The Event Horizon

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There are some quality football minds here on .NET, and over the years there has always been a small contingency of true football minds here and it's one of the factors that has made this place so special over the years.

And you know who you are and we thank you.

I'm not one of them. Could I teach the basics of football to a room full of newbs? Absolutely. What I cannot do is really dig deep and explore the game within the game. I don't speak football speak. You're lucky I even know what an I Formation is, or a Bubble Screen, or Trips.

But what I am an expert in (if I do say so myself) is the emotional, psychological side of the game, and this team.

I can't pull a Kearly or Scottemojo as an example and provide intricate reasoning for why this play or that play broke down but I can tell you when a team is breaking down internally. It manifests on the football field. Simple as that.

I was a lousy student in school. I was bored most the time, not applying myself. Most classes I got a C or D. But the class I scored an A in every time? Psychology. I don't know why, I guess I have a knack for the human condition and especially for what makes a person react to their external world as they do.

This year has been a very enlightening example of a team of players who for every reason should still be one of the league's best. So why aren't they?

I personally believe that a lot of truths about this team have already been out there and passed around. Those most closely invested in something (12s) may in fact be the experts after all when it comes to their subject of passion (Seahawks). Shocker I know.

From my perspective, I believe...(and of course I offer this up as opinion only, not fact)...

-- Russell Wilson has become a distraction to himself and his teammates. This is not about character. He still ranks at the top of character in general as a human being but as a football player this is very much about allowing himself to become distracted. Fat paycheck, hot new celebrity girlfriend, endorsements, magazine covers, vacations (the professional photographer and staged photos is more telling then they want to let on)...I don't care who you are. You've officially become distracted from your primary focus. And guess what? Your teammates know this.

-- This team has NOT gotten over that final play in XLIX. Anybody who thinks they have is only kidding themselves. There is TONS of resentment that is long from pacified that I believe stretches through the entire organization. From Lynch to the Janitor, every single person in the organization harbors feelings about that play that cannot be resolved in months. Some may not be able to resolve it years from now.

-- Locker Room Chemistry? Nope. Oh sure, many players will still play the part and in fact, I have no doubt there are still some very tight relationships going on but in large part, the locker room is fractured. There are multiple reasons for this. XLIX Final Play, those getting big pay days, those who don't, the perception of Wilson and so on. This stuff manifests itself on gameday effortlessly.

-- I don't care what my boy Baldwin says. Many of our players would like to see Bevell gone as much as we would. Right or wrong, the perception (and perception equals reality for most people) is that Bevell has been a weak link to our offensive prowess. You can't convince me that these players honestly think he's not part of the problem. He is.

-- Vetamur made a fantastic point in his thread earlier about the moneyball aspect. It's absolutely true. The leadership has gotten away a bit from what made this team what it has been over the past few years. A huge factor that ultimately breeds the issues I've described above, from the players to the fans.

To end, the psychological impact cannot be overstated enough. From the players to the fans, we are human and subjected to how we process our emotions in relation to the happenings of the world around us. As much as I didn't want to admit it, the fact is, the way XLIX ended was an emotional killer to this team and I have NO doubt that the season we are seeing play out in front of us is in large part a direct manifestation of that ending.

Yes, there are other causes naturally, but if I had to point to one thing, that is this team's emotional event horizon.

Rob12

Reaction score
Spot on, Aros. I'd go as far as saying that I truly believe there is a small collection of folks who could probably find employment in the game if they were afforded the needed exposure and opportunity.

I agree on Russell as well. It seems to me that he's not as prepared this season. I think he's gotten a bit comfortable. The vacation during the bye week honestly shocked me. He's a young man and he should have fun, but he's built this image of a guy that wants to end up in Canton with multiple Super Bowl rings. I don't think he's doing the things that he needs to do to make that a reality. For as many physical gifts as he possesses, he is always going to be a player that has to work harder than most to stay on top of his game. Statistically, he's having his worst season during the maiden year of his new contract. His team was 4-4 and desperate for a win against the division leader and a rival. Jetting off to Mexico just seemed like such a weird thing to do.

Like you, I don't think the team has recovered from the SB loss last season. Things like that tend to have a lasting effect. It could have been the catalyst to having a dominating season, or it could have been something that would begin to rot the team from the inside out. It looks like it's having the latter effect.

And of course we could be wrong, but yes, the team doesn't seem as tight knit. They just don't. What I see more than cohesion is a team that has been dominated by a collection of individuals this season.

It's up to them to prove us wrong. I believe they're capable of an 11-5 finish. It's not likely, because too much damage has likely been done.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This team has looked off since the first pre- season game. Something has just been wrong all season.

Its a strange year. 10 TD passes through 9 games with the addition of Graham? No interceptions by a CB through 9 games? The way the D has not been able to hold leads against good QBs? Weird.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think Kam's hold out belong near or top of that list. The team lost 2 games because he wasn't there. The rest of the guys drudged through training camp while he stood up for his "principles" whatever they may be.

I think that's hurt the chemistry on defense more than anything else.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Aros":10bav2gh said:
-- I don't care what my boy Baldwin says. Many of our players would like to see Bevell gone as much as we would. Right or wrong, the perception (and perception equals reality for most people) is that Bevell has been a weak link to our offensive prowess. You can't convince me that these players honestly think he's not part of the problem. He is.
I have thought about what it is that has made Bevell stand out more and more as a problem and why it has taken a couple years with RW to surface.

He is slowly turning Russ into Tavaris Jackson!

ringless

Reaction score
I will say something that I feel that I have seen and it's not definitive by any means.

