Game Changing Bad Calls

HawkGA

Reaction score
This article isn't about the Seahawks. It isn't even about the NFL. It's about the Miami-Duke game from last weekend (or whenever it was). I present here, in the main forum, because I wish, wish, wish I could have read something this sober and rational following the *missed* call at the end of the Seahawks-Lions game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... se-forfeit

Cartire

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2epc8ytj said:
From the comments section:

so, USC still won all those games in the mid-00s with Bush?
I mean, the refs declared those games final…

or maybe Miami broke some recruiting rules and we’ll learn about in 2023 and then this win will be vacated.

:snack:

a poignant reply to that was: The games weren't reversed, they were vacated.

I still agree with you though, but there was a difference.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Very good points. I've always thought the vacating games thing was stupid. It's not like those of us who lived it forget they won or that the history books won't still explain that they won but "asterisk".

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkGA":2la2dpfg said:
Very good points. I've always thought the vacating games thing was stupid. It's not like those of us who lived it forget they won or that the history books won't still explain that they won but "asterisk".

Exactly. Its a gesture at best.

No one thinks another team should have won those championships. They know who the best team was, regardless. This wasn't even performance enhancing issues.

At most, if the NCAA thought the action was egregious enough, that it even warrented a punishment, then it would have expelled Bush and Fire Pete. But because they were no longer there, they said, "Well, take away their titles." As if this idea had any actual punishment to what happened.

They should have decried Bush and his family for breaking the rules (And then repeal those rules because their stupid) and called it a day. Nothing of any significance mattered at that time. The games were over. The people were gone.

There wasnt even any evidence that the school new. They probably suspected. But its not like they introduced the Agent to Bush and his family.

HawkJay

Reaction score
My little bro is at Duke and was at the game. He wasn't amused at the refs or at my emails laughing about it lol

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that was flat out brutal. Not only was the player's knee clearly down, there was a blatant block in the back right in front of the ref.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkGA":3oykubbw said:
I present here, in the main forum, because I wish, wish, wish I could have read something this sober and rational following the *missed* call at the end of the Seahawks-Lions game.

Has anyone, or did anyone, argue that the Hawks win against the Lions should have been vacated, though?

If so I never saw it.

If there was a debate (and I don't really think there was, tbf) it was a debate between some Seahawks fans and the rest of the known world (inclusive of other Seahawks fans) about if the call was even blown or not.

As for the topic of the link though, absolutely agreed that vacating games is stupid. Rather, refs blow calls because they have any incredibly difficult job, and blown calls have always and will always be part of the game.

It's why as fans I think everyone is better off just simply acknowledging being the beneficiary of blown calls (rather than trying to talk them away), because in the long term, everyone will also be the victim of bad calls. Win some, lose some, which is pretty simple. Nothing wrong with saying you got away with one, and just being grateful for it, IMO (e.g. the 9ers getting an undeserved win agains the Giants in the NFCCG a few years back).

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15x6evoy said:
Yeah, that was flat out brutal. Not only was the player's knee clearly down, there was a blatant block in the back right in front of the ref.

I finally watched the play last night and had heard there was controversy but hadn't read anything about it. Watching the play was I was impressed they managed to keep throwing the ball backwards. But when the one player was tackled, I was kind of like, "Huh?" Seemed too that the Duke players just kind of gave up, which I really wouldn't blame them for, what with the guy having been tackled and all.

Speaking of the tackle. Don't they have replay reviews in college? Didn't the NFL basically adopt their version of challenge flags?

That said, there was a block on the final sprint to the end zone that was pretty awesome. Basically took out two players.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1rbu8ugj said:
HawkGA":1rbu8ugj said:
I present here, in the main forum, because I wish, wish, wish I could have read something this sober and rational following the *missed* call at the end of the Seahawks-Lions game.

Has anyone, or did anyone, argue that the Hawks win against the Lions should have been vacated, though?

If so I never saw it.

If there was a debate (and I don't really think there was, tbf) it was a debate between some Seahawks fans and the rest of the known world (inclusive of other Seahawks fans) about if the call was even blown or not.

As for the topic of the link though, absolutely agreed that vacating games is stupid. Rather, refs blow calls because they have any incredibly difficult job, and blown calls have always and will always be part of the game.

It's why as fans I think everyone is better off just simply acknowledging being the beneficiary of blown calls (rather than trying to talk them away), because in the long term, everyone will also be the victim of bad calls. Win some, lose some, which is pretty simple. Nothing wrong with saying you got away with one, and just being grateful for it, IMO (e.g. the 9ers getting an undeserved win agains the Giants in the NFCCG a few years back).

There may not have been a discussion of vacating the win but there was an awful lot of gnashing of teeth with the NFL evening coming out a week later saying they'll have to review the rules for how things like that should be handled. It was ridiculous and over the top. Way over the top.