Make my inner GLUM go away Defense

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Wow, what a fun one...after the fact. I was Glum from the Gullivers Travels cartoon right up until the end. "We're all doomed".

While Pittsburgh's pass defense left alot to be desired, they are a fringe playoff team so I'm not gonna throw water on the offense. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Now that the euphoria has worn off for me, here is my half empty take.

We need to be more consistent on defense against quality opponents to keep this thing going. Now, before you say, "but that's BIG BEN, he does that to everyone", lets just throw out the defensive performance this week and take a look at our performance this season, outside of last week.

In 5 losses, OPP 393 total yds, OPP scoring 30.8, 4 of 5 100+ yds rushing, 24.4 1st downs per game.

In 5 wins, OPP 214 total yds, OPP scoring 7.6, 1 of 5 100+ yds rushing, 11 1st downs per game.

Here's something that can't be explained from everything we thought we knew about football. Pete has been talking about this and scratching his head as well.

In 5 wins - 1 takeaway?!

In 5 losses - 11 takeaways?!?

Looking at the splits, we are getting worked against the good QB's but still demolish teams without a quality signal caller (maybe Stafford is the outlier but he is playing really poor this year).

OP
OP
S

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Spent the day thinking about that 30.8 number in the first post, and reading the board, found many dismissing concerns about our defensive play as an outlier, a 1 game misstep. All we needed to do was get more production from the offense, so be happy. And while I'm excited for the stretch run, I want to be so with my reality glasses on.

Of the top 12 scoring defenses, we have given up more 25+ games than any other. Of the 12 teams combined, the record is 11-22. In other words, nobody wins those games, except the magical season/NE's. Interestingly, we will have played 7 of these teams, including the top 3 after Sunday. In 5 of the 6 games we have been a top 3 scorer against these teams, with 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd.

That's just factual information, no fancy formulas. We have played more tough defensive teams than any other, while also surrendering an abnormal amount of high scoring games against. Reputations are hard won but also die slow deaths. We all want to believe, me included, the Legion is just napping and will wake from their slumber at any moment. But there is no evidence.

Here's the good news. Confidence is king. We win this one Sunday, we face the 24th, 31st, and 12th scoring defenses in the 3 weeks leading up Desert Storm down in Arizona, hopefully with something to play for. There is time to get right, but we need to start now.

Below are the top 12 scoring defenses, showing # of games surrendering 25 or more points, and the team's record in those games. *'s are the score SEA put up against that team and where it ranks against all opponents this season.

[align=]1) CIN 34(L) 0-1 *24(SEA) 2nd most[/align]
[align=]2) MIN 30(L) 0-1[/align]
[align=]3) CAR 29(W) 26(W) 2-0 *23(SEA) 3rd most[/align]
[align=]4)DEN 29(L) 27(L) 0-2[/align]
[align=]5)NE 32(W) 30(L) 27(W) 26(W) 3-1[/align]
[align=]6)GB 37(L) 29(L) 28(W) 1-2 *17(SEA) 7th most[/align]
[align=]7)KC 38(L) 36(L) 31(L) 0-3[/align]
[align=]8)SEA 39(L) 34(L) 30(W) 27(L) 27(L) 27(L) 1-5[/align]
[align=]9)JETS 34(L) 30(L) 0-2[/align]
[align=]10)ARI *32(W) 31(W) 25(L) 2-1 *32(SEA) 1st most[/align]
[align=]11)PIT *39(L) 35(W) 28(L) 1-2 *39(SEA) 1st most[/align]
[align=]12)STL 37(L) *31(W) 31(L) 1-2 *31(SEA) 2nd most[/align]

Seafan

Reaction score
IMO the D has lacked the hustle from years past. I agree that confidence could really give these guys a boost. I hope their apparent lack of hustle isn't because Quinn and Norton are gone. I hope to see this defense step it up and play like they are capable, attention to the little things.

OP
OP
S

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Seafan":1ichqqvh said:
IMO the D has lacked the hustle from years past. I agree that confidence could really give these guys a boost. I hope their apparent lack of hustle isn't because Quinn and Norton are gone. I hope to see this defense step it up and play like they are capable, attention to the little things.

I think, as in most things, there is a whole pile of little things contributing to the end result, and each of us as individuals decide which thing to hang our hat on.

I'm really starting to buy in to the "League Has a Blueprint" theory as a prime contributor. What the numbers show above is that we absolutely still dismantle teams that don't have the personnel to execute that "Blueprint". 7.6 points a game against the lesser competition. That's ridiculously good, it's still an NFL team we are playing.

The SD game from last year, off the top of my head, is the first game in a long time I walked away frustrated at what they did to our defense. There were a few crazy good throws in there (to Gates) but it was methodical and infuriating. I, like most, gave that game to the Weather Gods (outrageously hot that day). But in retrospect, I think the first chapter of the book was written that day. The thing is, it requires 60 minutes of mistake free play, staying underneath, always getting some type of positive yardage on every play with a mix of run and pass.

Dallas then, jotted down a few paragraphs with a punishing run game, and a few well timed Romo reverse pivots (how on God's green does that still work by the way, why in the hell don't coaches teach attacking his back shoulder in pursuit..rant for another day).

Then, a bunch of hoodoo voodoo witchcraftian nonsense thrown in by Jeff Fischer that worked but no sensible human being would rely on.

Now KC, who barely threw for 100 yds but rushed for 190. In fact all of these teams rushed for 100, with two going over 150.

Along comes NE. A masterful use of the backfield in the passing game. Combination routes that rub off tight defenders just enough to keep the ball moving forward. But even Brady pushed too hard and with 2 Ints should have lost. They mustered 57 yds on the ground. This is the first time in 2 and a half years we lost to a team with less than 100 yds rushing. OCT 28, 2012 DET (84 yds rush). Since that day we are 27-2 holding teams to less than 100 rushing.

This year, we follow that up with a second loss in a row to a team with less than 100 yds rushing, losing in OT to the Rams. Since, it's been 100+ yds on the ground = LOSS. The only opponent going over 100 in the ground game and we still win, DALLAS. With 91 yds passing (LOL).

For the best chance to win, you beat us with a risk averse passing game, and steady run game. Don't ever lose yds.

This is why the AP lead Vikings are worrisome.

Seafan

Reaction score
I agree about the pile of little things. Part of which is the offense. 3 and outs and turnovers by the O have put the D out on the field more than they need. The tackling has not been great. When the D works but someone misses the tackle it's a killer. Penalties have also kept the D on the field too much. There have been balls on the ground that previous teams seem to get to more often than this season's D. I see players break down way too early and give up the first down too often. When you are accustomed to dominate play from these guys it's frustrating.

The players psych has also got to come into play. That's why I'm hopeful the team can get to a streak. That can do wonders for them.

Latest posts