Offensive Line - still a work in progress

Laloosh

Reaction score
Ouch! Not sure how Britt thought he had help w/ the tackle there.

B0oxdvs.gif

Very nice pick up here though.

4S7Pv5h

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think he missed the wide 9 DE and thought the LB was blitzing. Communication error on the protection call I suspect. Of course Britt and Lewis both blocked nobody so someone screwed up.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2y4wxxfw said:
I think he missed the wide 9 DE and thought the LB was blitzing. Communication error on the protection call I suspect. Of course Britt and Lewis both blocked nobody so someone screwed up.

Without knowing who's making offensive line calls, it's hard to say exactly who's fault this was, but 100% it should have been Britt on the first play. Lewis had the LB right over him if he came.

Laloosh":2y4wxxfw said:
Very nice pick up here though.

Don't give him too much credit on this 2nd gif. Pretty sure they have a turn protection on meaning that everyone just has the gap to one side-the left in this case. It's hard to screw that up, at least from an assignment standpoint.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That play by Britt is why I say the line has not really improved that much, just that quick pass game has made it seem improved.

Cartire

Reaction score
Scottemojo":o5subiyo said:
That play by Britt is why I say the line has not really improved that much, just that quick pass game has made it seem improved.

So you are at the point where any mistake will be your facts.

You used to be very informative and unbias. You seem so bitter anymore.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cartire":e3wvrusy said:
Scottemojo":e3wvrusy said:

Its all good. Our team is perfect.

Better?

Cartire

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1fhd79vd said:
Cartire":1fhd79vd said:
Scottemojo":1fhd79vd said:

Better?

5 games where we had the lead in everyone till the end.

Tell me, if the current line play we have today was starting Week 1, we wouldnt be undefeated.

Mick063

Reaction score
Folks are too stuck on this O-Line talk. Russell has looked like the same player for his entire career....until about a month ago.

It always was about passing the ball on time. He was holding it for too long and putting the guys up front under constant duress. Russell finally figured it out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cartire":3nkp5jf7 said:
Scottemojo":3nkp5jf7 said:
Cartire":3nkp5jf7 said:
Scottemojo":3nkp5jf7 said:

Better?

5 games where we had the lead in everyone till the end.

Tell me, if the current line play we have today was starting Week 1, we wouldnt be undefeated.
That is unknowable. If Lewis has been the starter day 1, we would likely have more wins is all I can venture.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3kuwurmo said:

I don't have any desire to go back and do massive film study (I got plenty of that in college), but my initial reaction is that the O-line is playing significantly better than they did early. Does it help that RW is getting the ball out faster on a more regular basis? Definitely. But I seem to recall him getting crushed on more than a few 3 steps in those early games. As always, it's more than just one cause to the improved results, and I think you'd be wrong to exclude the o-line from that.

Cartire

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":44utjffc said:
Scottemojo":44utjffc said:

I don't have any desire to go back and do massive film study (I got plenty of that in college), but my initial reaction is that the O-line is playing significantly better than they did early. Does it help that RW is getting the ball out faster on a more regular basis? Definitely. But I seem to recall him getting crushed on more than a few 3 steps in those early games. As always, it's more than just one cause to the improved results, and I think you'd be wrong to exclude the o-line from that.

This guys is my new favorite poster.

(I apologize if this ends up making people hate you)

StoneCold

Reaction score
Doesn't every line have misses like this? Watching Dallas Washington last night, Dallas's vaunted Oline couldn't get 1 yard on 3rd and one several times. No line will be perfect. Would be interesting to go game by game and count the number of missed assignments per game. Bevell is calling a better game, Russell is getting the ball out quicker and I'd wager the Oline is allowing fewer unblocked defenders.

NOTE: Hey I started my post before Dizzy had posted and ended up saying the same thing. How come I can't get no Cartire love?

Cartire

Reaction score
StoneCold":38dqxbtr said:
Doesn't every line have misses like this? Watching Dallas Washington last night, Dallas's vaunted Oline couldn't get 1 yard on 3rd and one several times. No line will be perfect. Would be interesting to go game by game and count the number of missed assignments per game. Bevell is calling a better game, Russell is getting the ball out quicker and I'd wager the Oline is allowing fewer unblocked defenders.

NOTE: Hey I started my post before Dizzy had posted and ended up saying the same thing. How come I can't get no
Cartire love?

I'm drunk. So Im more vocal then usual (is that possible?), BUT YOU are back to being my favorite poster.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Cartire":j0xy3b9o said:
StoneCold":j0xy3b9o said:

NOTE: Hey I started my post before Dizzy had posted and ended up saying the same thing. How come I can't get no
Cartire love?

I'm drunk. So Im more vocal then usual (is that possible?), BUT YOU are back to being my favorite poster.

