Tom Brady is a quarterback
Aaron Rodgers is a quarterback
Tony Romo is a quarterback
Carson Palmer is a quarterback
Matt Flynn is a quarterback...albeit, not a very good one

Cam Newton is a playmaker
Colin Kaepernick is a playmaker
Robert Griffin is a playmaker...albeit, not a very good one

And Russ is a playmaker. Unlike the quarterbacks, Russ doesn't really have a pocket game. He rarely gets the ball out quickly. But, he is at his best when he's on the run. And unlike the other playmakers, he is an elite playmaker. Plus, he has a mean deep ball. The Hawks can win games with him being a playmaker, obviously. But his first three years were masked with him playing with historically great defenses. And yes, he's orchestrated more than a few amazing comebacks. But now that he's playing with a borderline deplorable defense, we're seeing him struggle (a lot of blame falls on Darrell Wayne, too), is Russ being just a playmaker a bad thing, with this bad defense?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I will agree with you that Wilson is not a great pocket passer at this time. I think if he had a line that would give him a nice pocket more than half the time he would be fine in the pocket. He is a great playmaker but our receivers can not seem to run the scramble drill very well. Russ does get in trouble at times because he tries too much to make things happen and doesn't look up the field. Our OC is the biggest problem imo.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Newton is actually a QB though. He runs when he can get yards or he sits in the pocket and throws. He doesn't scramble every single play.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Wilson might never blossom to a true pocket passer. He might not have the cognitive capacity and ability to just let it rip quickly without moving around the pocket and scrambling.

If so, that's fine, you more or less have to build a team with an offensive coordinator that can adapt to his skill set and maximize their opportunities when it's there.

Easier said than done!

mrt144

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2uzf8lcb said:
Newton is actually a QB though. He runs when he can get yards or he sits in the pocket and throws. He doesn't scramble every single play.

And neither does Wilson but hey, we're in a shooting gallery of cognitive bias tonight.

mrkyle

Reaction score
I said this on another thread. Its time to Bench WIlson. Bring in TJ see how it goes. Thats what the other guy is for. Either injury or spark. This team needs one.

Hire a new OC and qb coach if you want to teach wilson. He needs coaching and offseason practice on how to be a qb. His pocket game and ability to get ball out on a blitz is non existent. His pocket out routes are off. Its just to many things that a NFL qb needs to do he can't.

Watching cam rifle that stuff in off a blitz, was the total opposite, of Wilson. Everytime a blitz htis, wilson runs, never gets rid of the ball,

Atradees

Reaction score
I maybe finally on-board. I hate losing. 20 years of it plus the recent success spoils one. This team cant beat anyone.

erik2690

Reaction score
mrkyle":3lmjg9ka said:
I said this on another thread. Its time to Bench WIlson. Bring in TJ see how it goes. Thats what the other guy is for. Either injury or spark. This team needs one.

Hire a new OC and qb coach if you want to teach wilson. He needs coaching and offseason practice on how to be a qb. His pocket game and ability to get ball out on a blitz is non existent. His pocket out routes are off. Its just to many things that a NFL qb needs to do he can't.

Watching cam rifle that stuff in off a blitz, was the total opposite, of Wilson. Everytime a blitz htis, wilson runs, never gets rid of the ball,

First of all you have to be joking about benching. You have to be. Also, have you checked his numbers against the blitz? They aren't bad. Maybe too many sacks, not sure on the numbers there, but his passing against the blitz is not bad.

His numbers from the pocket really aren't bad at all either. To me it's more that the offense and RW are failing situationally rather than they are terrible. Too many sacks and 3rd down/red zone conversion are the big issues. And kinda always have been to an extent. People seem to not remember just how little teams were scoring on us and how late we could just run for first downs. The run push is non-existent, forcing pass, lengthening the game and when we don't get it giving the other team more possessions. During that win streak last year we won games, 19/3, 19/3, 20/6 and 17/7. The offense needs to step up, but the formula is changing it seems because of the lack of run gain and it's having some serious growing pains.

mrt144

Reaction score
erik2690":2xiaj27e said:
mrkyle":2xiaj27e said:

First of all you have to be joking about benching. You have to be. Also, have you checked his numbers against the blitz? They aren't bad. Maybe too many sacks, not sure on the numbers there, but his passing against the blitz is not bad.

