After This Season

massari

Reaction score
Do you guys see a mini re-build happening to shed salary and get more draft picks?

Graham, Bennett (Clark can replace), Lynch (who could decline soon), Baldwin (UFA after next season) can all get fairly high draft picks and clear a ton of cap space while keeping this team among the best in the league. Not sure about how much Lynch could get with his age/salary but rumors were that the Cowboys wanted Peterson (who's a year older and makes more money than Lynch) and were willing to give up a 1st round pick for him. I wouldn't trade any of them for less than a high pick though.

Also letting Mebane and Irvin Walk will get us some comp picks as well. Maybe keep Okung?

I think shedding all this salary and restocking the youth with draft picks while keeping most core players will still keep us among the best in the NFL and would be the best option after this season.

What do you guys think, is this a bad idea?

EDIT:I don't want to trade Baldwin anymore. lol

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think it's way to early to give up on graham. Bennett is one of the core guys I'd keep regardless of cost. Lynch would probably retire before being traded. And Baldwin is a dime a dozen and doubt we could get more than a 5th in trade.

I expect Irvin and probably okung to be gone, hopefully we'll get compensatory picks for them.

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
Bennett is balling out of his mind this season, he's not going anywhere. Lynch will be a Hawk as long as he wants. I also don't see him walking away from $12,000,000 a year. Not necessarily because he wants it for himself but for the work he clearly loves doing in his community. Baldwin wouldn't get us much, he's a smart tough player but isn't really trade bait. They'll give the Graham thing another season, he's a nice guy, seems to want to be here and the potential upside if they can balance out the offense with heavy doses of Graham and Lynch is just too tantalizing to walk away from so early. They tried it for 2 seasons with Percy and by all accounts he was a total maniac behind the scenes why would they walk away from a non disruptive player with Jimmy's upside so soon?

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1i30o7qx said:
I think it's way to early to give up on graham. Bennett is one of the core guys I'd keep regardless of cost. Lynch would probably retire before being traded. And Baldwin is a dime a dozen and doubt we could get more than a 5th in trade.

I expect Irvin and probably okung to be gone, hopefully we'll get compensatory picks for them.

Bennett is 30 years old and there is a cheap young guy who can take his place. Maybe not his production right away but that will come soon it seems. Can't keep too much depth with a salary cap, so getting a high draft pick and cap space with Clark taking over seems like a better option to me.

I was thinking they could probably get a 4th maybe even a 3rd for Baldwin, which I'd gladly do.

Unless Graham gets targeted 10 times a game, he's not worth 10M a year. So unless that changes, I'll agree with you there.

I'll agree with you on Lynch though, unless a city he wants to go to like Oakland wants him.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
chimpanjesus":15y1okma said:
Bennett is balling out of his mind this season, he's not going anywhere.

His stock is at his peak, why not get something for him while putting an end to our cap problems?

2_0_6

Reaction score
We need to keep Graham & Baldwin. If Lynch retires, I would LOVE for the Hawks to make a run at Alfred Morris. He is a stud, and has fallen out of favor with Gruden who is folding Matt Jones more and more into the mix.

Trade Bennett for Oline, Secondary depth or a pick(s).
Mebane is gone.
Kearse is gone.
Okung is gone.
Release Cary Williams and eat the dead money hit

hawknation2015

Reaction score
What cap problems?

Seahawks have the 14th most cap space available in 2016.

JlanHjB

Here is our list of free agents:
81eExrt

Guys like Bruce Irvin, Jermaine Kearse, and J.R. Sweezy already have replacements in the pipeline in Kevin Pierre-Louis Paul Richardson, and Mark Glowinski.

ERFAs Marcus Burley, Mohammed Seisay, Cooper Helfet, Chris Matthews, Steven Terrell, and David King can be re-signed for the league minimum if we want them.

There are another ~10 guys on this list who can probably be re-signed for pretty close to the league minimum.

It will be interesting to see what they do at LT and base NT. They should have at least $20 million to work with, and maybe even more, as one projection had the cap rising to as much as $160 million in 2016.

Tical21

Reaction score
Nope, we've clearly identified a 3-4 year window. We're all-in. There is no rebuilding at this point, only retooling. IMO Bennett is one of the 5 best DE's in the NFL, and you don't let a guy like that walk in the middle of your championship window, especially if his salary isn't overly cumbersome. Having an extra DE is a great thing, ask the Giants. Not having enough DE's could potentially be a game-changer.

