Some love for Bevell, Graham, and Britt(!) from Fieldgulls

nash72

Reaction score
Solid game plan for Dallas? Good lord. We scored a whopping 13 points against one of the worst teams in football. Brilliant job.

Jville

Reaction score
The pulling guard though is the icing on the cake, and actually fools Lee into strafing to his left down the line, looking to fill the gap that Justin Britt is looking to create in a "Power-0" type of pulling block. That opens up the middle of the field for Graham's route, and Graham easily jukes the outside linebacker (#55) to get open.

An alternative strategy here, as Davis Hsu brought up on twitter, is that Seattle pulls Britt to open up a throwing lane for Russell Wilson over the middle. Lee may simply be reading Marshawn Lynch's run to the offensive right, and looks to stop that first and foremost. I'm not sure what the case was here -- whether it was targeting Lee or just trying to get a lane clear -- but it's a cool design either way.

I really like the first play presented in the article. I think Kelly and Hsu are both accurate with their interpretations. Pulling guards and running backs are often read as keys and on that play their influence (movement) opens up a throwing lane. It represents the kind of detail that I easily miss on game day. But It is the kind of detail that is there to discover upon further video review. It's a good time to be a fan. :th2thumbs:

Alexander

Reaction score
nash72":1xjfwf3y said:
Solid game plan for Dallas? Good lord. We scored a whopping 13 points against one of the worst teams in football. Brilliant job.

It's this sort of comment that makes it difficult to discuss what's going on with the offense. Offense struggles to scores, and automatically we blame one guy, even though there are other coaches (Carroll, Cable) and 11 guys on the field who are responsible for its success or failure.

I'm not saying Bevell is the greatest, and maybe you have a good argument for why the lack of scoring in this game is ALL his fault, but it feels to me like you didn't even read the OP or the article referenced in the OP.

I saw an offense that didn't give up any sacks despite missing its best O-lineman (and whose backup had to go up against Greg Hardy), that got Jimmy Graham heavily involved (dude was open all day), and that successfully schemed guys open in the passing game. To me, the game plan was pretty solid. I also saw a quarterback who struggled with accuracy and anticipation at times, which would explain some of the offense's struggle. There was also some poor situational play calling (running into stacked boxes too often), but arguably that's more of a Pete issue than a Bevell issue.

Alexander

Reaction score
Jville":sq23ekbv said:
The pulling guard though is the icing on the cake, and actually fools Lee into strafing to his left down the line, looking to fill the gap that Justin Britt is looking to create in a "Power-0" type of pulling block. That opens up the middle of the field for Graham's route, and Graham easily jukes the outside linebacker (#55) to get open.

An alternative strategy here, as Davis Hsu brought up on twitter, is that Seattle pulls Britt to open up a throwing lane for Russell Wilson over the middle. Lee may simply be reading Marshawn Lynch's run to the offensive right, and looks to stop that first and foremost. I'm not sure what the case was here -- whether it was targeting Lee or just trying to get a lane clear -- but it's a cool design either way.

I really like the first play presented in the article. I think Kelly and Hsu are both accurate with their interpretations. Pulling guards and running backs are often read as keys and on that play their influence (movement) opens up a throwing lane. It represents the kind of detail that I easily miss on game day. But It is the kind of detail that is there to discover upon further video review. It's a good time to be a fan. :th2thumbs:

We are really spoiled with places like .NET and FieldGulls, that's for sure.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":1lwodjt6 said:

Solid gameplan, not necessarily solid execution.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Good read. Seattle can move the ball they just can't finish in the red zone. Their last 2 drives were decent. I'm hoping after the bye Graham will have a Gronk like contribution to the offense.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
These gifs really highlight how well we can pass protect on a 3 step drop with very little blitzing and how our gameplan really helped out the line. I'm anxious to see how how this progresses as we take on Arizona and their blitz-happy ways. 13 points isn't going to cut it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
So if I understand it Bevel again make no mistakes and take no responsibility for anything, Every play he calls and designs is great and its execution or a player that is at fault. R-I-G-H-T

mrt144

Reaction score
Anthony!":gle4h0jj said:
Do if I understand it Bevel again make no mistakes and take no responsibility for anything, Every play he calls and designs is great and its execution or a player that is at fault. R-I-G-H-T

Infallible football genius does that to a person.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2rog86qt said:
So if I understand it Bevel again make no mistakes and take no responsibility for anything, Every play he calls and designs is great and its execution or a player that is at fault. R-I-G-H-T
I don't think anyone's saying that. But Bevell does a lot of good things for our offense too. It's symbiotic. I believe first and foremost it starts on the line. Progress is being shown there and that leads to marked improved play by the offense.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":24tk3ox1 said:
Anthony!":24tk3ox1 said:
I don't think anyone's saying that. But Bevell does a lot of good things for our offense too. It's symbiotic. I believe first and foremost it starts on the line. Progress is being shown there and that leads to marked improved play by the offense.

But you also appear to believe he is INCAPABLE of having a bad game as a play caller, which is why it is increasingly difficult to take your posts seriously (~90% of which are about Bevell).

Alexander

Reaction score
Anthony!":pd7x8m5i said:

Yet another comment that illustrates why it can be so difficult to have a reasoned discussion about the offense.

I've only encountered one poster on this board so far who thinks Bevell is great or even good (Siouxhawk). All the other Bevell "defenders" merely think he's not completely to blame for the offense's struggles. There are other coaches on the team plus 11 players on the field who are responsible for the success or failure of any given play. It is beyond ridiculous to heap all the blame on one person. It is even more ridiculous to mischaracterize the opinions of vast swaths of posters on this board, especially when many of them have contributed great insight into the team's struggles.

Yes, sometimes the play call is bad. Sometimes the game plan is bad. (That's not just on Bevell, BTW, but Cable and Carroll, too.) And sometimes the execution is lousy. We can all agree that the O-line is piss poor at times. And while you might not want to hear this, sometimes Wilson makes bad decisions or throws an inaccurate ball, or bails too early on perfectly good pass protection. Doesn't mean he's a bad quarterback, or not worth the contract he received (seriously, I haven't seen anyone suggesting this). But yes, sometimes he's to blame. Sometimes other players are to blame (O-line in particular). And sometimes the coaches (including Bevell) are to blame. These things aren't mutually exclusive, and it's pretty irritating to have these complex, interrelated factors boiled down to a binary issue.

The whole point of the OP is to start a discussion about what went right or wrong in the Dallas game. I personally found it interesting that they pulled Britt on play action to either (a) fool the linebacker or (b) clear a throwing lane for Wilson (or both). I think that's good scheming. My guess is Cable is more responsible for that than Bevell (since Cable's the O-line coach), but there's no way to know without being in the room when the play is drawn up.

If you really think Bevell is to blame for the lack of scoring in this game, maybe you should try reading the original article and explaining what part of the analysis you disagree with, rather than mischaracterizing what other people have said.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3l2s24ut said:
Siouxhawk":3l2s24ut said:
Anthony!":3l2s24ut said:

But you also appear to believe he is INCAPABLE of having a bad game as a play caller, which is why it is increasingly difficult to take your posts seriously (~90% of which are about Bevell).
Never said that either. It's as simple as this -- I want to see the Hawks succeed and I believe he's the best fit to make that happen. He's been a big part of helping us to the past 2 Super Bowls and in my opinion provides the ideal conduit to Pete's brilliant mind in structuring our offense so that it meshes within our team concept, which we all know is winning the turnover battle, employing a run-heavy attack and stressing field position. We rely on balance and although it may sound nice to throw up 30 points a game, that go-for-broke mentality isn't really who we are because that could throw that balance out of kilter. In a nutshell, our coaching staff is more concerned about collecting wins than top-scorer awards and it's the philosophy I believe Bevell works well in.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":27v0m9fb said:
hawknation2015":27v0m9fb said:
Siouxhawk":27v0m9fb said:
Anthony!":27v0m9fb said:

Never said that either. It's as simple as this -- I want to see the Hawks succeed and I believe he's the best fit to make that happen. He's been a big part of helping us to the past 2 Super Bowls and in my opinion provides the ideal conduit to Pete's brilliant mind in structuring our offense so that it meshes within our team concept, which we all know is winning the turnover battle, employing a run-heavy attack and stressing field position. We rely on balance and although it may sound nice to throw up 30 points a game, that go-for-broke mentality isn't really who we are because that could throw that balance out of kilter. In a nutshell, our coaching staff is more concerned about collecting wins than top-scorer awards and it's the philosophy I believe Bevell works well in.

Bevell's route tree is ridiculously simplistic, his choice of play calls on 3rd downs and in the red zone is consistently poor, and he has a strong tendency to abandon the running game at inopportune times.

On the whole, he is a below average play caller in the NFL who underutilizes his best weapons in favor of trickery and who often strays from the vision of the offense. He is in constant need of recalibrating toward the philosophy of the team.

He has good games -- I believe he is coming off his best called game of the season, even though it produced a mere 13 points and continued his inept play calling on most 3rd downs and red zone trips -- and he has had obviously bad games as a play caller.

You would appear to be less of a shameless flunky if you acknowledged his weaknesses as a play caller (and bad games!) or at least commented more often on a non-Bevell-related topic.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Alexander":1kp7cr3d said:
Anthony!":1kp7cr3d said:

Yet another comment that illustrates why it can be so difficult to have a reasoned discussion about the offense.

I've only encountered one poster on this board so far who thinks Bevell is great or even good (Siouxhawk). All the other Bevell "defenders" merely think he's not completely to blame for the offense's struggles. There are other coaches on the team plus 11 players on the field who are responsible for the success or failure of any given play. It is beyond ridiculous to heap all the blame on one person. It is even more ridiculous to mischaracterize the opinions of vast swaths of posters on this board, especially when many of them have contributed great insight into the team's struggles.

Yes, sometimes the play call is bad. Sometimes the game plan is bad. (That's not just on Bevell, BTW, but Cable and Carroll, too.) And sometimes the execution is lousy. We can all agree that the O-line is piss poor at times. And while you might not want to hear this, sometimes Wilson makes bad decisions or throws an inaccurate ball, or bails too early on perfectly good pass protection. Doesn't mean he's a bad quarterback, or not worth the contract he received (seriously, I haven't seen anyone suggesting this). But yes, sometimes he's to blame. Sometimes other players are to blame (O-line in particular). And sometimes the coaches (including Bevell) are to blame. These things aren't mutually exclusive, and it's pretty irritating to have these complex, interrelated factors boiled down to a binary issue.

The whole point of the OP is to start a discussion about what went right or wrong in the Dallas game. I personally found it interesting that they pulled Britt on play action to either (a) fool the linebacker or (b) clear a throwing lane for Wilson (or both). I think that's good scheming. My guess is Cable is more responsible for that than Bevell (since Cable's the O-line coach), but there's no way to know without being in the room when the play is drawn up.

If you really think Bevell is to blame for the lack of scoring in this game, maybe you should try reading the original article and explaining what part of the analysis you disagree with, rather than mischaracterizing what other people have said.
Very well-put Alexander. Admitedly I back Bevell because I understand the multiple dynamics you write about in determining whether a play works or not and can't justify blame being layed on one person when said play goes awry, just like you don't single out one person for the success of a play.