His numbers from the pocket really aren't bad at all either. To me it's more that the offense and RW are failing situationally rather than they are terrible. Too many sacks and 3rd down/red zone conversion are the big issues. And kinda always have been to an extent. People seem to not remember just how little teams were scoring on us and how late we could just run for first downs. The run push is non-existent, forcing pass, lengthening the game and when we don't get it giving the other team more possessions. During that win streak last year we won games, 19/3, 19/3, 20/6 and 17/7. The offense needs to step up, but the formula is changing it seems because of the lack of run gain and it's having some serious growing pains.

This is truth. They are failing situationally at almost every juncture.

OP
OP
Thepeelsessions

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
mrkyle":34c2vxnf said:

Whoa, hold the phone. Russ doesn't need to get sent to the bench. Then we'd really be in a world of hurt. I do agree with you on hitting a new OC ( I'm not saying Bevell should be let go. Actually, yes, I am) and position coach. Wilson needs a lot of coaching up. He needs to learn how to win with no defense. He's not always going to have a great defense to back him up. Case in point, this years defense. Jailbreak football won't always cut it when you're constantly having to trout back on the field to retake the lead. He needs to be quicker with his reads. He needs to work on his check down game. He can't be so skittish all the time. He needs to learn how to be an NFL quarterback. But that doesn't mean he needs to completely abandon his playmaking abilities. I love seeing him make team's pay with his legs.

And a lot of his struggles are on the piss poor excuse of an O line as well. But not all of them. Numerous times when the protection is there, he'll still hold onto the ball way too long and won't even see an open man. He always says he models his game after Brees, but I don't see that at all. Brees and Russ are completely different types of players. Their only similarity is their build.

mrt144

Reaction score
Eli Manning hasn't been benched for objectively worse play. People treat the Seahawks like a high school football team.

mrkyle

Reaction score
erik2690":13w9fumu said:
mrkyle":13w9fumu said:

I think its time to do something drastic straight up. I dont for one minute believe this was ever wilsons team anyway. It was lynch, sherman, okung, wilson was just on for the ride.

I think tj being a passer before a runner could shake things up a little bit. Wilson is salvageable. But needs new people with him.
Its gonna get worse. Defenses have figured him out.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Maybe our offensive coordinator should start thinking outside the box on how to get our "playmaker" in better position to make plays. If he can't stand in the pocket and make throws don't make him stand in the pocket.

mrkyle

Reaction score
I also think there was a belieft that is fading, that they new wilson wasnt really an nfl qb. But that his dual option was so good that he didnt need to be a nfl qb. The thing is 40 year old peyton manning that can barely through a ball anymore. Is more effective, than the young buck wilson. Because he gets the ball out consistenly to his playmakers

peppersjap

Reaction score
The problem I see with Wilson this year is that when he is pressured he steps up in the pocket more often than he used too instead of getting outside of the pocket where he makes things happen. If they want to make Wilson a pocket passer with a questionable line we will not succeed which had pretty much been the story in the 1st half of every season he has played, our defense just isn't carrying us this year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except....

When Wilson is in a 2 min drill he marches down the field with seeming impunity. If he was really this incompetent, would that not be the time that his inability would be the most glaring? Why the opposite?

Isn't it interesting that the less contact Russ has with Bevell, the more effective he is?

And by the way, Elway did just fine as a scrambling QB "playmaker" and so did Steve Young. Now Wilson is no Young but you cannot tell me he cannot do the Elway thing if he wants?

mrkyle

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20k2zo4a said:
Except....

When Wilson is in a 2 min drill he marches down the field with seeming impunity. If he was really this incompetent, would that not be the time that his inability would be the most glaring? Why the opposite?

Isn't it interesting that the less contact Russ has with Bevell, the more effective he is?

And by the way, Elway did just fine as a scrambling QB "playmaker" and so did Steve Young. Now Wilson is no Young but you cannot tell me he cannot do the Elway thing if he wants?

Steve young was more like rodgers. And later years like the superbowl year he was pretty much a pocket qb. Plus the nfl is different now. QB's have to be better now than then. Wilson woulda been an all-pro back then

thebanjodude

Reaction score
mrkyle":3g6c4o4j said:

mrkyle":3g6c4o4j said:
I think its time to do something drastic straight up. I dont for one minute believe this was ever wilsons team anyway. It was lynch, sherman, okung, wilson was just on for the ride.

I think tj being a passer before a runner could shake things up a little bit. Wilson is salvageable. But needs new people with him.
Its gonna get worse. Defenses have figured him out.

Of all the dumb things I've seen posted on .Net, this takes the cake. Jackson has never been a viable NFL starter. Do you really think that the Seahawks players would be happy with this move, considering they and everyone else knows it would decrease their chances of winning?