Okung is the hardest decision. He plays the second most important position on the team, is our best pass-blocker ten times over. if you think we have protection issues now, wait until we have a turnstyle at LT. I don't know that we can afford to pay him, but I also don't know that we can afford not to.

I think Mebane is gone. Love the guy, and think he is underrated, but we've had success finding serviceable DT's in the bargain bin. I can see him becoming a casualty of the numbers game.

Losing guys like Kearse, Irvin etc aren't "re-building", they are simply annual roster turnover. Also, unless somebody else emerges as a possible deep threat, I don't know that Kearse leaving is an actuality.

marko358

Reaction score
Tical21":ljvfjtnn said:
Also, unless somebody else emerges as a possible deep threat, I don't know that Kearse leaving is an actuality.

Back to back games where RW has thrown a deep bomb to Lockett. I feel that he's slowly taking over that role.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":xy8m1fh1 said:
Nope, we've clearly identified a 3-4 year window. We're all-in. There is no rebuilding at this point, only retooling. IMO Bennett is one of the 5 best DE's in the NFL, and you don't let a guy like that walk in the middle of your championship window, especially if his salary isn't overly cumbersome. Having an extra DE is a great thing, ask the Giants. Not having enough DE's could potentially be a game-changer.

Okung is the hardest decision. He plays the second most important position on the team, is our best pass-blocker ten times over. if you think we have protection issues now, wait until we have a turnstyle at LT. I don't know that we can afford to pay him, but I also don't know that we can afford not to.

I think Mebane is gone. Love the guy, and think he is underrated, but we've had success finding serviceable DT's in the bargain bin. I can see him becoming a casualty of the numbers game.

Losing guys like Kearse, Irvin etc aren't "re-building", they are simply annual roster turnover. Also, unless somebody else emerges as a possible deep threat, I don't know that Kearse leaving is an actuality.

Agreed on all points.

chris98251

Reaction score
Okung has not played up to that contract, He probably won't agree but we need a replacement since he isn't going to get cheaper or have less penalties going forward. Mebane a dilemma, we need to see if we can get a consistent replacement, not becasue of his salary so much, he earns it, but his legs are not going to hold up for ever, better to relase a year early then a year late. Irvin would be nice to keep but he is going to want to get paid, his contributions while not apprecieated on this forum are more then we give credit for, we can't pay everyone. That and I think he will be on the SST to Atlanta also.

Yeah youngens look up SST :)

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2mlf2ndv said:
We need to keep Graham & Baldwin. If Lynch retires, I would LOVE for the Hawks to make a run at Alfred Morris. He is a stud, and has fallen out of favor with Gruden who is folding Matt Jones more and more into the mix.

Trade Bennett for Oline, Secondary depth or a pick(s).
Mebane is gone.
Kearse is gone.
Okung is gone.
Release Cary Williams and eat the dead money hit

Only if they consistently use graham like as much as they should and I'm a little hesitant on trading Baldwin but if it's for a 4th I'd do it for sure. Wouldn't Baldwin be expendable when Lockett and Richardson are in the line up? I'm thinking they can do the same things Baldwin does (is this right?) so shedding his salary for a draft pick and picking a big body WR who can stretch the field makes sense to me. Or put that money towards signing a FA like Josh Gordon.

If they choose the FA route over drafting for Lynch's replacement (if he leaves), Doug Martin also seems like a good FA along with Morris.

I think it's a given Cary Williams is going to be cut with his 6.2M cap hit.

chris98251

Reaction score
Baldwin and Kearse have a different body then Lockett and Richardson, Baldwin has a sturdier frame as does Kearse, I don't think they could stand a season of constant punishment between blocking which Kearse and Baldwin do a lot of as well as receiving catches and taking hits.

Seems like so many people forget that our recievers are everydown players and not just there for looks on running plays, our downfield blocking is why we are a success running the ball, that comes from our receivers and TE's sticking their heads into things.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Its time to make some early (and late) draft pick payoff. 2013 and 2014 were basically busts, especially when you consider the Harvin debacle. We have seen the formula and it is get big returns on player during there first contract so that you can shore up weak spots with free agents. Right now we don't have any cheap starters worth a crap except for T. Lockett.

