Five numbers to know about Seahawks RB Thomas Rawls SHEIL

ivotuk

Reaction score
"2.80: That's Rawls' average yards after contact. Not only does it lead all running backs in 2015, but if the number were to stand, it would be the highest average of any ball-carrier in the past three years. Rawls' 89 yards after contact Sunday were the most in the NFL. This is what coach Pete Carroll loves about Rawls. He seeks out contact and punishes defenders."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... omas-rawls

Lazyfingers

Reaction score
All of the info in article is great, but this section was very interesting:

22: The number of running backs taken in the 2015 draft. Rawls, meanwhile, signed as an undrafted free agent.

"Seattle didn’t draft a running back -- I knew this team was full of [undrafted free agents]," Rawls said. "I knew Coach Carroll would possibly give me a chance to make the roster, and that’s all I did. I could have went anywhere, and I am glad I chose here because the organization and this team is so amazing. They let me be free. The coaching staff runs things the way I like. It’s good."

I asked Rawls to clarify, and he said the coaching style fits him. He said they don't do a lot of yelling and are almost always positive. Rawls pointed out that his confidence comes from practice, and that makes sense. Earlier this season, I remember trying to interview him in the locker room. He politely declined and said he was trying to get his mind right before practice. At the time, I thought it was kind of strange. But it makes more sense now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lots of Rawls threads today, he was special yesterday.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Very interesting that he not only leads the league in yards after contact at 2.80 but also is 5th in yards before contact at 3.18.

Also interesting that he is ranked 13th in the league at 604 yds while being primarily a 2nd back for the season. That kind of bites into the "small sample size" argument a bit......not entirely, but a good bit.

Will be interesting to see what he does the rest of the season, especially if Beast has to go under the knife.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1uot08hj said:
Rawls is becoming a fan favorite. I really hope he can keep it up.
Me too.
Now that the opposition has gotten a good look at his ability to zigzag through a D line, they're going to have to game plan for him.
He ain't sneaking up on anyone anymore, but stopping him just might be a pretty tall order to fill. :thfight7: