Making too much of the 4 losses?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Everyone is searching for the key. Is it chemistry, trust, desire, got paid, scheme, coaches, ability, communication, Ciara, play calls, new DC, old OC, Pete's choice of gum at halftime?

Maybe we just lost. I'm not saying we shouldn't look or analyze stats or discuss team psychology. But just maybe we came out on the short end of the stick. Every team is decent to good to great and we've played some of the best teams in the league. Over the last few years we've played a lot of close games. That's Pete's style. Odds are, if you play close games, you're going to lose some. And it will always come down to a few close plays. They go your way? You win. And if not, you lose. Not fun, but maybe there is no one huge problem. Just little ones that add up and can bite you in the parity of the NFL?

BlackMike

Reaction score
3 of your 4 loses were to teams that are currently Undefeated.

3 of your 4 loses were by 4 points or less.

4th Quarter comebacks have been killing the Seahawks.

You're getting everyone's best shot. It's too early to call the season a loss.... But its time you get your butts in gear. There are no consolation prizes for losing, but its not like you're playing the Browns and the Raiders every week.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
You made a good point, maybe it's just you win some, you lose some.

But doesn't it feel like something is just "off" with this team?

I'm no sure its one particular thing. They just seem uninspired to me...

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
DeeHawks":2kjtyk7u said:
But doesn't it feel like something is just "off" with this team? Not sure if
It's one particular thing. They just seem uninspired to me...

Yes it does seem like their off. What I can't pinpoint is if it's something new or just how we look when examined under the light of losses. If you were to go back to close games last year that we won and look at them under the losers microscope, would we see the flaws that we don't notice when we win.

I am definitely not giving up on this season. We may have issues, but it feels like we are so close to clicking I can't wait for Thursday.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Cyrus12":kvdziw4l said:
remember we should be 1-5....think there is more to this than just bad luck..

I'm not saying it's bad luck. I'm saying the margin between winning and losing is small and it only takes a few off plays to change the outcome. Which is a good thing for us because it's not a talent issue. Hugh Millen describes the final TD to Olsen and he says their was miscommunication about what defense they should all be playing. Those are things that can be changed.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BlackMike":13apwm14 said:

You're getting everyone's best shot. It's too early to call the season a loss.... But its time you get your butts in gear. There are no consolation prizes for losing, but its not like you're playing the Browns and the Raiders every week.

Have to agree that the play of other teams seems to be working.

Have fun on the board and Welcome. :2:

Go Hawks

DeeHawks

Reaction score
StoneCold":1w68bq2m said:
DeeHawks":1w68bq2m said:
But doesn't it feel like something is just "off" with this team? Not sure if
It's one particular thing. They just seem uninspired to me...

Yes it does seem like their off. What I can't pinpoint is if it's something new or just how we look when examined under the light of losses. If you were to go back to close games last year that we won and look at them under the losers microscope, would we see the flaws that we don't notice when we win.

I am definitely not giving up on this season. We may have issues, but it feels like we are so close to clicking I can't wait for Thursday.
Oh I'm not giving up either. And speaking of "clicking" I think Wilson said something after the loss Sunday "I believe once we start to click, it will be hard to stop us"..... We better start clicking soon, we are 6 games into the season. Hopefully that starts on Thursday...!! Go Hawks.

RiverDog

Reaction score
StoneCold":1685j63m said:
Everyone is searching for the key. Is it chemistry, trust, desire, got paid, scheme, coaches, ability, communication, Ciara, play calls, new DC, old OC, Pete's choice of gum at halftime?

Maybe we just lost. I'm not saying we shouldn't look or analyze stats or discuss team psychology. But just maybe we came out on the short end of the stick. Every team is decent to good to great and we've played some of the best teams in the league. Over the last few years we've played a lot of close games. That's Pete's style. Odds are, if you play close games, you're going to lose some. And it will always come down to a few close plays. They go your way? You win. And if not, you lose. Not fun, but maybe there is no one huge problem. Just little ones that add up and can bite you in the parity of the NFL?

The problem isn't the 4 losses (and really we have to include the win over the Lions, too), nor is it the quality of opponents we've faced. It's how we've lost.

We cannot hold a lead. All teams have to do is hang with us through 3 quarters and they have a better than 50/50 shot at winning. If we're ahead, our offense becomes predictable, and we can't run the ball and keep the clock moving. We make our hay in the running game during Quarters 1-3, when there is still a legitimate run-pass threat. Minus a running threat, nothing else on offense works. Our offensive line is not a dominating enough force to grind out yards when we don't have a passing threat. Even at its peak, our defense hasn't been great at keeping teams out of scoring position in the 4th quarter, with previous seasons games against the Niners, Falcons, Panthers, Rams, Cowboys, Chiefs, et al being examples.

