Kearse - The Seahawks Weeble Wobble

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I hate to keep beating up on the guy, but I am curious as to how he can have so many inexcusable plays in games without his playing time being affected.

First, the INT on the long ball was RW's fault. Simple. That said, the lack of effort by Kearse was really the antithesis of Seahawk football. My problem is, this seems to be a recurring theme with Kearse.

I don't think I have ever seen an outside WR get washed out of so many plays. It's hard not to think it's effort related considering the play last night. Now, I'm not here to outright condemn Kearse, but I do think that his mistakes/lack of consistency far outweigh his big plays (which there have been quite a few).

It's really an interesting internal debate I have about him. There's no doubting how many monumental plays he has made as a Seahawk, some of which will be some of the top highlights over the next 25 years. But again, it is becoming really hard to watch him get totally washed out of plays and it's this lack of consistency that really bothers me. I think as a #3/4 WR, he's an absolute gem, but as a guy who sees regular snaps, I am not sure how much longer I can stomach him.

Lastly, which leads to my last point; there's a high likelihood that Kearse is gone next year which leaves a hole on the outside at WR (with a bigger WR). This leads to an interesting conundrum because I think we will play our way out of a top tier OL in the draft meaning we could have the opportunity to draft a guy like Laquon Treadwell. I think it will be very interesting to see how it plays out in the next offseason. We have a lot of talent at WR; I'm just not sure we have anybody on the outside who can consistently win.

Great win yesterday...loved the aggressiveness. I think we may be watching something special about to happen.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Would like to see that catch he made over the top for the first down yesterday, I thought for sure he dropped it.

I really hope Richardson gets back to full strength after the bye, there's no reason he shouldn't eat into Kearse's snaps if so. Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson would be one of the better 3 WR groups in the league.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I agree with you when he doesn't fight for the ball. That interception where Russell threw to him last night, he should've kept running and at least try to break it up instead of standing there and watch another player catch it.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Three reasons Kearse is still there
1. He's a very good value for the money
2. He stays healthy
3. RW has excellent chemistry with him

He is not going anywhere until those reasons no longer apply.

He had no chance to break up that interception. It was way over thrown and the defender was already over the top of Kearse by a couple of steps and there was no way Kearse ever get to where the ball actually came down. But lets pat RW on the back for making a horrible throw simply because it was aggressive.

:17:

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
For every 2 poor plays the third one he executes to perfection.

I don't care about his negatives. If he has something positive to bring, like the occasional long ball that helps us win games, I say keep him.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Kearse is only second to Jimmy Graham in receiving yards currently. He's not playing as a Pro Bowl talent but I see no reason for him to be benched. Maybe Lockett and possibly Richardson could get some of his snaps later in the season but for now I don't see a problem with him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He had no chance to break up the INT? Only because he quit on the play and it happens all the time with Kearse. He has improved his hands but thats about it. If Richardson doesn't cut into his snaps then I will be shocked. I said it when we signed him for 2.3 million that it was a terrible signing and got killed on the board for it. I would of taken any of a handful of offensive lineman for that price that are playing light years better than our lineman.

If you're having two terrible plays to every 1 good play you are expendable in the NFL. 2 steps back and one step forward=a 3 win season. Don't really follow this reasoning.

Kearse has improved a little this off season but still a way below average starter in this league and if Richardson hadn't gotten hurt he would be starting over him.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
austinslater25":224g2dvw said:
He had no chance to break up the INT? Only because he quit on the play and it happens all the time with Kearse. He has improved his hands but thats about it. If Richardson doesn't cut into his snaps then I will be shocked. I said it when we signed him for 2.3 million that it was a terrible signing and got killed on the board for it. I would of taken any of a handful of offensive lineman for that price that are playing light years better than our lineman.

If you're having two terrible plays to every 1 good play you are expendable in the NFL. 2 steps back and one step forward=a 3 win season. Don't really follow this reasoning.

Kearse has improved a little this off season but still a way below average starter in this league and if Richardson hadn't gotten hurt he would be starting over him.

Don't take the ratio too seriously. I just wanted to explain how much more valuable Kearse is to the offense than most people believe.

