calling with his legs.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jville":31a5mzs5 said:
I think some struggle to appreciate how Seahawk play starts over every year to evolve and improve over the course of each season. Perhaps a few DVOA graphs would help. It takes a collaboration of hard working coaches and players to get that kind of repetitive performance improvement every year.

CVwJQ5lUAAE9n-g.png

CVwLL0CU4AEefwb.png

CVwGgbZUwAEFmIp.png

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/674420524345196545[/tweet]

Or maybe we're all just baffled that one of the longest tenured OC's has to basically start over every year before figuring out how to call plays and coordinate the offense. I mean, what good is it to have stability if every year it seems like you start back to where you started the previous year?

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":205z4ds1 said:
Putting Russell in there only also helps support the apologists side since he can improvise poor play calling with his legs.

Right, because the offensive coordinator doesn't deserve any credit for the almost immediate and prolific success of a rookie QB. Not to mention the sustained and excellent success the offense has had since.

Let's instead focus on the year he was given Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback during the second year of a major franchise rebuild.

Seems to me the "apologists" are using statistical facts to enhance their argument... and what they're getting in response are angry villagers putting down their pitchforks and burning torches to cover their ears.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Make sure you guys listen to Pete's Wednesday presser this week if you haven't yet. He really dives into the play calling discussion and provides plenty of food for thought.

Cartire

Reaction score
Seymour":1vseguwo said:

CAR, AZ, KC, and even NE have had very good defenses the last couple years.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":ai4dcy88 said:
Make sure you guys listen to Pete's Wednesday presser this week if you haven't yet. He really dives into the play calling discussion and provides plenty of food for thought.

He certainly does.

And here's what Doug Baldwin said this week:

"Yeah, that would be...it'd be a big hole to fill, if Darrell left. So whatever the perception is on the outside he has given us opportunities to be successful, whether that's at the quarterback position, the offensive line, the receivers, the running backs. If we lost him it would be a great impact."

But what do they know, eh?

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkGA":2xm72x7h said:
Or maybe we're all just baffled that one of the longest tenured OC's has to basically start over every year before figuring out how to call plays and coordinate the offense. I mean, what good is it to have stability if every year it seems like you start back to where you started the previous year?

What are new Skill players and O-line, every year, for 1000 Alex?

Get us a stable line for a few years and I think the offense comes out swinging a little harder. Learn new players speeds and abilities during gametime and adjust accordingly throughout the year. Sounds like good coaching to me.