I don't see it getting better overnight. We might have enough firepower to beat the Niners on Thursday as they've had one of the worst offseasons in modern NFL history, but I'm not holding my breath. We're in for a long year, and no amount of rationalization of our losses is going to change that likelihood.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We've been in every game. I don't like our offense, but I'd like 2009-type helplessness a lot less.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's the way we've lost, not necessarily to whom or by how much.

In all of our losses, we've actually had a positive turn over ratio.

We've lost a 4th quarter lead in every loss. Sure, we've been in it, but it was 17 points to the Bengals and 10 points to a Carolina team that is strongest running the ball and with really only one good option for passing. They're not built for 4th quarter come backs.

This tells me that it isn't the competition so much as there's something wrong with us. And if there's something wrong with us, it's going to keep working against us until it gets fixed. It's not some anomaly or lucky play by other teams, this is consistent problems within our system.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think it's both the wins and losses which have been troubling.

For a team that was supposed to be at the very top of the league before the season started, after six games they've only really been totally in control against a 2-4 Bears team that was without Jeffrey and had to start Jimmy Clausen that week. :lol: The Bears starting Clausen are BY FAR the worst team in the NFL, and it's not even remotely close.

Getting bailed out at home against a really bad Lions team is more concerning than losing to the Packers, IMO. Even in the most Hawks friendly reading the team is an end-of-game goalline fumble away from being 1-5.

Put another way, I don't think it's just the 4 losses that might have some Hawks fans concerned; it's the two wins also.

(Worth saying that despite saying the above, I expect the Hawks to to still turn their season around and make the playoffs)

hawkfannj

Reaction score
BlackMike":1mu160ne said:

Two of our wins come from awful teams we barely beat .
It doesn't matter who the team is we are struggling with everyone

mrt144

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1v8ij16o said:
BlackMike":1v8ij16o said:

Two of our wins come from awful teams we barely beat .
It doesn't matter who the team is we are struggling with everyone

22-0 is not barely beating. They were barely breathing.

byau

Reaction score
I don't think you can make too much about 4 losses. It's serious

At this point there is a fine line between the silver lining and denial

There are plenty of silver linings, moral victories, and positive takeaways. I was on board with this before and still am to some degree.

However, as you near the mid-point of the season, you are AT BEST going to be a .500 team. On paper, at best, you are average and mediocre.

While the moral victories means that the terms "average" and "mediocre" shouldn't define this team, because we know they are better than that, not taking the terms "average" and "mediocre" seriously as part of the discussion is flat out denial

It's not so much 4 losses, it's that we are at best a .500 team going into mid-season. At best .. completely average.

chris98251

Reaction score
The only people happy with a .333 average are baseball players. I guess we should be happy really, our winning percentage is still above the Mariner team Batting average.

Fade

Reaction score
Cyrus12":i14b39zs said:
remember we should be 1-5....think there is more to this than just bad luck..
Yes, bad coordinating.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
It's all too small a sample size to put the onus on any one thing.

drdiags

Reaction score
The Seahawks have had issues holding onto leads late since Pete's been here. Something like 14 4th quarter losses. The year the team won the Bowl they lost late to the Cards at home. They were a "Tip" away from letting the 9ers come back on them after several turnovers by the 9ers late in that game.

The season after winning the Bowl they let Peyton come back late to force OT at home. They lost to the Boys after letting Romo hit them with a big 3rd down play.

I tend to remember the feeling that if they were leading by multiple scores late, they win. Or if they had to run a 4 minute offense to win, they could. But truth be told, no matter the injury status of the secondary, they gave up a two score lead in the 4th of the last Superbowl.

This season, they haven't been good from start to finish in any game. Even the Bears should have been closer if that non-fumble call is made correctly on the punt.

Right now they just are not making the plays when given a chance. More like they are failing to execute the basic when that is all that is needed. Bailey slipping on a 3rd down bomb in the Rams game or Wilson throwing an INT to a DL as they are driving to recapture a lead they had just given up in the 4th.

The why's are what fuels the discussions but in the end it isn't like this behavior is totally foreign to the team until this year. Just more cringe-worthy stuff happening in a shorter window. I don't expect a drastic change anytime soon. But I am hopeful.

Latest posts