All good, have another. :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":1z5ycabj said:
Scottemojo":1z5ycabj said:

They are better. But a rhythm spread attack hides a lot of ills. as it should.

The illustration I used with another poster is in New England. Tom Brady's average time to pass has gone from 2.3 seconds to closer to 3 as his WRs and TEs have gotten hurt, and he is getting crushed. Did his line get way worse? When the LT got hurt, no one noticed, because the spread attack they use hides the fact that his line is pretty bad.

We are, not for the first time, but for the first time a majority of our offensive plays, using those spread principles. We are like New England, but in reverse. Tom Brady's line was always pretty bad, but the design of the offense hides it so well.

The offense we used for the first half of the year magnified the issues of the line. The offense we are calling now for the most part minimizes those issues. Has the line improved? Of course they have, they were raw as hell to begin with. Are they as good as the stats say they are the last few games? I doubt it.

I will leave you with one of the now rare play action deep shots we dialed up in that game with the Vikings. 1st and 10 from the two, max protect play action deep shot. A play we are used to seeing in the past, right? Russ drops back, rolls left, instant pressure even in max protect, it felt like a flashback, a bad one. A near disaster play in the end zone. The rest of the drive we spread them out, result, TD. I considered that drive to be a microcosm of our season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ov7zts8 said:
Agree with the exception of Lewis, and that second GIF is what so many of us have wanted to see for several years now against the blitz....snap, read, throw.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Cartire":c36dcxgh said:
Dizzlepdx":c36dcxgh said:
Scottemojo":c36dcxgh said:

This guys is my new favorite poster.

(I apologize if this ends up making people hate you)
:242735:

mrt144

Reaction score
Scottemojo":249lk4yd said:
I will leave you with one of the now rare play action deep shots we dialed up in that game with the Vikings. 1st and 10 from the two, max protect play action deep shot. A play we are used to seeing in the past, right? Russ drops back, rolls left, instant pressure even in max protect, it felt like a flashback, a bad one. A near disaster play in the end zone. The rest of the drive we spread them out, result, TD. I considered that drive to be a microcosm of our season.

This man, this!

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2t30eqty said:
Dizzlepdx":2t30eqty said:

They are better. But a rhythm spread attack hides a lot of ills. as it should.

Sounds like we're in agreement here with one addition point, the following plays(non exhaustive) were 5 steps or more with no scrambling/sprint outs: 9 yards to Lockett right after the play you're referencing below, the 30 yards to him again when he got drilled, and both the 20 and 50yd TDs to DB (admittedly, last one probably isn't the strongest example but he got it off). Find me a game earlier in the year when he even had the time to THROW 4 balls from a 5 step, let alone having that kind of success.

I just went back and watched this play a dozen times or so and I don't see the o-line (Okung) as doing anything atrocious on this one. If anything I think it's on Wilson and/or Willson. I think Okung is either expecting help from the TE or RW drifts in his drop back because of the play fake and Okung is letting him rush up the field while keeping him wide. At most it's a half roll (setting up over the LT), but even if it was, all RW has to do is take a simple step up and to the right and he has a BEAUTIFUL pocket to throw from.

I think the flashback you experienced is actually of RW getting panicky and scrambling INTO pressure. And I know that's a play we're used to seeing in the past.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mick063":2dtk5zfo said:
Folks are too stuck on this O-Line talk. Russell has looked like the same player for his entire career....until about a month ago.

It always was about passing the ball on time. He was holding it for too long and putting the guys up front under constant duress. Russell finally figured it out.

THIS. And...

I'm starting to feel it's coming from Pete, that Pete is adapting and changing. Pete has slapped himself and said, "It's the O-Line, stupid!" (Paraphrasing Bill Clinton, "It's the economy, stupid!") Pete has realized what he is asking Bevell and Wilson to run, using this year's O-Line, was resulting in lots of 3 and outs, excessive sacks, and too few scores to win games. I think Pete has realized the defense isn't as dominant this year, so the offense has to pick it up and score, and score early and often.

So Pete's bullheadedness, wanting to play the game a certain way, stuck on an "identity", may have always been the true limiting factor, making "Fire Bevell!" somewhat irrelevant; Bevell's just following Pete's lead. Pete's a smart man, and with the ruthless competition in the NFL, when you're repeatedly getting your ass kicked, Pete knew something needed to change. So Pete put on his thinking cap, talked to some great offensive football minds, about how to "hide" the weaknesses of the O-Line (pass pro) and maximize the overall O's strengths (Russell Wilson's decisionmaking, mobility, and leadership, O-line run blocking, read option). Consulting which great offensive minds? Hell, Pete probably just asked himself, "WWBD?"* and then did it.

*"What Would Bill (Walsh) Do?

Latest posts