Prior to this year when I would watch a Seahawks game the excitement of the players was contagious. After any successful play this team was celebrating, their was excitement everywhere. They were working together, they were cheering each other on, celebrating with each other. Play, after play, after play. That presence was felt from the first play to the last play of a game it seemed.

I just feel I haven't seen that this year. Last year you could have a nice play on an opening kickoff, and LOB would run onto the field after the play and be jumping up and down celebrating with the guy who made a tackle and you just knew it was going to be a long day. What happened to all of that emotion?

What happened to Seattle keeping everything in house? Just this week you have Baldwin, and Bevell possibly throwing a player under the bus. Earl Thomas saying some players aren't giving 100%. If that's true then that could be why players are out of position. They don't true their teammates anymore to be where they need to be so they try to over compensate.

The Seahawks are capable of winning a super bowl this year if they get back to what was successful. But it takes a strong locker room and there are some issue right now, especially with the quotes. Sometimes it's even apparent on the field.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
There are other forces at work here as well. We have the addition of veteran players (Graham, Williams) who might get along but not fit the "family mold yet" for this team. New coaches also factor here as well. I am starting to believe the Kam holdout changed things. Before it was family first. With the holdout it is now pay me first. I think they truly understand his position but now things ARE different. Maybe the Super Bowl. Who knows. I think maybe a down year might be good for this team if they can stay together through it. Sucks for us I know but for he long run it could be good. Plus this season is not over yet.
Yes it all is speculation but this is why we are here. Who knows one of us is probably right. It is frustrating because as 12's we would love to help this team get over what is ailing them.

Seafan

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3n7fod6u said:
Aros":3n7fod6u said:
I have thought about what it is that has made Bevell stand out more and more as a problem and why it has taken a couple years with RW to surface.

The problem is RW has finally become RW.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
That was pretty much spot on Aros .
ive said it before . That last play of the super bowl was more than an int to lose . It broke this team all over and started the me me me thing! Trust was lost. the only way possible to counter that was to let the OC fall on the sword but we failed to realize that. There are many problems to as Aros said a very very distracted QB (that I believe is very overrated) a terrible Oline that has never been addressed. everyone getting paid and the fire is 100% out . I hope that we are not seeing the beginning of the end here .
It just pisses me off these types of championship Windows are small and when you screw it up its a killer . I did believe we were going to be a dynasty. So close and now so far away and getting farther and more and more questions come up with this team every week we are totally going in the wrong direction

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seafan":1t063td3 said:
MD5eahawks":1t063td3 said:
Aros":1t063td3 said:

The problem is RW has finally become RW.
You could be on to something there. I have to wait until I see him under a different OC before I am ready to commit to that but....

Vetamur

Reaction score
Good post, Todd. Dont have time or enough to say to hit every point but about not getting over the Super Bowl, I agree. Instead of moving on.. I think PC should have tried to use it as a teaching and motivation moment. You hear the interviews with players and you hear some say "I saw it once.. Im trying to move on" or "I never saw it".. I think I agree with Salk.. That play should have been used to open every meeting, every practice.. This is where we were.. this is how close we were... what are you gonna do about it? It could have been a new Atlanta loss..when it was done, people KNEW what they had to do to get back.

I dont know how much the loss of the Eye of the Tiger is responsible for the teams malaise..but its not helping.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I agree, Todd. And what I have heard straight from someone connected to the players...is that you are right on most of your comments.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2e5eg5jx said:
I think Kam's hold out belong near or top of that list. The team lost 2 games because he wasn't there. The rest of the guys drudged through training camp while he stood up for his "principles" whatever they may be.

Absolutely one of the primary killers this year, no doubt about it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":10dseby4 said:
Hawkstorian":10dseby4 said:

Absolutely one of the primary killers this year, no doubt about it.
First of all, GREAT post Aros. I agree 100% with everything you said (I'm a Psych major and worked with behavior problematic teens for 8 years so know a bit about human psych as well). You can throw the Cary Williams signing in too because it, IMO, lead in large part to Kam's holdout which as 'Storian said and I agree, is also a huge factor in what's happened this season.

Sadly, I don't believe for one second that this team has bottomed out. That could happen today as I think there's a strong chance they could lose this game vs. the 9ers. They probably won't cuz the 9ers are really that bad. But if it doesn't happen this week, I believe it most certainly will next week when Rapistberger and Co. drop over 40 on Seattle and they get blown out by 20ish at home..

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Well said, Aros, but I'm not going to go playing telepath when there are plenty of other tangible reasons for the current struggles of our team.

I'd also point out that we're five plays from being undefeated.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I am hoping Russell gets good coaching and he will figure it out, he can't be a Kapernick, he will be fine. I have all my wishes for this young man to succeed.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1rimht3t said:
Well said, Aros, but I'm not going to go playing telepath when there are plenty of other tangible reasons for the current struggles of our team.

I'd also point out that we're five plays from being undefeated.

Yup. I always felt like the Brandon Browner pick 6 against Eli and the Giants on the road was the one play that marked the turnaround of the team.

This year it seems like all the "one play"s have gone against us. Against the Cards, the "one play", I felt, was when Carson Palmer's pass got tipped up in the air by Richard Sherman, and Jaron Brown of the Cards outworked everyone else to get to the ball and catch it.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... 2015-fall/

There was more than one "one play" this game, but definitely that was one play that, with the outcome of a pick, probably changes the final outcome.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at it like this, our players went from this background and mentality

3956966834 912763fdf4

To this...............

millionaire_homes.jpg

This is a lot like the Rocky Movie with Dolph Lundgren, they don't have the same attitude and edge from pick one. They need to get that hunger and mentality back.