RB Christine Michael*
DT Jordan Hill
WR Chris Harper*
DT Jesse Williams*
CB Tharold Simon
TE Luke Willson
RB Spencer Ware*
G Ryan Seymour*
LB Ty Powell*
G Jared Smith*
T Michael Bowie*

WR Paul Richardson
T Justin Britt
DE Cassius Marsh
WR Kevin Norwood*
LB Kevin Pierre-Louis
DT Jimmy Staten*
T Garrett Scott*
CB Eric Pinkins*
FB Kiero Small*
* signifies a player no longer with the team

I would have to say evaluating those drafts today, they are huge Busts. Although some have exhibited moments of brilliance, none of them could be called an impact player. I think we got a bit on track in 2015 with Frank & Lockett but the rest of them are questionable. I know it is not easy but more consistency and fewer chances on flyers is needed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Our whiffs seem to be WR and RB's, we know we go after projects or take flyers on guys we think we can adapt as far as linemen, I think with Lineman we need to draft those that fit now versus needing to develop.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkerD":1gpupuof said:
Its time to make some early (and late) draft pick payoff. 2013 and 2014 were basically busts, especially when you consider the Harvin debacle. We have seen the formula and it is get big returns on player during there first contract so that you can shore up weak spots with free agents. Right now we don't have any cheap starters worth a crap except for T. Lockett.

RB Christine Michael*
DT Jordan Hill
WR Chris Harper*
DT Jesse Williams*
CB Tharold Simon
TE Luke Willson
RB Spencer Ware*
G Ryan Seymour*
LB Ty Powell*
G Jared Smith*
T Michael Bowie*

WR Paul Richardson
T Justin Britt
DE Cassius Marsh
WR Kevin Norwood*
LB Kevin Pierre-Louis
DT Jimmy Staten*
T Garrett Scott*
CB Eric Pinkins*
FB Kiero Small*
* signifies a player no longer with the team

I would have to say evaluating those drafts today, they are huge Busts. Although some have exhibited moments of brilliance, none of them could be called an impact player. I think we got a bit on track in 2015 with Frank & Lockett but the rest of them are questionable. I know it is not easy but more consistency and fewer chances on flyers is needed.

A lot of people were using the excuse that there was so much talent ahead of those players, how can we know whether they are good? Frank Clark is an example of the fact that guys do not have to play a lot to know they have the potential to be good players.

* Kevin Pierre-Louis will likely be starting next year at Will. He has shown a lot of improvement in pass coverage.

* Jordan Hill will likely be starting at the three technique. He has shown a lot of improvement against the run.

* Paul Richardson will likely be starting at flanker in place of Jermaine Kearse next year.

* Luke Willson has improved his hands and blocking this season. He will continue to be a valuable backup.

* Justin Britt continues to improve as a starter at guard this year. However, I could also see him moving back to RT if Okung is not re-signed.

* Cassius Marsh and Tharold Simon are wildcards. Marsh has not really impressed me as a pass rusher, but he could see his reps increase in the nickel if Irvin is not re-signed. Simon has been valuable when healthy, but he has rarely been healthy.

* From the 2015 class, I expect a lot of starters: Tyler Lockett, Frank Clark, Mark Glowinski, Kristjan Sokoli, Tye Smith, etc. In terms of raw talent (and health), that is looking like a really nice draft so far.

Hawks46

Reaction score
massari":1ojnub24 said:
JSeahawks":1ojnub24 said:

Bennett is 30 years old and there is a cheap young guy who can take his place. Maybe not his production right away but that will come soon it seems. Can't keep too much depth with a salary cap, so getting a high draft pick and cap space with Clark taking over seems like a better option to me.

I was thinking they could probably get a 4th maybe even a 3rd for Baldwin, which I'd gladly do.

Unless Graham gets targeted 10 times a game, he's not worth 10M a year. So unless that changes, I'll agree with you there.

I'll agree with you on Lynch though, unless a city he wants to go to like Oakland wants him.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol we're not getting rid of Graham, point blank.

Don't know why you guys want to so bad, it's so puzzling.

Bwarren

Reaction score
No matter what happens in my opinion is the O Line needs to be scrapped entirely. Get rid of Williams, he's a swinging gate on his side and way overpriced. Take the hit and get a guy who can play. Graham is an issue. We can get the same production out of a mid level tight end and they can block. Pete is a ball control run oriented system that grinds up yards and time and a great defense. Lose Kearse, Richardson and R Lockette. Lose Okung, Sweezy and the rest of the Ol' boys. just to much is invested in those guys and lets get a new group of young lineman, sprinkled with a vet or two (could not be worse than we currently have) lose Mebane. Add youth to defensive line with Bennett and Avril. We need to get younger anyway. Fire Bevell, Adjust Richards approach.