Why do we hate Chris Matthews?

King Dog

Reaction score
The guy showed what he can do in the Super Bowl and he's caught everything thrown his way this year (4 receptions lol).

I don't know, it just seems like a better plan to throw those deep balls and 50/50 balls to a 6'5 guy rather than let's say a guy like Kearse who by the way is looking slowwwwww out there this year.

The argument about Matthews not doing anything after Browner started covering him in the Sup doesn't work for me. There's only one 6'4" Browner in the league.

I remember Doug saying after the Super Bowl that he wasn't surprised by Matthew's performance since they saw it all year on the practice field.

I've seen Matthews make some nice blocks out there as well.

I don't get it. Anyone?

JonRud

Reaction score
I don't understand this either. I want to see Matthews out there. I guess we are saving him for Super Bowl 50.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Pfft, I'm not part of that "we." I love Matthews!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Listen to the radio or go on Twitter, every analyst, inside and outside of Seattle to the man says Matthews runs bad routes, is a poor blocker and isn't a good practice player.

All things Pete demands out of his WR's.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2iyhmwuk said:
Listen to the radio or go on Twitter, every analyst, inside and outside of Seattle to the man says Matthews runs bad routes, is a poor blocker and isn't a good practice player.

If this is true, then why is he on the roster?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":27o1rra8 said:
Sgt. Largent":27o1rra8 said:

Same reason every team keeps talented players, potential.

What, you guys think Pete just hates Matthews? Like he'd catch 5 TD's a game but Pete just doesn't like him personally?

LOL. Be logical, this WR core has PLENTY of room for someone to step up and take a position. If Matthews isn't doing that, it's on him.........not Pete.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2s43auhb said:
SeahawksFanForever":2s43auhb said:
Sgt. Largent":2s43auhb said:

Same reason every team keeps talented players, potential.

What, you guys think Pete just hates Matthews? Like he'd catch 5 TD's a game but Pete just doesn't like him personally?

LOL. Be logical, this WR core has PLENTY of room for someone to step up and take a position. If Matthews isn't doing that, it's on him.........not Pete.

The guy shows what he can do on the field in the Super Bowl, then you basically never throw to him again - seems logical.

RussB

Reaction score
I dont know either. Everyone always says he runs bad routes or something similair but he has literally caught every ball thrown at him. And was open in the red zone yesterday. You dont have to be a good route runner to run a streak. Maybe they are still developing him and will have him start next year or he will start getting more snaps as the season goes on.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Matthews is kind of slow and a poor route runner. But he's an eager blocker with good hands who can catch the ball at its highest point. I think we could find more reps for him.

RussB

Reaction score
AnchoredFlatAmericangoldfinch.gif

This dude is like a Julio or Calvin

edogg23

Reaction score
He has some good yac potential as well, seems like it usually takes more than one guy to bring him down.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I've been saying this all along. We shouldn't have kept Kearse this year. Matthews could have been our #1 this year. Has the size and range that we haven't had in a WR since Sidney Rice.

I'm not sure why he isn't being played more. I'm assuming we let Kearse walk after this year and we will see him more next year.

I hope that's not the case. The dude can catch, has great visiom for the ball, and has a knack of making big plays.

Pete needs to wake up and forget what he sees in practice and look to what is produced in game days

bmorepunk

Reaction score
King Dog":32uvg7ga said:
bmorepunk":32uvg7ga said:
JAGHAWK":32uvg7ga said:

Yes, please define "we".

Sure. "We," meaning the Seahawks. I know I'm not on the team or anything :D

I don't prefer saying "we" when talking about myself in relation to the team, but I accept that others do it and its not a big deal. In this case, it muddles things to the point where "we" is completely ambiguous. Was the OP talking about the people who post here, Seahawks fans in general, the Seahawks organization, or sports media? I have no idea. I haven't seen a lot of "hate" for Matthews so I'm confused. If it were Kearse, Lockette, or Williams, I'd understand the source.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
bmorepunk":29xcrkow said:
King Dog":29xcrkow said:
bmorepunk":29xcrkow said:
JAGHAWK":29xcrkow said:

Yes, please define "we".

Sure. "We," meaning the Seahawks. I know I'm not on the team or anything :D

I don't prefer saying "we" when talking about myself in relation to the team, but I accept that others do it and its not a big deal. In this case, it muddles things to the point where "we" is completely ambiguous. Was the OP talking about the people who post here, Seahawks fans in general, the Seahawks organization, or sports media? I have no idea. I haven't seen a lot of "hate" for Matthews so I'm confused. If it were Kearse, Lockette, or Williams, I'd understand the source.

I'm the OP and I just told you what I meant by "we."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
King Dog":phy506p8 said:
The guy shows what he can do on the field in the Super Bowl, then you basically never throw to him again - seems logical.

Logical is for him to get better at all the things I mentioned...........then he'd see more playing time.

Sorry, but I'm going to side with the SB/college championship winning future HOF coach as to why Matthews isn't playing, not some dude who woke up today and decided to write a "oh yeah hey why do we hate Matthews, remember when he caught that one TD in the SB!" thread.