I just don't understand the negativity around him. He makes liek what, a million? Hardly takes up much space in the cap and makes pretty good plays, I can definitely overlook his negative plays. It's the first half of the season so naturally he's going to miss some catches he should have made, but I have a feeling he'll play the best he ever has the next 9 games.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":1gqg4zjg said:
Three reasons Kearse is still there
1. He's a very good value for the money
2. He stays healthy
3. RW has excellent chemistry with him

He is not going anywhere until those reasons no longer apply.

He had no chance to break up that interception. It was way over thrown and the defender was already over the top of Kearse by a couple of steps and there was no way Kearse ever get to where the ball actually came down. But lets pat RW on the back for making a horrible throw simply because it was aggressive.

:17:

No patting Russ on the back, it was an absolutely terrible throw, but Kearse slowed in his route because he was double covered and I guess thought there was no way it would be coming his way. It shouldn't have been coming his way, but it did, not the first time such a scenario has happened with the same result, both have some blame.

Someone mentioned in the gameday forum that Russ treats Kearse like Megatron in his prime and it's so true, I think Russ will become a better player when throwing to a top 3 of Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson. Richardson is quicker than Kearse and was snagging almost everything thrown near him toward the end of last year. I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but if Richardson returns to full strength then there should be absolutely no reason Kearse should see more snaps than him.

And I'm not hating on Kearse, I actually think he's a solid number 3 receiver in most other teams in the league and it's not his fault Russ gives him the Megatron treatment, we've just got better.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Those who know me on here know I don't like Kearse. But RW seems comfortable with him for whatever reason.

I would really prefer if the balls went in order, Graham, Doug, Lockett, Running back, Matthews, Kearse, Lockette

In that order. So the nicest thing I can say about Kearse is i'd rather him get thrown the ball then Ricardo...........

StoneCold

Reaction score
Kearse is smarter than RW and knew it was a bad idea to throw into double coverage and never imagined that he would actually try it and when he saw that he had it was too late. Ball never should have been thrown.

Ozzy

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":9dxsy8cy said:
austinslater25":9dxsy8cy said:

Don't take the ratio too seriously. I just wanted to explain how much more valuable Kearse is to the offense than most people believe.

I just don't understand the negativity around him. He makes liek what, a million? Hardly takes up much space in the cap and makes pretty good plays, I can definitely overlook his negative plays. It's the first half of the season so naturally he's going to miss some catches he should have made, but I have a feeling he'll play the best he ever has the next 9 games.

Thats valid on the ratio thing. I disagree with you on his value but I do hope your right and he proves me wrong. If I'm a betting man I put my money on Richardson and that's with the blown out knee factored in. Either way I just hope someone steps up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Richardson or Lockett will be the outside receivers. Once Richardson is back and gets his groove, Kearse will be the #3 and #4 WR like he was in 2013. That's a better role for Kearse.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Kearse likely slowed up because he was going to come back toward RW. He just happened to do so at the same time RW decided to chuck it deep. I don't blame Kearse at all for that one...when the QB is scrambling around, the WRs practically have to guess whether or not they should keep running deep or try to run back toward the QB and help him out with a shorter throw.

drdiags

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":t67l2ayj said:
... He makes liek what, a million? Hardly takes up much space in the cap and makes pretty good plays, I can definitely overlook his negative plays.

He is making ~$2.5M (Someone just quoted $2.3M). I thought the team was going to reduce the contract but unlike Jeron Johnson and Chris Maragos, they didn't redo their tender before going into the season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1qgqb2po said:
Richardson or Lockett will be the outside receivers. Once Richardson is back and gets his groove, Kearse will be the #3 and #4 WR like he was in 2013. That's a better role for Kearse.

Agreed and I like him in that role.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I don't think there is much Kearse could have done on that play. My biggest issue with him this year is his speed, or lack there of. What happened to him in the offseason? Is he playing with $2.3 Million dollars of quarters in his pants? I know he was never a burner but god, this year he is soooo slow. If he was as fast as an average WR, he would have 3 more TD's this year.

Polk738

Reaction score
Kearse has made some of the most memorable plays for this team that I've ever seen, but that's kinda the problem as he's known more for the clutch memorable plays rather than the consistent plays most people would probably rather see from him. I wasn't quite sure what Russ was thinking on that INT, as he usually doesn't throw to Kearse in double coverage, but I think Kearse slowed down on his route because he might've seen Russ in trouble-stupid play regardless.

titan3131

Reaction score
Kearse belongs on the practice squad. I am not interested in spending any money on this kid any longer.